Tire chains. Type and source?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I love my studded tires! I would like to do the rears but the tread is too short, and they are new. They have double the bars of a normal R-1 Ag tire, so I haven't really had a problem with traction, it just gets a little loose on the tight turns. :D
My driveway has a section that's a 10 % slope, but I've not had any problems getting up it.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
My drive is on a 12-15% grade. We have 18" snow drifts blown across it. Last night while pulling the rear blade to clear it the wheels were digging a lot of snow to get to the ice and gravel, and I had another few #14x5/8 hex head screws pull out of the front tires. The rears are hanging in there fine.
As I said, the rubber in the front might be a bit softer. I was definitely pulling hard to break up the snow bank, with all 4 tires digging.
So it will be grip studs for me as soon as they get here.
Like Wolfman, I do love the studs. Getting stuck is not an issue!

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
My drive is on a 12-15% grade. We have 18" snow drifts blown across it. Last night while pulling the rear blade to clear it the wheels were digging a lot of snow to get to the ice and gravel, and I had another few #14x5/8 hex head screws pull out of the front tires. The rears are hanging in there fine.
As I said, the rubber in the front might be a bit softer. I was definitely pulling hard to break up the snow bank, with all 4 tires digging.
So it will be grip studs for me as soon as they get here.
Like Wolfman, I do love the studs. Getting stuck is not an issue!
I had a new set of 12.4x24 Titans that after 6 mths looked like they had been attacked by a swarm of angry beavers. Chunks missing everywhere from the lugs. Titan warrantied and replaced them - no problem with the new ones.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I put the Grip Studs #1800 on the front of my L3200DT. The stud part sticks out a little over 1/4". I pulled my back blade through a snow drift, and had traction enough to stall the tractor in 4th gear, at about 1700 rpm! I've never managed that before in the snow.
I'd probably go with the slightly shorter - a bit over 3/16" - #1900T if I had it to do over.
So I have grip studs on the front, and #14x5/8" hex head slotted sheet metal screws on the rear, and the traction is awesome, and nothing is pulling out of the rubber. Good deal!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Glad to hear it's working out so well for you! I've been doing great with my setup too, and It beats the snot out of chains on Ice even cleated chains.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The real test will be 5 years down the road. I plan on pulling the studs and screws in the spring, putting them back in late fall. Pattern chains cost more up front, but they are good for years and years. If the studs/screws wreck the tires, maybe they aren't such a good deal. I'll have to wait and see.
For now, the traction is awesome!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Today the snow melted off the tires, and I saw that three sheet metal screws had pulled out from the rear tires. So I ordered another 200 #1900T Grip Studs for the rear. We are supposed to be in for more snow late next week. I have my fingers crossed the studs beat the snow...