PTO Input Shaft Replacement Help please!

Ryquade

Equipment
1974 Kubota B6000E
May 31, 2020
Homer Glen, IL, USA
I recently bought a 1974 Kubota B6000E 2wd tractor. While I was doing some tilling my input shaft broke. Argh! Luckily I have a fiend who is a member of a tractor club and he was able to get me a used one quickly. I removed the old cracked shaft and installed the new one with a new bearing a seal. It seemed like a relatively easy job. I accomplished this by removing the 3 bolts at the rear and the shaft came out fairly easily. Everything was re-installed quickly however, after testing the new pto. Its not spinning . After removing and reinstalling a couple of time it appears to be in the proper position except it only spins lightly when no pressure is applied to it. If I put my finger on the back side of the pto shaft it stops spinning, almost as if its a bad clutch plate inside. I NEED HELP please! Im hoping I dont have to split the case for repair. Im testing it with minimum hydraulic oil in the case. Is it required for proper fumctionality, or is it ok to test it before adding hydraulic fluid according to specifications. Btw, I did make sure that it was in gear, lol.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
There looks to be a splined collar or BOSS connection the fifth/PTO shaft inside the case. Thinking when you pulled the failed shaft, the boss fell off and is just laying loose.

See figure #44 in attached PDF

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Whitetiger's diagnosis seems perfect.

Hydraulic oil is not going to change anything in terms of making the pto work.

First try removing the newly installed pto shaft and go in with a flexible magnet.

If the above does not work you may get lucky by removing the top of the 3 pt assembly and/or the top of the transmission in terms of retrieving the connecting piece.

Dave

Last edited:

Ryquade

Equipment
1974 Kubota B6000E
May 31, 2020
Homer Glen, IL, USA
Whitetiger's diagnosis seems perfect.

Hydraulic oil is not going to change anything in terms of making the pto work.

First try removing the newly installed pto shaft and go in with a flexible magnet.

If the above does not work you may get lucky by removing the top of the 3 pt assembly and/or the top of the transmission in terms of retrieving the connecting piece.

Dave
Dave, Tyvm,

This gives me a sliver of hope, Ill let you know what I come up with.

Joshua

Ryquade

Equipment
1974 Kubota B6000E
May 31, 2020
Homer Glen, IL, USA
There looks to be a splined collar or BOSS connection the fifth/PTO shaft inside the case. Thinking when you pulled the failed shaft, the boss fell off and is just laying loose.

See figure #44 in attached PDF
You were right!
I took a magnet and was able to find it and slide it on. After I reinserted the pto, it had a snug fit. I cranked it and it worked perfect! Thanks a million.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Thanks for your reply.......... It helps everyone!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You were right!
I took a magnet and was able to find it and slide it on. After I reinserted the pto, it had a snug fit. I cranked it and it worked perfect! Thanks a million.
Glad to hear it was easily fixed!!