Harbor Freight jack stand safety recall

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
Buy once, cry once.

Buy junk from HF, no one will hear you cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg8352

Equipment
L245dt
Feb 6, 2020
Covington Ohio
You know something bad had to have happened. My grandparents bought a farm from the estate of a man who died under a jacked up tractor.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Buy once, cry once.

Buy junk from HF, no one will hear you cry.

Never had an issue with mine. Jackstands are very basic tools. HF or not.

Sounds like the typical sour grapes on your part.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I received the notice yesterday. I had purchased a set about a year ago to be used only for supporting the rear of my trailer when loading my tractor. They reside in my trailer tongue toolbox and are only used for that purpose. I'm not going to worry about it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just checked mine...numbers don’t match.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
wgator -

I was remiss in thanking you for the heads up.

I’m sure a lot of OTT guys and gals have these.

My son was under his car with them last summer.... and I use them often.

While mine aren’t the P/N #’s, makes me feel better knowing someone like you wants to have our back....

Thanks again.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Thread on TBYNet about them. Interestingly, I also have a pair from Autozone that are identical in every way to the HF stands. I bet made by the same Chinese company. Scary thought.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I once witnessed a 46,000 lb aircraft tug at LAX supported at one end by two 6-ton HF jack stands. The feet were pressed at least two inches into the asphalt. I asked the mechanic who was changing the immense tires and he said they "never get under the tugs." Good safety tip. He also said they had never had a failure.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I once witnessed a 46,000 lb aircraft tug at LAX supported at one end by two 6-ton HF jack stands. The feet were pressed at least two inches into the asphalt. I asked the mechanic who was changing the immense tires and he said they "never get under the tugs." Good safety tip. He also said they had never had a failure.
Ray, don't be a stranger.......:)

I've abused mine to no end (jackstands) as well. I had to build a set of inclined ramps out of .40 retention 2" planks to back my M9 up so I can change the PTO shafts out without loosing any fluid.

Had a set of HF ramps and my M9 flattened them first time I backed up them. Oh well.

I would imagine the jackstands are label rated at 25% of what the breaking limit is, barring the wonky casting.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
HF tools can be good or bad. I have a $14 grinder that has lasted just as long as the $75 Makita.

I bought a pair of 13,000 pound ramps to lift the front of my GMC dually pickup for oil changes, 4,500 pounds. A safety factor of 3. I should have been good and safe. NOT! The first and the second pair broke on their first try. 4x4 low range so I could ease up on the ramp.

I went old school 2-2x12s with 4x4s screwed between them. Heavy as all get out but I do not worry about being under the truck.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
HF tools can be good or bad. I have a $14 grinder that has lasted just as long as the $75 Makita.

I bought a pair of 13,000 pound ramps to lift the front of my GMC dually pickup for oil changes, 4,500 pounds. A safety factor of 3. I should have been good and safe. NOT! The first and the second pair broke on their first try. 4x4 low range so I could ease up on the ramp.

I went old school 2-2x12s with 4x4s screwed between them. Heavy as all get out but I do not worry about being under the truck.
Must be the same ramps I bought and my M9 squashed. Really wimpy. Thought about returning them but wondered if they would give me a refund for flat ramps... I'm pretty sure I took them over the design limits.

I have no luck with the cheap corded grinders, I manage to find the smoke pretty quick and they really stink. Must be the rice paper insulation.

On the other hand, I bought a Bauer 20 volt 4.5" angle grinder and it's been perfect but you need to run the high amp hour battery for it to run a descent amount of time.

I checked all 6 of my HF jackstands and the cast in teeth in the uprights fully engage the pawl handle. Cannot tell the serial numbers anymore, all worn away from use.

My big issue with the wood ones I made was they kept slipping out from under the wheels on my smooth concrete apron, so I installed 4 snowmobile ice studs in the bottom. They bite now.

Last edited:

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
The recalled stands have a design flaw in the teeth of the portion that raises and lowers. The teeth are not cut deep enough on the recalled jacks therefor the latch may not fully engage causing the jack to drop under load or if there is a weight shift such as lowering a load supported by a hydraulic jack onto a jack stand where the potential lateral load shift occurs as the jacks wheels roll as it unloads. I wouldn’t use them for anything. The teeth appear to be about 18 of an inch deep. Nowhere near deep enough for 3 or 6 tons.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The recalled stands have a design flaw in the teeth of the portion that raises and lowers. The teeth are not cut deep enough on the recalled jacks therefor the latch may not fully engage causing the jack to drop under load or if there is a weight shift such as lowering a load supported by a hydraulic jack onto a jack stand where the potential lateral load shift occurs as the jacks wheels roll as it unloads. I wouldn’t use them for anything. The teeth appear to be about 18 of an inch deep. Nowhere near deep enough for 3 or 6 tons.
First off, jack stands don't have wheels and secondly, the ram and teeth are cast not machined at all.

Finally, considering the retail markup on them, I bet HF pays about 2 bucks each including shipping from China.

I own 4 sets of them in the 6 ton flavor. Never had an issue.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
First off, jack stands don't have wheels and secondly, the ram and teeth are cast not machined at all.

Finally, considering the retail markup on them, I bet HF pays about 2 bucks each including shipping from China.

I own 4 sets of them in the 6 ton flavor. Never had an issue.
First, they weren't talking about the jack stands having wheels. They were talking about the jack being used to lift the vehicle onto the stands having wheels. So the potential lateral movement from that jack lowering then loading the compromised Jack Stands.

Second, they never said anything about machining. The teeth not cut deep enough isn't referring to the manufacturing process but instead visualization of the final result basically saying the teeth are too shallow.

Lastly, it isn't the times that something works as designed without issues that cause a recall. It is the times that something doesn't work as designed and maims or kills people that causes a recall.

You can continue to use your stuff as you see fit you're an adult but please don't try and dissuade people from getting the recall just because your stuff has all worked so far. It could get someone who was on the fence about it hurt or killed.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
"The recalled stands have a design flaw in the teeth of the portion that raises and lowers. The teeth are not cut deep enough on the recalled jacks therefor the latch may not fully engage causing the jack to drop under load or if there is a weight shift such as lowering a load supported by a hydraulic jack onto a jack stand where the potential lateral load shift occurs as the jacks wheels roll as it unloads. I wouldn***8217;t use them for anything. The teeth appear to be about 18 of an inch deep. Nowhere near deep enough for 3 or 6 tons.

Beg your pardon I bolded both statements, first is the teeth in the ram are cast not machined and secondly, no wheels involved. You'd better read the post then comment...:rolleyes:

Comment number 13. Go read it...

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Sidecar,
I did. Here I rebolded the second part to include the full context. They are talking about a rolling floor jack and not a bottle jack. So you can beg all you want.
If there is a weight shift such as lowering a load supported by a hydraulic jack onto a jack stand where the potential lateral load shift occurs as the jacks wheels roll as it unloads.

Notice how they used "jacks" (should have been jack's but this isn't about grammar this is about comprehension) and not "jack stands".

Again, the First part was for visualization. They were using cut as a descriptor verb of the teeth size and depth not as a description of how the part was built. They in no part mentioned the actual manufacturing process and taking what they said literally is a misinterpretation.

If you want to get technical on it they do have to cut the casting mold and/or machine the original part which the mold is then formed around. Instead of reading to reply try reading to understand a lot of these mistakes would have sorted themselves out.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Sidecar,
I did. Here I rebolded the second part to include the full context. They are talking about a rolling floor jack and not a bottle jack. So you can beg all you want.
If there is a weight shift such as lowering a load supported by a hydraulic jack onto a jack stand where the potential lateral load shift occurs as the jacks wheels roll as it unloads.

Notice how they used "jacks" (should have been jack's but this isn't about grammar this is about comprehension) and not "jack stands".

Again, the First part was for visualization. They were using cut as a descriptor verb of the teeth size and depth not as a description of how the part was built. They in no part mentioned the actual manufacturing process and taking what they said literally is a misinterpretation.

If you want to get technical on it they do have to cut the casting mold and/or machine the original part which the mold is then formed around. Instead of reading to reply try reading to understand a lot of these mistakes would have sorted themselves out.
uh oh, you may piss him off and he doesnt take that very well.:D

KubCorri

Equipment
L3302
Nov 4, 2023
AG-CA
I was lowering one side of a 3000 lb tractor with a FLOOR JACK. The other side was supported with the HF 61196 3-ton jack stand. I can imagine the wheels on the FLOOR JACK did roll a bit. Whatever, the HF 61196 collapsed or tipped over. The axle housing squashed the HF 61196 - I was out of the way. Both jack stands were put away as a reminder.

I am SO GLAD wgator posted his/her message. After having exchaned a faulty bench grinder, I will never buy anything that moves or that could be dangerous from HF. Come to think, why should any American buy anything chinese? Even if the item is of superior quality, we just don't need to send any more dollars to the evil empire.