What About Your Tractor Makes You Swear?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Replacing parts all the time. Just had to put in a new headlight bulb. That's the second unplanned part failure since I got the darn thing. The first one was a sensor switch. Talk about unreliable. Of course I bought it new in April, 2002. :)

Yea that sounds HORRIBLE! :mad:

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
It used to be mounting the FEL. But, the dealer made some adjustments and I've gotten better at it. hat.

Curious, what did your dealer adjust?
I dread taking the FEL off my L3301 because of the PITA of putting it back on.
It seems like one arm never wants to go back into the mount during the reinstallation.

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
  1. The beer holder is set back a bit too far
  2. There is no ashtray
  3. The pto and hydraulic levers are easily mixed up
  4. The saftey seat switch is too sensitive

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
  1. The beer holder is set back a bit too far
  2. There is no ashtray
  3. The pto and hydraulic levers are easily mixed up
  4. The saftey seat switch is too sensitive
1. Buy some plastic tube and run from beer to near mouth, just suck it up no hands.
2. Quit smoking and gain weight, see #4.
3. Suck up more beer until you don't care which lever plus gain more weight, see #4.
4. Gain more weight and hold the seat down better.:D:D:D

Reactions: 1 users

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
Only thing that's made me swear is hooking up my three point rotary cutter. That can be a PITA but I am learning little tricks to make it easier. The cutter is more difficult to attach than lighter implements because it's much harder to scoot it this way or that.

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
Curious, what did your dealer adjust?
I dread taking the FEL off my L3301 because of the PITA of putting it back on.
It seems like one arm never wants to go back into the mount during the reinstallation.
That's the same problem I had. It appears that they ground down some flash and lubed everything up.

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
First post everyone...howdy!

Just bought a used L4600 with 70-something hours on it. Love it so far, only had it a few days.

1. Parking brake does not stop the tractor. It appears to need adjustment based on what I read here. But it SUCKS to have to put a rock under the wheel of my brand new tractor!

2. Sometimes hard to shift between speed ranges (HST trans). Apparently the clutch may need adjustment.

Original owner had it in for its 50-hr service...you'd think they would have adjusted stuff. :rolleyes:

Glad to have found this place though! :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The person behind the steering wheel. Even with the ( P ) light on, I still try to move the tractor without releasing the "Parking" brake :eek:.
Hughes covered it quick - the main thing that makes me swear is the idiot behind the wheel!!:D

I don't let anyone drive it, so any guesses who the idiot is?

First guess doesn't count.......;)

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The key switch.

I have put my left knee into the switch when turning around to clear in reverse, killing the engine a few dozen times, always at 2500 RPM!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

That aside, I "swear" I couldn't get half of what I do done without that machine.

Ray

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I was going to make a post about the loader on my 3301 tonight. I was very pleased with how mine came off and back on. I did not have any problems with anything lining up until I went to hook up the hoses. They need to be 4 to 6 inches longer so I can hook them up before the loader is in the mounting brackets. It was a bear to hook them up because the post is in the way. The lines on the loader picked up pressure but I know how to release it from experance with my skid steer. I always hit my knee on my light switch and turn the blinkers on. Now to the box blade It seems like Land Pride could have a better way to adjust the rippers other than with a pair of pliers

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
How about the engineer that made the front latch for the mmm.
Handle on one side and the latch pin on the other!:mad:

With the fel on I have to dance around!

Ray

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
2. Sometimes hard to shift between speed ranges (HST trans). Apparently the clutch may need adjustment.
Howdy yourself, from another new OTT member, but one who's owned his Kubotas for several years.

That HST range selector is indeed pretty notchy all on its own and it's not likely the clutch has anything to do with it. It will get better with use, but it was made for strength, not ease of shifting and it for sure will never shift like a sports car.

Fortunately most owners, the mid range is a good all-around choice for most chores. With my larger Kubota, I only need to drop into low for things like heavy pulling, hard digging with the FEL or work on steep grades. And high range is pretty much limited to use on paved roads.

Brief suggestions about living with that range selector:
- Keep the front wheels straight when shifting.
- Let the tractor coast to a stop on its own, preferably on level ground.
- You may need to rock it a bit forward/back before trying to shift.
- Keep the shift linkages clean and lubed. Your choice of lubricants. Even a shot of WD40 down in the shifter slots will help.
- Work the shifter a lot initially to get it loosened up. Once you get into a position where the shifter works, you should be able to move it freely between ranges.

