switching between bar and turf tires....

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 BX1880 w FEL, 54"MMM, 2019 BX2816 50 " snowblower
Dec 12, 2017
NY
well, I'm gonna mow tomorrow, I will let you guys know how it goes...hopefully I still have a lawn left

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
...hopefully I still have a lawn left
You will have lawn left.

Take it easy first trip, avoid sharp turns on the hills, and you'll see. Understand if it's steep enough, turfs won't necessarily eliminate digging. As Wolfman pointed out, putting it in 4wd might/could help in the hilly parts, as long as you don't have to turn too sharp.......

A couple pictures of your hilly parts would help me.....I often joke my BX is part Mountain Goat for some of the places I mow, so I've done a few steep places.

Good luck!

Last edited:

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 12, 2017
NY
here's a shot of the steeper hill. I used to go side to side for a bit, then go straight bottom to top with my old 42" lawn tractor. but with the "big boy" I better stick to straight up and down I think...I really dont need to roll it down the hill into the pool...lol

BTW sorry the pic sucks, I kept trying to load the one from my phone and it kept posting upside down so I had to resize it.

Last edited:

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
I just traded a BX1860 for a B2301, I mowed for 6 years with the same tires and very rarely did damage to my yard. I can tell if you don't need 4wd then that will help, also mow when dry. Avoid sharp turns as others have said, use the 3 point turn method

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
here's a shot of the steeper hill. I used to go side to side for a bit, then go straight bottom to top with my old 42" lawn tractor. but with the "big boy" I better stick to straight up and down I think...I really dont need to roll it down the hill into the pool...lol
Your picture works fine. True its steep, but I don't think you will tear it up if you do as you planned.

Even though it's triple the weight of your old mower, you will be surprised how quick you get used to the bigger machine.

If you have trees - watch for clearance of the ROPS!

Good luck!

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 12, 2017
NY
well, me and the kubota survived the intial cutting of the lawn. She did real well, I drove in 2wd the whole time. It seems that the thicker areas take the industrial/bar tires better than the thinner grassy areas. Which stands to reason I guess. when I go over a thinner section I can see the imprint of the tire track left behind, where is in the lusher part of the lawn, its much more hidden. I took about a pound and a half from the tires too. just have to get used to wide turning radius

Still not sure I'm sold on this idea, but Im prob just over O.C.D. about it and my lawn....just ask the wife...lol

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you mow at any time when it's wet, or damp, like when it's covered in dew, use 4wd!
In 2wd if you loose traction and need to brake your rear tires can break loose and the fronts won't do anything for you.
If your in 4wd the braking action will be transferred to the front tires as well through the Driveshaft, giving you a lot more control. ;)

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 12, 2017
NY
If you mow at any time when it's wet, or damp, like when it's covered in dew, use 4wd!
In 2wd if you loose traction and need to brake your rear tires can break loose and the fronts won't do anything for you.
If your in 4wd the braking action will be transferred to the front tires as well through the Driveshaft, giving you a lot more control. ;)
excellent tip sir, but doesnt being in 4wd make it "harder on the lawn" to steer? or is that a wise tale....

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
In my opinion it won’t make it harder to steer but could leave tire marks when you turn especially if you turn in a hurry or too sharp. I believe wolfman is saying to keep it in 4wd so that the rear tires don’t spin when it’s wet.

I would assume you’ve cut your lawn more than once by now, hows it working out?

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 12, 2017
NY
In my opinion it won’t make it harder to steer but could leave tire marks when you turn especially if you turn in a hurry or too sharp. I believe wolfman is saying to keep it in 4wd so that the rear tires don’t spin when it’s wet.

I would assume you’ve cut your lawn more than once by now, hows it working out?
All the suggestions really helped out, but just for a kick and a giggle I called up the local dealer and asked for a quote on turfs and rims... got a real nice price...so I went ahead and ordered them.

Long story short, I should be happy, wife not so much :D:D... But she questioned why I needed a tractor to begin with, so her opinion is clearly distorted.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
But she questioned why I needed a tractor to begin with, so her opinion is clearly distorted.
The CEO of our local Corporation (i.e., Mrs.) had similar questions and dissention. Fortunately the CFO is the Mr........:p:p

She was sold it was a prudent purchase shortly after I bought it.

She could easily be talked into an upgrade from a BX to a B sometime....:cool:

Unfortunately, the CFO has problems with it...:confused:

Last edited: