Advice on loading backhoe attachment onto trailer

millerized

Equipment
BX22
Sep 19, 2011
Inwood, WV
Backhoe attachment is in PA, 150mi away, 300mi round trip.
Not wanting to load the tractor to tow it up just to load the attachment, and drag it all back.
I would also like to load the 4' bushhog and land scraper box as well, but not room for anything else on the trailer if I have to take the tractor up.
So, dilemma is how to get the backhoe attachment on the trailer using physical muscle and a 2k# winch.
Even possible?
Simple solution?
Anyone suggest anything?
(BX22, reading a bit over 600lbs for the attachment)
I've moved the bushhog by myself, and the scraper box as well. Neither were super difficult, but doable with some effort. 600lbs is a bit more than either though.
Just not wanting to make 3 trips to pick up a few attachments.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Assuming you have a tilt deck trailer, if the items are strapped to a pallet you could drag it on to your trailer. If you dont care about the attachments or trailer you could drag it on without a pallet. If you have enough strong bodies you could manually lift and carry the attachments onto the trailer.

Id either ask the seller to load onto your deck or provide my own machine to lift if that wasnt possible.

millerized

Equipment
BX22
Sep 19, 2011
Inwood, WV
Assuming you have a tilt deck trailer, if the items are strapped to a pallet you could drag it on to your trailer. If you dont care about the attachments or trailer you could drag it on without a pallet. If you have enough strong bodies you could manually lift and carry the attachments onto the trailer.

Id either ask the seller to load onto your deck or provide my own machine to lift if that wasnt possible.
All my own equipment, just stored in a different location. I brought the tractor down so I could adjust the valves and take care of the PM work. Didn't think I'd have a need for every stinking piece of equipment I own. LOL...shoulda known better.

The trailer has a fold down ramp, and a wood 2x6 floor. I carry sheets of plywood just to help slide things over the mesh gate. Once over the gate, things slide relatively well.
Pretty much know it'll be brute force, and it's only me. At a minimum, I'll be able to load the box and the hog, and have to take the tractor up on the next trip to pick up the hoe.
I've used ratchet straps to move bigger items before, guess I'll just need a bigger lever to get it off the ground far enough to get the plywood under it. Anyone need a planet moved? I hear a lever will assist greatly.

millerized

Equipment
BX22
Sep 19, 2011
Inwood, WV
How big is the trailer? Can you take an engine hoist along?
5x10', 4+' ramp. The hoist might get it off the ground far enough to get plywood under it. Thanks...that is a great idea, simply because I have on of those as well. ;-) Between that and the winch, this might be simple.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
5x10', 4+' ramp. The hoist might get it off the ground far enough to get plywood under it. Thanks...that is a great idea, simply because I have on of those as well. ;-) Between that and the winch, this might be simple.
My engine hoist has been my "FEL w/ forks" for the past 5 years. I've unloaded tillers from pickup trucks and all sorts of big items.

One thing that also works well is lifting with the hoist and then instead of moving the hoist to get the object on the trailer/truck - move the trailer or truck under the object.

Good luck and be safe

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
How big is the trailer? Can you take an engine hoist along?
You beat me to this answer!! :D I've loaded lots of items on the back of my tandem axle trailer with a good engine hoist/cherry picker. then you could scoot the items forward with your winch or a cable puller. To make it really easy the OP could hire someone with a small boom truck/forklift to load for him also.

millerized

Equipment
BX22
Sep 19, 2011
Inwood, WV
My engine hoist has been my "FEL w/ forks" for the past 5 years. I've unloaded tillers from pickup trucks and all sorts of big items.

One thing that also works well is lifting with the hoist and then instead of moving the hoist to get the object on the trailer/truck - move the trailer or truck under the object.

Good luck and be safe
LOL..."if it works it's not stupid". I think one of my DI's said that in basic training as I went against the grain to accomplish goals few others could. I also did lots of push ups because I didn't do what I was told :p
I'm not sure I'll get enough height out of it to load it directly, but we'll see. One thing I love about this trailer is all sides fold down to allow easier access from any approach. This hoist just might be the ticket.

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
I've been known to ratchet strap pretty heavy things to a dolly (hand cart) then ratchet strap that up onto a trailer. Not always the safest thing, especially by yourself, but it's served me well in the past. My dolly has 4 wheels, handle changes it to a cart, so not too difficult to get things moving.

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Find a local towing company that has a boom-lift type truck. Cost would be minimal compared to time saved. Pay driver in cash. Easily worth $200.

Could possibly turn into insurance company if legit receipt were produced....if one were so inclined. Just saying!

Or hire near by farmer with tractor capable of loading. A case of long necks & a C-note might do it.

Last edited:

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
like papaj said, maybe 1 or 2 moving dollies(strap it to the dollies), they're cheap and some have 1000lb capacity.