Kubota l3130 slowing down

bhkramer

Equipment
l3130 compact utility tractor
May 30, 2020
sidney, oh usa
My tractor recently started slowing down when in high gear going up hill to the point of actually stopping. I replace the fuel filter, air filter and added fuel additive. It is still slowing down. It will go up hill now in high 2, but not three or four. Any thoughts?

I notice in my manual that there is supposed to be a spring in the fuel cup beneath the filter, when I took the cup off there wasn't a spring. Will this cause the problem? Tks

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
From your description it sounds as though you have a manual transmission. If the engine keeps running at about the same speed but the tractor bogs down or stops it sounds to me like a clutch issue. Start by checking the adjustment.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
When. your tractor starts slowing down do the engine rpm's drop or remain steady.

If the rpm's drop then you are experiencing a loss of power which is likely fuel delivery related.

If the rpm's remain constant and yet the tractor slows, then the clutch is the issue.

First check clutch pedal adjustment looking for approx. 1" of free play.

If clutch slips and yet has the required free play then a new clutch is required.

If you are concerned the fuel cap is the problem, then just loosen it for a test. From your description of the problem happening on hills i do not think it is the cap.

Dave

Last edited:

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Are we to assume you could climb this hill without slowing down before and possibly in a higher gear?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is the engine bogging down RPM's with the tractor slowing down?

Air / fuel delivery oe other engine related issue.

Is the engine staying at a relative same RPM yeat the tractor is slowing?

Mechanical clutch issue.

bhkramer

Equipment
l3130 compact utility tractor
May 30, 2020
sidney, oh usa
Prior to the problem I could climb the hill in high 4 with no problem, actually I didn't like to run in high 4 because it was too fast. My rpms are not dropping. I blew out the supply line from the tank to the filter, the fuel is flowing well there. I found a return line from the filter back to the tank and another line the leaves the filter and goes to the engine. Is there a secondary filter?

Someone suggested that it may be a clutch issue. I am not familiar with how the clutch effects the driving. The only time I use the clutch is to start and to go from low to high range. I have a shuttle shift for reverse and forward.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The clutch is relevant as it is the connection that provides power to the transmission to drive the rear wheels. Especially when you say the engine rpm's do not drop.

If the clutch is mal-adjusted or worse, slipping under load, then the engine's power is being limited to the rear wheels regardless of the transmission your tractor has.

The clutch pedal should have approx 1" of movement before resistance is felt.

Do not keep using the tractor when it is likely slipping. It may already be too late and the clutch is worn out.

Dave

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
yea I wouldnt expect a fuel delivery issue. If it was an issue with fuel or air delivery you would hear the engine choking down, dropping rpm's or shutting off completely. If the engine is purring right on like a cat, then its clearly not fuel/air I think