Oil Drain Plugs

stevobags

Equipment
Z121SKH
May 31, 2020
New York
Hey all, Steve here.
I have a Z121s 48”. I am trying to change the oil but I cant get the drain plug off the little hose. Tractor went in for service last season and the tech must have been a gorilla. Plus it’s stripped. Is there another drain plug? I see what looks like a drain plug near the oil filter.
Appreciate your feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
That plug by the filter will also drain the oil.
Complain to the dealer about your drain hose and cap.

stevobags

Equipment
Z121SKH
May 31, 2020
New York
That plug by the filter will also drain the oil.
Complain to the dealer about your drain hose and cap.

Quick one. So I pull out the additional plug. Sucker seemed loose and there appeared to be pipe dope on it. Thoughts? Can you use putty on drain plugs? I’ve never seen it.

rademamj1

Nov 30, 2019
Waco,Texas
Just my comment, but its probably not putty your seeing on the drain plug, but most likely a thread sealant. It may have been used to seal the oil drain plug, after a mechanic cross-threaded the plug. Clean it off throughly and examine for any thread damage. If no thread damage, try to tighten plug by hand. Hopefully, everything is fine.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stevobags

Equipment
Z121SKH
May 31, 2020
New York
Just my comment, but its probably not putty your seeing on the drain plug, but most likely a thread sealant. It may have been used to seal the oil drain plug, after a mechanic cross-threaded the plug. Clean it off throughly and examine for any thread damage. If no thread damage, try to tighten plug by hand. Hopefully, everything is fine.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks. Never thought of sealant. The plug is damaged, no question.
Thoughts on how to correct the situation? Plug goes in but not far.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Thanks. Never thought of sealant. The plug is damaged, no question.
Thoughts on how to correct the situation? Plug goes in but not far.

The pipe plug by the oil filter that you removed is a tapered pipe thread, it will only go in part of the way. It has a thread sealant on it from the factory.
I doubt the plug is damaged as it is a steel plug screwed into an aluminum lower case.
That plug is there for when that series engine is used in a unit that requires the oil drain from that location. In that case, the hole with the hose screwed into would have a plug with white sealant on it.

Torque on the drain plug is 10 ft. lb.

stevobags

Equipment
Z121SKH
May 31, 2020
New York
The pipe plug by the oil filter that you removed is a tapered pipe thread, it will only go in part of the way. It has a thread sealant on it from the factory.
I doubt the plug is damaged as it is a steel plug screwed into an aluminum lower case.
That plug is there for when that series engine is used in a unit that requires the oil drain from that location. In that case, the hole with the hose screwed into would have a plug with white sealant on it.

Torque on the drain plug is 10 ft. lb.

Outstanding. Appreciate it. I was worried.