Turf tires for an l1501/ l185

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I got three really good suggestions for doing the center hole. NIWolfman suggested rigging up something to hold a torch or plasma cutter and spin the rim.

I ended up using a combination of the three suggestions. I dug around the shop at work and found a pipe flange that had the correct inside diameter I needed.

Used tooljunkie's suggestion of bolting it to the rim. In this case I used some threaded rod and fender washers. Checked my measurements about 30 times to make sure it was centered.

Then used wolfmans suggestion and used the flange as a guide and torched around the inside. It cut my grinding down to a 1/8" :D

When the rims finish cooling I'm gonna mark the edges of the hole again and use d2cat's suggestion of a carbide burr bit to finish it. But in this case run the burr bit in a Dremel so I can finish it at the house and check fit on the tractor as I go :D well the dremel won't work. But there's always plan "B" which is using the carbide bit in a corded drill :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
These are a lot of work!!! :D three hours on one rim. Got it to fit the hub and two of the holes have been extended.

Four more holes to go and I'll have one rim fabbed up :D

I would kill for a plasma cutter right now!!!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Daren, if you're going to leave the ugly side out you have to at least paint it when you're done!

And a few hours isn't bad for all you saved on used Kubota wheels, plus shipping.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I don't have much of a choice but to leave the ugly side out. :eek: They won't fit the other way :rolleyes: Already got the paint and primer :D was left over from when I painted the box scraper. Gonna have to do a little welding on it to fill some grooves and grind them flat to give a good solid, flat surface where it meets the hub :D This way I avoid the dreaded wabbles. That I will do at the shop. We have a good miller 252, so I will be able to dial it in where I need it. And less time and clean up between passes :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Broke my bit saturday :eek: just got a chance to get by napa to get a couple more carbide bits. Got the first rim finished as far as fit goes. Got two holes on the second rim done. Made sure the rim was good and centered. Now working on the center hole which is slow going. Got it real close then started getting tired and impatient :rolleyes: so I stopped for tonight and will get back at it tomorrow night. My goal it to have both rims fitted by thursday. And then fill in the grooves on the side that mates to the hub on friday. Then hopefully have the tires on the tractor for a test with the mower saturday :D We've had so much rain that the lawn turned into hay field again :rolleyes:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Daren,

been following the work ! - looking good! - slow and steady, I too rush too fast sometimes to get the second one done. Cant wait to see the finished product!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Daren, I had to modify some wheels for a trailer many moons ago. I needed to make the center hole smaller so it would ride on the shoulder and no on the studs.

I bought a 3' length of 1/4" key stock. I found a PVC pipe near the dia. I was needing. Wrapped the the key stock around the PVC to get close to the working diameter. Then set the key stock in the hole and tacked with wire welder. Proceeded around until I cut off the length to fit it all tight. Then welded the entire piece to the wheel.

You might try something like that if you need additional iron on the inside between the bolt holes and the center hole.

Worked excellent. Still using the trailer.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren, I had to modify some wheels for a trailer many moons ago. I needed to make the center hole smaller so it would ride on the shoulder and no on the studs.

I bought a 3' length of 1/4" key stock. I found a PVC pipe near the dia. I was needing. Wrapped the the key stock around the PVC to get close to the working diameter. Then set the key stock in the hole and tacked with wire welder. Proceeded around until I cut off the length to fit it all tight. Then welded the entire piece to the wheel.

You might try something like that if you need additional iron on the inside between the bolt holes and the center hole.

Worked excellent. Still using the trailer.
The center of the rim came out good :D if you look at the picture of the good side of the rim you'll see where the lug nut holes are, that it sticks out from the face of the rim some. That's the side that will be facing the hub. There's maybe 1/16 of material actually making contact to the hub where it bolt's to it. I need to fill in the good side some around the holes for a better mating surface

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got the second rim fitted for the hub tonight :D

Now I just need to fill in the grooves on the good Side of the rim to give it a flat surface to mount to the hub

If everything goes right and I don't have to pull another double shift I should be able to get the tires mounted Saturday :D

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That was one of my concerns too. So rather then just throwing a set of tires on it and bolting it up, i'm gonna do some filling tomorrow with the wire feed :D give it a flat surface front and back.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On the outside of the rim weld on some washers, that will restructure it perfectly!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
On the outside of the rim weld on some washers, that will restructure it perfectly!

Great idea :D I'm gonna have to test fit the rims again when I get home tonight. Got the grooves filled. Slipped over in a couple of the holes a touch. Same with the center of it :rolleyes: did give it quite a bit more meat though :D

Now I have quite a bit of grinding to do!!!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I do believe it's time for an adult beverage :D

The tires are mounted onto the tractor :) now to scotchbrite the rims, wipe of the crud and paint them baby's :D after I have a beer or two :rolleyes:

Picked up a couple of Chevy work truck rims for $180.

Got a pair of used falken wildpeak mud tires. 37" tall for $100

Plus a couple cans of paint and primer.

10 hours of labor, plus 1 1/2 pounds of wire.

Total cost was $302 :D

A used set of turf rims were $500, plus around $280 per tire. Saved $700 !!!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I still got the rice paddy tires :D:D:D take me ten minutes to swap them over :D:D

Now I got a swamp out back to hay :rolleyes:

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
"Saved $700 !!!" It's not about the money saved it's about the character building process of making something that didn't exist before you started!

Now you'll be sniping the tires.:D Nice work, Daren.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Rims are all prettied up :D gave the tires a light coating of oil so I can wipe off the over spray in the morning :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
What really bites is i had a set of 37" tires a couple years ago. Sold em cheap. Now im looking for some that will work. 11r22.5 semi tires are same height.working on a plan for my buddy's cnc plasma table and wheel centres should be a breeze.