Kubota d950 engine.
She's kind of an heirloom with sentimental
Value as I used to mow my
Mom's orchard with her.
The tank and lines are no good.
I have replaced the lines, and lift pump and
Installed a brand new filter for bleeding
And testing purposes.
I have bled it and get fuel to the injectors.
When I remove the lines I seem to get very
Little pressure or volume from the IP, though
enough to bleed it.
Upon cranking I get no smoke.
I have removed the stop selonoid for now, though it
Was working.everything SEEMS fine under the stop lever cover, Governor springs in place, Rack SEEMS to move freely.
If I remove the fuel return line at the injectors I get nothing.
Glow plugs new and working.
No smoke of any color at cranking.
I have not removed an injector or the IP yet.
with the air cleaner removed she seems to be
Sucking in plenty of air.
Any Ideas?
Could all the plunger springs be broken?
Could the rack seem free but infact be stripped of all teeth?
Is this gentle flow of fuel from the IP actually enough
and all my injectors are stuck shut from dirty old watery fuel?
Thanks in advance.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You won't get much fuel out of the IP, and no pressure to speak of either, you also won't get any return fuel untill it's running.

If the rack is moving then all is fine with it, and no you won't strip the gears on the pumps and still have it move.

Sounds like you have frozen / clogged injectors, or possibly you haven't gotten air out completely for them to pop.

I would pull them out and check them remotely off the side of the engine.

Moonbuggy

May 30, 2020
Forest Grove
Thank you for the quick and thoughtful response.
I tried to list all the details where I'm at with it.
I've got a fresh battery. and fresh cables. Positive to the
Selonoid. Ground right to the block. I've considered
the selonoid could be a little cooked, limiting my cranking speed though It seems close to what I've seen.
I have to invest in larger wrenches to pull them.
If they were opening at all I'd expect some smoke.
Looks like I need a 27 and 24 mm wrenches and or sockets. wish there was some snake oil to free them up lol, thanks again.

Dieselaholic

Equipment
ZD326s,JLG 40G,
Mar 8, 2020
Deland, Florida
If the injectors are clogged they are fairly easy to take apart and clean in a cheap ultrasonic cleaner. Pretty sure a 1/2 inch drive 7/8 deepwell will remove them. Do one at a time so you don't intermingle adjustment shims or keep them separate for sure. I just bought an aftermarket set of injectors for my D1005 for $119 on Ebay and they run fine and come with crush washers. I got my injectors from Complete Tractor. They say pressure tested before selling them and also sell them individually if one is spraying badly.

Moonbuggy

May 30, 2020
Forest Grove
I've looked into that, cheap aftermarket sets..
Or a rebuilt set. they must be metric, I don't have
any tools that big of any kind currently.

cb750k8

Equipment
B7200HST D 4X4
Aug 23, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Some further things to look into:
Are the cranking speed, battery and starter motor good? Are you using decompression to improve speed for the initial compression and firing?

That you are getting no smoke of any colour does suggest a fuel supply problem. Dont know where the fuel tank is on your machine (above or below the lift pump} A good "full bore" supply is needed at the lift pump. Suggest before you pull injectors that you remove 3 fuel lines from top of the Injection Pump. Decompress, crank the engine and watch and compare what happens at
3 fuel outlets.

Good luck and keep us advised.

Moonbuggy

May 30, 2020
Forest Grove
Tank is currently out of the equation.
Currently, fuel system is Napa inline diesel filter, 2 feet of new Napa marine Diesel 5/16 hose, new all metal
Aftermarket lift pump, another foot of hose to IP, new clamps, filter is about 18 inches above lift pump, ziptied to rad support.
...a test setup if you will.
decompression lever is not on this model.
I thought of pulling glow plugs as an option as they must
relieve compression, give me more speed for better bleeding.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
U say the rack moves freely. but were concerned about the springs being broken..
In alot of cases, if the springs were broken, the rack would still move freely.. so thats something to check..
If the rack moves, it'll be easy to pull the pump.. THATS what I would do first..
If u have fuel going INTO the inj. pump, at say 6 psi.. & nothing OUT.. pull the pump.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Congratulations for wanting to preserve your machine, and best of luck. Triumphing over problems like you've described is deeply satisfying and you learn all the way. Great advice on this forum. Definitely use metric tools - the only interchangeable size I know of is a 1-1/16" socket = 27mm.

Moonbuggy

May 30, 2020
Forest Grove
Well, I had time for some recon.
I still don't own any thing big enough to remove injectors.
I have a feeling my stepdad didn't
Install these new glow plugs all the way, maybe half way.
They are "NGK y103v"s..
Upon inspecting them and the holes, they look as if they should seat at the bottom. anybody got a d950 glow plug
All the way in pic? I shoulda taken pics, these had half the threads showing.
I removed fuel lines, loosened top valve nuts on pump, while it was bolted down. removed intake and glow plugs. Pulled pump to inspect. Nothing obvious found.
Besides glow plugs seemingly half threaded in, depending on what kinda threads I'm looking at.
Plunger rollers on bottom seem springy equally.
Rack has teeth on visible portion and slides smoothly
Under it's own weight.
Maybe I clean the outside of the pump.
Remove the upper valve nuts I can inspect the plunger
Pistons that the rack rotates from the top side?
I'm at big wrenches and test injectors out of block, and figure out how far glowplugs are supposed to thread in??
they smelled of fuel honestly. and yes I am guilty if trying to must a little diesel into the intake but not since Wednesday, lol..glowplug pic or info anybody?
Thanks in advance.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Never seen glowplugs with thread showing. Are you sure they are the right ones?

Not really related to the glow plug issue, but if you don't already have a workshop service manual, operators manual and a parts list then I suggest you get them, can be very helpful. Free pdfs may be on Kubotabooks.com.