Tires and Rims, WTF???

KauaiJohn

Equipment
B3030HST
Apr 25, 2011
Kalaheo HI
Hi guys:

Thought I should let you know that the NAPA dealer in Lihue was able to get me a couple of BF Goodrich 7-12's. They are tubeless but I had him put in tubes so I can see about putting water into them. One of the tires had to come from San Diego.

I've had both tires now for just over a month, they are working fine.

Thanks to ismurphy and everyone for all the alternate suggestions. I didn't realize how hard it is to get things done w/o the tractor. ;-)

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm the opposite of an expert, but from what I understand, you don't want to ballast your front tires. It seems that doing so makes it too hard on other components and is not worth the benefit to risk ratio.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I'm the opposite of an expert, but from what I understand, you don't want to ballast your front tires. It seems that doing so makes it too hard on other components and is not worth the benefit to risk ratio.

The additional weight is not carried by the tractor and has no bearing on the steering sector.
Weight is solely at the ground......not the tractor.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm aware of that. But I was though I recalled that the font tire loading caused extra stresses on the weaker front drive and steering components. The gist was that it imposes more constant stress on some components with the least margin, and that it was very little practical benefit anyway, so load the rear and leave the front alone. But as I originally said, I make know claim to independent knowledge, just passing on something I was told that seemed to make sense (particularly with the number of damaged front drives that seem to be around).

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The manual states not to use liquid in the front tires, it doesn't say not to ballast just says not with liquid.
I think it has far more to do with control than a weight issue, as they sell front weights that far exceed what weight you could put in the tires.
My front tires on the L3450 are ballasted with Foam, I like the feel and the control that the heavier tires gives, it has full hydostatic steering with no mechanical linkage so it has no feedback on rough ground.
My B7100 had front liquid ballast in them, on that one I really didn't notice a traction difference when I put new tires on it and didn't ballast them, but I did notice a steering difference (better non-ballasted), that has the stock mechanical "steering by arm strong" in it.

L3450 front tires.jpg

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
When you liquid fill your rear tires you get a bouncing ride as the liquid goes around the tire. If you liquid fill the front tires this would be putting a constant shock load on the small front axle.:eek: Not a good idea IMHO.