Hope that's helpful and that you'll enjoy your new tractor.

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
Thanks Grandad! I will make a note of all those things - heard a few of them already but not all. It's my first tractor so I have a lot to learn - like when to use low vs. medium range.

So glad I found this place.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have found that raising the front of the tractor with the FEL makes it a lot easier to mount the MMM. I raise the front of the tractor and then I can crawl under it easier to attach the drive shaft to the PTO. After I attach the drive shaft, I lower the tractor and position the MMM to the rear mount points and lock them in. Then I raise the FEL out of the way and attach the front mount. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes and I am ready to mow. As everyone here already knows, taking the MMM off takes only about 2 minutes.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Not something my tractor did but recently a younger couple moved into the house beside me, we are the only two out here. The wind picked up a few weeks ago, we live in the middle of a field basically, and a bunch of his trash blew into my yard and field. I picked up the trash in my driveway while leaving for work when it first happened and "assumed" they pick up the rest within a day or two. Guess that's what I get for assuming. A couple days later I went to mow my yard and end up having to get off my tractor 8X pick pick up his trash. Believe me when I say I do my best to keep my cool during most situations but the diaper was the last straw. I flung the box that I had filled with their trash toward their yard only to have the wind pick up and blow it right back into mine before it even hit the ground. I laughed at myself, picked it up again three it away and grabbed a beer. A few days later I walked my field to clean up the rest of their mess. I figured, well they're young work a lot and have a child so I gave them the benefit of doubt, until I saw him drive up pulling his bass boat. ***129300;

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Why not offer to help him build some kind of containment area for his trash cans. Then you solve the problem, have an opportunity to be a good coach, and end up with a good neighbor....not someone you mumble about under your breath every time you see them.

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Banging my head against the ROPS when folded down greasing the back hoe. The ROPS should know I am a careless idiot and move out of my way.

The ROPS should be 2" lower so when it is driven into the garage with it up, it does not hit the brick mold and rip it off (not that I'd ever be so stupid and careless and let it happen, but it might to someone else.....)

Getting the diff lock to engage with my foot heal. Why can't it be electric with a pull knob on the dash? I'd also like to see the diff lock, lock all four wheels. My P/U has it, it makes it unstoppable.

I miss the ability to separate the right and left rear brakes. It was nice to be able to steer using the brakes when the bucket has the fronts off the ground when back dragging.

I wish the HST had an actual fluid cooler and not a drive shaft fan.

I wish the HST sump screen was not in the bottom of the sump. It could of easily been mounted higher up with a little engineering (Large pipe going to a cavity, where the screen would reside and then off to the suction pump. Worse case would be the need to prime when changing fluid.

I wish the front tires were larger diameter.

I am amazed at how easy it is to remove and attached the back hoe. Well done! Can't complain and not give at least one compliment. Sort of like a bad blind date. You can always say, at some point, the date ended ;)

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Not something my tractor did but recently a younger couple moved into the house beside me, we are the only two out here. The wind picked up a few weeks ago, we live in the middle of a field basically, and a bunch of his trash blew into my yard and field. I picked up the trash in my driveway while leaving for work when it first happened and "assumed" they pick up the rest within a day or two. Guess that's what I get for assuming. A couple days later I went to mow my yard and end up having to get off my tractor 8X pick pick up his trash. Believe me when I say I do my best to keep my cool during most situations but the diaper was the last straw. I flung the box that I had filled with their trash toward their yard only to have the wind pick up and blow it right back into mine before it even hit the ground. I laughed at myself, picked it up again three it away and grabbed a beer. A few days later I walked my field to clean up the rest of their mess. I figured, well they're young work a lot and have a child so I gave them the benefit of doubt, until I saw him drive up pulling his bass boat. ***129300;
Been there a few times. I had a neighbor whose property was slightly uphill from mine. She never would rake her leaves. They'd end up in my yard. I put up a chicken wire fence. She got offended.:p

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
The hydraulic system on my tractor makes me cuss. I think the FEL was an after thought so it's plumbed in just on the other side of the valve under the seat. The three pint hitch has to be all the way up, valve closed, other valve open and tongue held just right for the front end loader to work. Then I need the blade again and everything is fubared again!