Loader & 3 point lift capacity - 1995 B7100 HST

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
I've searched and googled and can't really find a definitive answer, so I'm going to the experts. I have 1995 B7100 HST with 700 hours. I put about 50 hours on it last summer with the brush hog maintaining my hunting lease and putting in food plots. Last December I bought a (1940's) McCormick Deering 13-7 steel wheeled seeder/planter. It was loaded on my trailer with a larger loader.

This weekend, I decided it was time to offload the planter. I knew I didn't have the height and was pretty sure my little Kubota couldn't lift the entire piece, so I set the wheel at the front of the trailer on a moving dolly and then went to the rear with gate removed and attempted to lift the other wheel with the bucket (and clamp on pallet forks). Then slowly drag it to the end of the trailer. Anyway, long story short, the bucket wouldn't lift the end of the planter with either lift or curl. Went right to bypass.

After I failed to get it off the trailer, I put everything away, got cleaned up and thought, why not do the same, but put the gate/ramp back on and chain the other wheel so its stationary and then chain the bottom of the wheel to my 3 point "A" frame, lift and drag it off the trailer? I did that the next day and it lifted it effortlessly and worked out great.

So, I see conflicting info on the lift capacity of the loader & 3 point. Loader is around 500# with 750# breakout and the 3 point is listed anywhere from 400# to 1000#? My long question is, am I having issues with my loader or was the planter just too much weight? Before you ask, I can't find any specs on the weight of the planter, but it is all steel and cast iron, and about 9' long. I imagine it's over 1000#, but again, I was only lifting one end. And I've had no issues with the loader or 3 point and the fluid level is right on. I did just buy UDT and have new screens and filter for a maintenance. Thanks!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I was looking at the picture of the planter you are talking about and yes it is heavy.

The problem you had was not accounting for the distance the clamp on forks are from the pivot point of the front end loader. The farther from the pivot point on the fel the less the loader can pick up. The load on the 3 point hitch was much nearer the point where they measure the ability to lift.

To illustrate lay a broom on the floor. Grab the handle near the brush and pick it up one handed. Now lay the broom down and move to the end opposite of the brush and pick it up one handed.

When the load is near the power it is much easier to pick the load up. It is just physics.