Oversized LPGS for L2501?

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
I share a gravel road with several neighbors that is about half a mile long. We have had commercial operators bring in limestone and resurface it and that lasts a few months at best before potholes show up. The surrounding ground is sand and water sinks in pretty quick. I have a box blade but my neighbor has a Armstrong Ag land plane. It is a monster.

LP side.jpg

Spec sheet says the 7' DBG7 is 853lb and the DBG8 8' is 921lb. They recommend 10hp per foot. I lost a few rpm when it loaded up with rock but it kept pulling.

LP rear.jpg

I managed to smooth the road in about 8 passes running at 2400rpm, about 300rpm above PTO. The road is about 3 widths of the attachment. I didn't throw a tape measure on it but it looks like it's at least 7'. I think I would buy a bit smaller one but my 3pt can lift it. I was able to adjust on the fly with the TnT. My plan is to grade the road every other month or so.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If your 3-pt picks it up without difficulty at lower rpm...then it’s not too big.
Armstrong-Ag makes good equipment. (Bunch of Aggies)

But you might wish to compare the asking price versus the LP which has rippers and replaceable/reverseable blades. That Ag landplane doesn’t appear to have either, and it’s a matter of time before the lower cutter-blade wears out. The Ag unit will require modification/welding/etc. to make that repair.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Nice. Land Planes I think are easier to pull that box blades or harrows. Thats just my calculation given land planes dont dig in as bad or offer as much resistance - they can often glide on top of the ground.

Ive shared this numerous times before but I pull a 76" (6 foot 3 inches) disc harrow that weights over 700 Lbs. I broke a new garden this weekend with it, and had the discs burried in florida sand. I had to go into 4wd once the ground became super loose as the back tires started to spin. I had the disc harrow in the 2nd to most aggressive setting which increases the resistence a lot I notice. Just going one notch up on the angle ofthe discs can make it so I dont need 4wd. The L2501 has a lot of pulling bower. With FEL and my root rake on the front Im around 4,500 - 5,000 Lbs. With the disc on the tractor the whole package is over 5,000lbs. Thats a lot of weight I think for a 25HP tractor. As we know though the L2501 has a fairly large 25hp engine, much larger than the 25hp engines on the bx or B series, and when you add the extra weight, its a great pulling tractor at that Horse power range. Ive surprised several people..they hear "25 hp tractor" and they think of a lawn mower..Then they see it and theyre like "I would have thought was like a 40 HP tractor just watching it.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I have a 1000# BB that I pull behind my L2501. Youre good especially if its mainly gravel.

tawood

Equipment
L2501
Apr 18, 2020
Lapeer, MI
That's awesome...and I would point out, that if you had asked this forum first if your L2501 could run this implement, you would have had nearly a universal response of "no way".

BTW, nearly every implement I run with my L2501 I'm told my L2501 can't handle: 60" tiller, 72" mower, 60" hog, 7' snow blade, etc.

Reactions: 1 users