turf vs r4 this dead horse needs a beatin

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
2650 is a B series, correct? Series makes a difference as I believe wheel spacers will void warranties in some, not in others. Thickness of spacers may also play a role as to whether or not the warranty is voided.

That said, the warranty on my BX has expired, and I am greatly enjoying 2" spacers and turf tires over the original R-4's.

For MY purposes, mowing and snow removal, with no loader, turfs work far, far, far better than the R-4's I put up with the first few years. R-4's are just too stiff and the ride was horrible. Ride quality makes a difference when hip and back issues come into play. Turfs and chains work better in the snow than R-4's alone, or with chains which fall between the lugs and become useless.

I've tried to sell the original R-4's, but nobody wants to pay more than a give away price, so apparently there aren't that many people who really want them when it comes right down to it.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
2650 is a B series, correct? Series makes a difference as I believe wheel spacers will void warranties in some, not in others. Thickness of spacers may also play a role as to whether or not the warranty is voided.

That said, the warranty on my BX has expired, and I am greatly enjoying 2" spacers and turf tires over the original R-4's.

For MY purposes, mowing and snow removal, with no loader, turfs work far, far, far better than the R-4's I put up with the first few years. R-4's are just too stiff and the ride was horrible. Ride quality makes a difference when hip and back issues come into play. Turfs and chains work better in the snow than R-4's alone, or with chains which fall between the lugs and become useless.

I've tried to sell the original R-4's, but nobody wants to pay more than a give away price, so apparently there aren't that many people who really want them when it comes right down to it.
Yes, the 2650 is the B series. When I traded in the B3350, and not happy with the depressions the r4's left in the grass, I ended up getting turf tires with OEM 1 3/8 rear spacers. I was concerned about warranty as you mentioned and engineered specs. I haven't heard anything negative about the 2" spacers and I'm sure the extra width helps to a degree, but I rather be safe than sorry.

Since I didn't get much practice time learning just how far I could push the B3350 without tipping over, (thank goodness! lol) it's hard for me to compare stability, although the weights and size are almost identical. I have been far more adventurous with the B2650 since I "feel" safer with the spacers. For that I have no regrets whatsoever. So far I am very pleased with the maneuverability and its handling on the turf, both up and down steep inclines and traversing along side the hill as well. I have been keeping it in 4 wheel drive all the same.

I have used the front loader for several small jobs, and I did notice I spun the tires tearing up the turf a bit at first, but once I went really slow, I found I was able to get my work done without damaging the turf. A definite plus.

I plan to leave me backhoe on for the most part, for ballasting reasons. I was debating a 3 point sprayer for a small orchard I have, but I'm taking it slow. For now I got a northstar atv sprayer that suits me well. Maybe next year. (I need to get good at detaching and reattaching my other attachments first :eek:)

I used my snow blower 7 times this past winter. I didn't have any issues slipping with the R4's. But it was mild, and I want to be prepared for the worst. You've confirmed what other people have said about the turfs handling better in the snow/ice with the chains. So I'm glad I went with the turfs, undoubtedly.

At first I was hesitant in getting chains because I didn't want to mar up my nice blacktop, but I would rather walk around fixing it with a bucket of tar than sliding out of control and flipping, or even worse, tumbling down a ravine and crushing my cab to bits.

I also ended up NOT ballasting the rears. Some have said it would help me from tipping. When I spoke with the kubota mechanic, he said it wouldn't be necessary. He said since the backhoe went past the axle it would provide more than enough ballast. That and it's about 850 pounds! lol I'm still amazed how much these tractors can handle!

I agree, the ride quality seems to be a bit smoother although I haven't taken it on my blacktop yet, Once I hook up the snowblower that'll be the true test. My turf is kinda hilly and bumpy anyway and I've been going slow, still breaking her in, but I hear ya, my back just ain't what it used to be, Every bit helps!

I also picked up a set of R1's for my forest/stream crossing work, although I haven't used em yet, I'm sure they will perform. They are chunky!

It kinda surprises me some people don't have a set of each. What with the amount of money folks spend on a multitude of attachments, it just doesn't make sense not to if you have cause for it. I've got work boots, hiking boots, rain boots, pac boots. The right tire for the right job!

I guess it's just easier for corporate to sell one "jack of all tires." I was also a little disappointed in not being able to find a 6 or 8 ply turf tire for the tractor so I could benefit from the weight/load ratings that r4's offer. Titan lists them as for sale but you can't get them, not enough demand they said. Ah well, I dress light and skip breakfast before I head out. lol

Thanks for the reply! :)

Last edited:

Huskerfan

Equipment
Kubota B2650 HSTC, Grasshopper 725Dt
May 24, 2016
Iowa
Thanks for all the advice. 2650HSTC with unloaded turf tires arrived yesterday. The Titan turf tires seem quite beefy, much deeper lugs than on the BX2200. Mated with a 72 in MMM, it is an excellent mowing machine. The wider deck and surprisingly short turning radius can cover a large lawn quickly even with trees.
Haven't used the loader or pallet bucket yet.

mtnbkr

Equipment
BX 2200
Nov 21, 2015
Mansfield Mass
A lot of good info here. I want to add something I have not seen addressed. I put a pair of 1.5 Brotek spacers on the rear and they seem to make a difference cutting off camber with my turf tires. I have a set of AG tires for the winter and the spacers make tire change a lot easier. The spacers use studs instead of bolts so the tires go on much easier and faster.

The 1.5 spacers are the largest I can fit on the 2200 because of the left rear anti scalp wheel on the 60" MMM. The 2" spacers would cause the left tractor wheel to rub that bracket.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
A lot of good info here. I want to add something I have not seen addressed. I put a pair of 1.5 Brotek spacers on the rear and they seem to make a difference cutting off camber with my turf tires. I have a set of AG tires for the winter and the spacers make tire change a lot easier. The spacers use studs instead of bolts so the tires go on much easier and faster.

The 1.5 spacers are the largest I can fit on the 2200 because of the left rear anti scalp wheel on the 60" MMM. The 2" spacers would cause the left tractor wheel to rub that bracket.
How would adding rear spacers affect the negative camber that's on your front tires?

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
My B7200 TLB has turfs and I have never been in a situation I couldn't get thru, including some swamp type mud, and deep snow. The nice thing with the backhoe on there is you always have an on board "winch" if you will. If you do get stuck with the turfs you can push or pull yourself out.

As far as turf damage, unless you run over and over again on the same spot you'll never know you went thru there. Plus when you do hit a soft spot/deep snow you float over it more so then dig in so you don't necessarily need heavy lugs unless you're climbing a hill(or trying to control your speed down hill)

They do offer more or less aggressive turf tires. I.E. Carlisle multi-trac C/S is pretty close tread pattern to some mud terrains you buy for your pickup truck VS a Carlisle turf safer which would be on your lawn mower.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
HA! Thats a great idea, use the backhoe to winch yourself out, I never thought of that. Kinda like this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeWYBLGZQcw
Using the differential lock would have helped too - notice that only ONE rear was spinning at a time, then again - he might not have been able to hit that lever from his position on the hoe!;)

Myb3350

Equipment
B3350 JD430 Moline BG and BF
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
I have a B3350 r4 loaded tires with spacers, the tractor is very stable, I fell very comfortable, I get very good traction I use the tractor for a lawn mower and farm tractor great combination,down south so we don't have the ice to deal with, was bushing hogging last week front end of tractor fell into a sink hole I thought I was going to have to get my john deer to get me out, then thought about using my front end loader sure enough it got me out with out any problem, boy did it come in handy

Last edited: