Brush Chief Rotary Cutter??

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
Has anyone heard of Brush Chief Rotary Cutters. One of the local dealers here is selling them and they look really nice but are pricier than other brands including Land Pride. I was unable to find any online reviews, and wondering if this is a quality cutter.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
There is not that much on a small cutter to go wrong. I have had a Kodiak for 15 years and it has sat outside and is just now showing signs for some needed repairs. The county will not let me build a barn. The land pride is a higher dollar machine then most and I would not waste the money on a higher priced machine then the land pride unless it has some outstanding warranty or something like that.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I don't have any experience with this brand and from looking online it looks like it is a more recent brand. My suggestion is that you select a brand first based on a product that fits your needs well and secondly on the basis of support and spare parts.

You comment that this brand is more expensive than Land Pride, in my experience Land Pride is not cheap either. You really have to make sure you are comparing a similar level of product as many manufacturers have several levels or grade of product.

There are many long term brands that have been in the market a long time, Brush Hog, Woods, Land Pride, King Kuttner ....Part's are easily available for these models.

It looks like you have a L2501 Tractor, I assume you are looking for a 5' or 60 inch cutter. Make sure that you tractor has enough horse power to match the recommended minimum from the manufacturer. Based on your 19 PTO HP you are likely to use a lighter / medium cutters than many heavy duty units that recommend 25+ HP for their heavier 5' units. Many manufacturers do not specify a minimum HP, I believe what you are cutting and the speed of cutting are the factors really related to HP.

You should also look at guards or chains for the front or rear, are they standard or extra. Do you need them in the area you plan to use the cutter. Another consideration is slip clutch or shear pin. Slip clutches require maintenance, shear pins are simple and cheap. Every replacement of a shear pin is a teachable moment! I would opt for shear pin unless you are a full time user of a rotary cutter. Floating top link is a nice feature for uneven ground.

When it comes to cost you have some options to new. Shop around, consider a good quality used unit on Craigslist if you can find one. New is nice but after a couple of years use they are all used. All cutters will have a gearbox that is well overrated for your tractor (typically 45 HP gearbox), there is little to go wrong, the biggest issue will be the wear and tear you put on the unit and if you clean and service it. By wear and tear I mean mowing rocks, roots, stumps and similar (yes it does happen to the best of us, a nice low grade shear bolt will save you and your equipment).

I have several Woods rotary cutters, I purchased a BBX60 new last year and love this unit, I run it on a L3200. I have a bigger version of this Woods unit for my MX5800 for use on more open ground. I like the fact that I can get any parts from many sources.

The right cutter will last you a very long time with a little care. Good luck on your selection.

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
I don't have any experience with this brand and from looking online it looks like it is a more recent brand. My suggestion is that you select a brand first based on a product that fits your needs well and secondly on the basis of support and spare parts.

You comment that this brand is more expensive than Land Pride, in my experience Land Pride is not cheap either. You really have to make sure you are comparing a similar level of product as many manufacturers have
several levels or grade of product.

There are many long term brands that have been in the market a long time, Brush Hog, Woods, Land Pride, King Kuttner ....Part's are easily available for these models.

It looks like you have a L2501 Tractor, I assume you are looking for a 5' or 60 inch cutter. Make sure that you tractor has enough horse power to match the recommended minimum from the manufacturer. Based on your 19 PTO HP you are likely to use a lighter / medium cutters than many heavy duty units that recommend 25+ HP for their heavier 5' units. Many manufacturers do not specify a minimum HP, I believe what you are cutting and the speed of cutting are the factors really related to HP.

You should also look at guards or chains for the front or rear, are they standard or extra. Do you need them in the area you plan to use the cutter. Another consideration is slip clutch or shear pin. Slip clutches require maintenance, shear pins are simple and cheap. Every replacement of a shear pin is a teachable moment! I would opt for shear pin unless you are a full time user of a rotary cutter. Floating top link is a nice feature for uneven ground.

When it comes to cost you have some options to new. Shop around, consider a good quality used unit on Craigslist if you can find one. New is nice but after a couple of years use they are all used. All cutters will have a gearbox that is well overrated for your tractor (typically 45 HP gearbox), there is little to go wrong, the biggest issue will be the wear and tear you put on the unit and if you clean and service it. By wear and tear I mean mowing rocks, roots, stumps and similar (yes it does happen to the best of us, a nice low grade shear bolt will save you and your equipment).

I have several Woods rotary cutters, I purchased a BBX60 new last year and love this unit, I run it on a L3200. I have a bigger version of this Woods unit for my MX5800 for use on more open ground. I like the fact that I can get any parts from many sources.

The right cutter will last you a very long time with a little care. Good luck on your selection.
Thanks for the info. This cutter recommends 25hp but doesn't specify if its PTO or tractor HP. I looked at this in person and it looks solid. Here's some specs. Do you think this would suit my L2501 well? And yes I am looking at the 5' model

Attachments

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Found one dealer who had some info on the size cutter think would be looking at. Glenwood Farm Equipment, in Iowa. They show a price of $1,299 for a 5 foot but they show that to be a 2017 unit so prices may be 3 years old. Saw nothing special about it. Shear pin pto shaft,55 hp gearbox, no chains, decent looking unit but nothing special. They did not show any spec on what size material it could cut. To me a lighter duty model. but that is without seeing it and having full details.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Before you buy the unit, do some homework on spare parts as eventually anything will need repair.

In the last day or two there was an owner on the forum who bought a Tander rotary cutter.

He began to have issues with the outer pto shaft protector and was looking for advice.

When I looked at the parts breakdown for this brand new cutter, the pto shaft was only available as one complete unit. No outer cover parts, no U joints, no yokes.....

Ownership can get frustrating and expensive with products which are not supported completely for the decades they will last.

Buy a brand with a long history in your country. In the long run it will be your best value.

Dave

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
HP Recommendations for rotary cutters are normally PTO HP.

What are you planning to cut with your rotary cutter? If you are planning to cut light brush you will be fine, as you move to cut heavier material your HP limit will show by the cutter possibly bogging down, you will have to cut at a lower travel speed, this is true for all tractors irrespective of HP.

Due to the physical width of the L2501 you need a 5' cutter to cut outside of your tracks, this is a good decision. Just don't buy a super heavy duty unit that comes with a 70 HP gear box, the lighter / medium duty units will come with a 40 / 45 HP gear box. Your L2501 will drive these units well when run at 540 PTO RPM, just the same as a 35 HP tractor, the only difference is that your cutter will start to bog down earlier and just result in you cutting slower. If your use is average brush, no small trees of 1" or bigger you should be fine.

One great option would be to borrow a unit if you could to get a feel, alternatively before buying a new expensive unit, you should be able to spend $500 - $600 on craigslist for a used unit. Try the used unit for a year and then decide if you want a nice new one, you will sell your used unit for the same price.

Good luck.

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
HP Recommendations for rotary cutters are normally PTO HP.

What are you planning to cut with your rotary cutter? If you are planning to cut light brush you will be fine, as you move to cut heavier material your HP limit will show by the cutter possibly bogging down, you will have to cut at a lower travel speed, this is true for all tractors irrespective of HP.

Due to the physical width of the L2501 you need a 5' cutter to cut outside of your tracks, this is a good decision. Just don't buy a super heavy duty unit that comes with a 70 HP gear box, the lighter / medium duty units will come with a 40 / 45 HP gear box. Your L2501 will drive these units well when run at 540 PTO RPM, just the same as a 35 HP tractor, the only difference is that your cutter will start to bog down earlier and just result in you cutting slower. If your use is average brush, no small trees of 1" or bigger you should be fine.

One great option would be to borrow a unit if you could to get a feel, alternatively before buying a new expensive unit, you should be able to spend $500 - $600 on craigslist for a used unit. Try the used unit for a year and then decide if you want a nice new one, you will sell your used unit for the same price.

Good luck.
That would be a great idea and I have been searching for weeks on CL and the only used unit to come up was 72" land pride. I haven't been able to find ANY used box blades, rear blades, or RCs besides that 72" LP. I guess everyone where I'm at ( albuquerque, nm) likes to hold onto their equipment.

I did just purchase, and return 3 days later a County Line - Tarter 60" rotary cutter. The PTO shaft safety sleeve fell apart immediately and the plastic clips broke. It was also making strange noises. It sounded like the blades or stump jumper were hitting the top of the deck. Iys unfortunate because I got a good deal. 1000 new OTD

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Pull up this web site https://www.paladinattachments.com/sites/default/files/prod_lit/SS - KO - rotary cutters.pdfand

compare it to the picture you posted. It is the same to me. Then compare the prices. There are several people that by cutters and add their decals and resale them. I am drawing a blank on the name maybe Howard but they sold the same cutter to have them resold under many different names.

Do not buy an expensive mower. It is the nature of these machines to get torn up. You can go to any dealer and buy a rotary cutter. The color does not matter.

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
Pull up this web site https://www.paladinattachments.com/sites/default/files/prod_lit/SS - KO - rotary cutters.pdfand

compare it to the picture you posted. It is the same to me. Then compare the prices. There are several people that by cutters and add their decals and resale them. I am drawing a blank on the name maybe Howard but they sold the same cutter to have them resold under many different names.

Do not buy an expensive mower. It is the nature of these machines to get torn up. You can go to any dealer and buy a rotary cutter. The color does not matter.
100% agree that color doesn't matter.....unless its green. I saw a Agri X locally whick is right at 1000 I would probably buy this but i cant find if its quick hitch compatible, whick is a must for me.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Patience is a virtue.

I think Craigslist has been quiet with all of this Covid 19 and similar issues. Just keep looking and act fast when you see what you like, good used equipment sells fast in my area. I think you will see a lot more activity in the next 60 days. You can really save some money verses new and if you don't like it you can resell most things for a similar price that you paid.

Good luck.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
If you are going to buy used, which can be smart decision, take tools to check the oil in the gearbox. Watch for no oil and water in them. Both are signs of seal issues. However either can be a sign of damaged gearbox. Look at the blades and check to see if their mount to the gear box wobbles showing heavy wear or just loose. Also rust damage on the top.

BX25D Rookie

Equipment
2011 BX25D, Bro-Tek Skid Plates, Bxpanded Tooth Bar & Toolbox, LED Headlights
Mar 21, 2019
Upstate, NY USA
When I bought my four foot brush cutter for my BX 25 I looked everywhere.
I found my local Mahindra dealer had the best deal on a nice heavy duty unit.

I looked at the Tartar units from Tractor Supply and they are light duty compared to Land Pride and other heavier duty models. My Mahindra Dealer is close when/if I need parts.
The paperwork inside the plastic tube confirmed it was a Kodiak unit and also confirmed what the Mahindra Dealer stated, they were made by Kodiak/Paladin.

My local dealer had dozens of them in stock and was willing to deal.
I even selected a 2018 model, the 2019 models had some steel bracing deleted on the top of the deck.

See earlier posts in this thread about paladin attachments and re-branding.
It's a heavy duty unit with plenty of steel in the right places.
When buying attachments, I'm in the Buy Once, Cry Once camp.