K-Connect on a BX2230?

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Is it possible to install a K-Connect quick hitch BX2810 and PTO shaft kit on a BX2230?
I have looked at a few pictures of them installed on later BX models, and it appears that there is either one piece that is installed inside the front of the frame rails or a couple of pieces. The only thing I see that is lacking on my machine would be some holes to bolt the mount to the frame rails.
I may be missing something, so that's why I'm asking.

Neither of the local dealers know if it's possible, since the application list doesn't list the 2230.

If I can put a quick hitch and a snow blower on my BX, I could sell my JD430 that I only use for snow removal. Would be one less piece of equipment to maintain.

Experts?

Attachments

japollner

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 23, 2018
GREENFIELD
Is it possible to install a K-Connect quick hitch BX2810 and PTO shaft kit on a BX2230?
I have looked at a few pictures of them installed on later BX models, and it appears that there is either one piece that is installed inside the front of the frame rails or a couple of pieces. The only thing I see that is lacking on my machine would be some holes to bolt the mount to the frame rails.
I may be missing something, so that's why I'm asking.

Neither of the local dealers know if it's possible, since the application list doesn't list the 2230.

If I can put a quick hitch and a snow blower on my BX, I could sell my JD430 that I only use for snow removal. Would be one less piece of equipment to maintain.

Experts?
I see screen grabs from one of our videos up there!

The way it was explained to me was that the new K-Connect system was designed to only work with new applications of the hitch itself. In essence, the connection from hitch to implement is the same across all K-Connect interfaces whether its the UTV or a tractor, but how it attaches to the tractor are different. The sales guy said that going forward all new tractor generations will be able to play with the K-Connect system, and that there may be some backwards compatibility, but that it wouldn't always be the case.

I would wager that Kubota wouldn't be selling that many new and shiny blowers to go on tractors that are 4 and 5 generations old. As such, I wouldn't hold your breath for an adapter.

That said, you should be able to measure the distances on a BX80 that they have on the lot and compare it to yours. The spacing between the lugs that the hitch "hangs" on to would be the biggies, as well as clearance for the shaft that exits the K-Connect hitch. If things are the same or similar enough that you can do some spacing, it may be able to be adapted.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
So a little more research leads me to believe the BX2810 K-Connect hitch can be installed on my 2230 with a modification to the frame rails.
As you can see in the pictures, the later BX frame rails are longer in front of where the front grille supports bolt into them. The inside dimension between the frame rails is the same on both models. I'm going to go back to the dealer a make some precise measurements on one of the BXs on his lot so I know just exactly how much it needs to be extended, but it looks like a couple of inches. Other than needing a few new holes to be drilled, I don't see any major engineering problems.
By cutting the front plate off the frame, I can fabricate a piece to extend each side of the front of the frame the needed amount. Those can be jigged up and welded in place, and a reinforcing plate maybe 6" long welded and bolted over the joint. Since the adapter for the hitch only bolts to the inside of the frame, it should work just fine.

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Why not just build a steel box in the dimensions that you need to extend the frame and bolt it onto the existing front frame panel. If your frame is anything like mine, it already has the holes in it to bolt your new frame extension box to.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Why not just build a steel box in the dimensions that you need to extend the frame and bolt it onto the existing front frame panel. If your frame is anything like mine, it already has the holes in it to bolt your new frame extension box to.
That's a good idea. I would still use a plate on each side extending back a couple of inches and bolt it to the original frame rails.
When I get the kit, I'll look at that.

Thanks.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Then, you will need to double up the side plates, and if you are concerned about strength of the addition, drill the outer plate, and plug weld it. You could also bevel the 2 edges to create a V and then weld the two plate together that way. Lots of ways to do this, but I don't believe that the extra side plate would be necessary, if you were to bolt the 2 pieces together using grade 8 flange bolts and nuts.