Is my tractor a B7100 or B7001?

Jkort77

Jun 1, 2016
Rio, WI 53960
I bought a tractor from a friend of mine. It says on the hood that it is a B7100, but the serial number on the tractor starts with B7001. The folks at Kumar Bros. said that is is the foreign model gray tractor and they are just a tad bit different. So before I know all of this, I ordered a rebuild kit and a complete new head. Everything seemed to spec. out fine with the exception of the head being slightly taller. The problem I have now is that the glow plugs do not reach down far enough to seat in the hole and I get blow by when trying to start the tractor. Will this head work with the correct glow plugs, or did i get screwed on the head and have to order the correct one?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Can you post some photos of the tractor?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I bought a tractor from a friend of mine. It says on the hood that it is a B7100, but the serial number on the tractor starts with B7001. The folks at Kumar Bros. said that is is the foreign model gray tractor and they are just a tad bit different. So before I know all of this, I ordered a rebuild kit and a complete new head. Everything seemed to spec. out fine with the exception of the head being slightly taller. The problem I have now is that the glow plugs do not reach down far enough to seat in the hole and I get blow by when trying to start the tractor. Will this head work with the correct glow plugs, or did i get screwed on the head and have to order the correct one?
Many, if not all early B7100's were labeled B7001 in the starting of the serial number. It is not a foreign model but rather a model that was sent to the US and to other parts at the same time.

I'm with Hodge - send a couple of pictures up close. One of the serial number if possible. I bet your tractor has a 4 bolt lug pattern on the front? You did not mention if it was geared or HST? Wolfman may be able to tell you more about the head, I bet over time there were some slight modifications depending on the serial number and history of the run of the model.

Why did you order a new head? Did you have low compression?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's a B7100...
and it wouldn't matter if it was a b7100 or B7001 still be the same D750 engine.

Now the heads should not have been a different size than original, this is the problem with Kumar Bros and their after market parts, Inconsistent parts quality.

To fix the problem with the glow plugs you really should pull the head, and tap the holes a little deeper.
But you can cheat and do it installed, you will just need to pump air into the injector hole (after you remove the injector and glow plug) then you will need to turn the crank and put the valves in the closed position, so all the air is coming out of the glow plug hole, then when you run the tap in it will blow the chips out of the head and not damage the piston.
Make sure you get the right size tap for it.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Of course if you ordered a replacement head for your serial no. tractor and they supplied something slightly different, then Kumar should come good with the correct glow plugs to suit, I would certainly ask them if the first part is the case.

Jkort77

Jun 1, 2016
Rio, WI 53960
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I tried to send the head back to Kumar. But it's been too long. My tractor is a 4 bolt front end and geared. I ordered glow plugs tonight for the head that I ordered. I measured the injector holes and I think I am fine there. Just need to get them glow plugs to seat. Not sure how to load pics on here yet. Serial number is: B7001-50691. Thanks in advance.