B2400 Hydraulic leak from transmission rubber plug

jjgag60

Apr 17, 2019
washington, state
So i started to noticed a hydraulic oil leak from under my 1998 B2400 HST tractor. At first i thought it was the from the seal around the output shaft of the transmission. It gets confusing because some people call the end of the transmission where the shaft comes out at the charge pump the front of the transmission. I think it should be the rear because it is on the end towards the rear wheels. The dealer said if that seal is bad you have to split the tractor for big bucks. When I inspected it closer I found it was not the shaft seal, but it is leaking from a rubber plug just above the shaft and it reminds me of a freeze plug you would see in an engine block but made out of rubber. I guess the Generation 2 tractors went to a metal plug. I ordered a new plug 6A100-12180 and it will be here soon. My question is are there any tricks to getting that old plug out and installing a new one. Has anyone actually done this repair? It is pretty confined space to work in. Does anyone recommend putting any lock tite on the outside of the new plug on installation? Someone mentioned draining the oil out and raising the front of the tractor because oil will continue to spill out around the plug area. Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's not the HST, that's the Clutch housing. simple but hard to get to, drain fluid out of that case and out of the rear diff.
Save it to put it back in.

Pop the seal out and replace with the new one.
There is a loctite for metal seals, use it.

jjgag60

Apr 17, 2019
washington, state
So after talking to four different dealers and Wolfman. I pulled the trigger and changed out the rubber plug myself. One dealer wanted to split the tractor another one was nice enough to provide the answer, " there is a reason why I spend a lot of money on snapon tools.
I first lifted the front of the tractor 6 inches off the ground and then loosen the drain plug below the shaft and drained about a pint of fluid out of it. I then washed down the area around the rubber plug with brake cleaner and then using a small pry bar i was able to gently pry the plug out. I then used some gray RTV around the new plug and pryed it back into place. Took me all about 10 minutes after i got enough nerve to pry the old plug out and replace the new plug. The pry device was a Craftsman 4283 -WF. Sorry I dont know how to attach photos. Thanks Wolfman for your help and confidence .

littleduck

Equipment
Kubota B2400
Aug 3, 2019
Brigg, Lincolnshire, UK
JJgag60 - have you any photos of the repair or location? I have just found a leak on my B2400 HST and am new to this tractor game. The oil seems to drip from the rear of the engine area but hits a couple of pipes on way down so might be actually come from elsewhere!

tgrosinger

Equipment
B1700 HST 4x4
Sep 11, 2019
Washington
I have a B1700 and I am wondering if my transmission leak is the same as yours.

Any tips on how I can find out what replacement plug I need to order? Thank you!

Here are a couple of photos:

Last edited:

Lambda_x_Nu

Equipment
Kubota B1700
Apr 19, 2022
Bloomington, IN
I have a B1700 and I am wondering if my transmission leak is the same as yours.

Any tips on how I can find out what replacement plug I need to order? Thank you!

Here are a couple of photos:

Did you ever find out what to order? I am having the same issue, but cannot figure out what to order.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID