B2650, wheel spacers and tire chains on turf tires

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I do use the blade flipped around when I'm making piles. I pull everything going forward then then turn around to make the piles. My situation favors this procedure though since I have a large turnaround area with room to make a few large piles. I haven't had a need to use the bucket this year, yet. My piles are about maxed out for rear blade use.

sent from a field

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Sheep,

After much more deliberation, comparing the cost to modify my existing chains versus purchasing a set to fit, I bought a set of 4 link chains. I can use what I have to turn them into 2 link chains with a lot of spare parts.

When they get here, I can run them over so you can see what they look like on the tractor.

sent from a field

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I'd like to see how the chains fit on your tractor, and also the Bora spacers, so if you are driving by stop in. Thanks! Looks like the nice packed base I have on my drive is going to melt off in the next week, so it will be back to gouging up the lawn and drive with the skids. :(

Last edited:

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Spacers aren't supposed to ship until the 2nd.

But my chains showed up.

This is the second time I've used tirechain.com and I can't say enough. Very pleased with the product and service.

On the left is the 4 link Chain for my 2650 and on the right is a 2 link Chain for my old JD650. I was surprised to see the cross chains be the same length. That makes turning the new chains into 2 link chains a lot easier.

Sheep, I won't be able to install these until my spacers show up, but I can bring them over and we can see how they would fit on yours. Would you prefer to see them in the existing 4 link configuration or 2 link? Perhaps one of each...

sent from a field

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
That would be great, an interesting experiment to compare how they go on and what they look like in the two configurations. I am not entirely clear as to what you are going to add to yours, so I'm curious. I'm around most of this week. Ground freezing up too.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
That would be great, an interesting experiment to compare how they go on and what they look like in the two configurations. I am not entirely clear as to what you are going to add to yours, so I'm curious. I'm around most of this week. Ground freezing up too.
If you look at the set on the left, they are 4 link spaced. Meaning there is a cross chain every 4 links on the side chain. The cross chains are what go across the tire tread and the side chains are what rest on the sidewalls.

The set on the right are 2 link spaced.

The idea behind the 2 link spacing is less "bounce" while driving and supposedly better traction. The tires I had on my JD were wide ag style tires, probably better compared to r4's but not quite. So the 2 link spacing was optimal on them.

Not sure on the turfs... Im thinking more cross chains simply because I have them...

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Ok, I see. At first I only looked at the bottom part of the one on the left, and it looks like there is only one empty link between the ones with chains attached, but the upper ones have more.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Great thread. Id like to see how you guys install the chains on your 2650, pictures if you please, I've never done it before and mines just sitting in a barrel. :)

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I got one of the chains redone as a 2 link set up and took them both over to Sheeps farm. We agreed the 2 link chain will be a better option for traction given the overall height of the tires on the 2650.

We did throw one up on her tractor and I looked at the space between the chain and the fender. She has the Kubota spacers and I think a .5" spacer would be enough to clear chains. 1" if you don't like living on the edge.

My spacers shipped yesterday....

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Spacers on. Taking a warming break then going to start on the chains. Pics to follow.

There is more than enough room with the 1.5" spacers.

sent from a field

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Do you lift the tires off the ground to install the chains or just drive over em?

What is the box of spring things in the back? Is that what you use to tighten em up?

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I do jack the back end up so I can spin the tires and get the chains tight.

Yes on the springs. I had to have them for my old tractor because I didn't want to have to modify the chains. They are trampoline springs and came in a box of 30 iirc. I have 1 more link I can tighten on the outside side chain and if that doesn't snug them up after airing the tires back up, I'll use the springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk