Fabricated cup holder for the Kubota Grand L

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Ya I know they come with two cup holders but did you ever try and use one? Not deep enough and you need to be doubled jointed to reach them. Yesterday I needed some "ME" time so I went out to the shop, turned on the tunes and gathered up some scrap aluminum I had kicking around and after some cutting, bending,machining and tig welding I got me a cup holder that actually works, comfortable to use and it's in the right place and fits the mug I'm using.

Oh. Have a look at the mug. It's a double cupper (holds to cups). The hot beverage will stay hot for over 2.5 hours in it and the best of all its spill proof. You can have this thing full of coffee and shake it to death and it won't spill. The wife and I use them in the car all the time. There's a button that opens a valve in the lid to let the beverage out. If you don't push the button your not getting a drink that's how good it is. If the placement of the holder looks a little out of level that's because it is. It's was the most comfortable position for removing and putting the mug back. Total cost. Just the price of the mug and a few hours work. Nothing fancy but works. Have a look.

Attachments

Wildfire

Equipment
Nice work. Looks like you have a dream job.
Thanks. Like everyone else, some days it is my dream job but there are other days............ The projects I post on here aren't really my day job unfortunately but most of the work I do in the shop is interesting most days.

dunham

Equipment
L3800, FEL, HST, backhoe, snow blower 72 in
Sep 13, 2011
dunham, quebec
Cool....! And this exact orange color...I want one! I own a L3800 that has a cup holder but not nice like yours..

Wildfire

Equipment
Cool....! And this exact orange color...I want one! I own a L3800 that has a cup holder but not nice like yours..
Hey we got a newbe. Welcome to the site! Glad you liked my cup holder. The Grand L's have two cup holders in them but you need to be double jointed to use the buggers so that's why I made this one. Come on over with your tractor and I'll make you a custom holder ;)

For those interested. I put up a new video on YouTube of the new 5740 and it shows the items I've added to it. It's a two part video so this is part #1. #2 should be uploaded tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMTFbFn3U1M

Last edited:

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Two hands -> two cup holders! Of course... ;)

Looks great. Maybe you don't make it to obviously to your wife, that you will move out the house... :D so you can ride 24h the tractor.

have fun

carl

Wildfire

Equipment
Great video…and fantastic tractor!

You should be a consultant or engineer for Kubota;)

Thanks. Glad you like it. Can I use your name as a reference If I apply with kubota ? :D

Two hands -> two cup holders! Of course... ;)

Looks great. Maybe you don't make it to obviously to your wife, that you will move out the house... :D so you can ride 24h the tractor.

have fun

carl
Thanks Carl. I sure hope she don't figure it out :D You did. How about this mod I did with the tractor.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
And this is why you dont drink and drive your tractor. You might run into something and smoosh it smaller!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
All kidding aside, you always do a grand job of things. However I wonder how long its going to be before some of these little things begin to turn up as OEM equipment,, Don't laff I know a fellow that is an HD geek and can do things most people have never thought of to a HD,, And like you he shares lots of them on the net, its funny how some of his ideas have slid in to the HD line up as an OEM goodies, and he ofcourse has gotten nothing from the MoCo. So it will be fun to see how long before the lights and mods and ESP the cup holders wind up as OEM goodies thanks to old wildfire,,lol

Wildfire

Equipment
And this is why you dont drink and drive your tractor. You might run into something and smoosh it smaller!

Now you've gone and figured it out :D

All kidding aside, you always do a grand job of things. However I wonder how long its going to be before some of these little things begin to turn up as OEM equipment,, Don't laff I know a fellow that is an HD geek and can do things most people have never thought of to a HD,, And like you he shares lots of them on the net, its funny how some of his ideas have slid in to the HD line up as an OEM goodies, and he ofcourse has gotten nothing from the MoCo. So it will be fun to see how long before the lights and mods and ESP the cup holders wind up as OEM goodies thanks to old wildfire,,lol
Thank you for the kind words on my work/ideas. I also understand what your saying and that being said I have done business with some manufacturers on some of my ideas and it's worked out very nicely. The biggest problem here is not the North American companies but the Chinese. The Chinese will steal an idea, use it and there's nothing we can do about it.

Now all that being said I show what I want to show but I don't show my full hand. There is no less than three mods done to this new tractor that has never been done before as far as I can tell and they are very functional. Two were on the 4240 and carried over to the 5740 I liked them that much. I've also designed tooling that I've never published over the net for the same reasons you mentioned.

Now one question for you. What's the alternative? Do I stop posting this stuff? Hum. Now you got me thinking :confused:

bbbobbb

Sep 7, 2011
Bucks County PA
You are incredible, I too work in a machine shop and do many mods to my B3300SU that i will soon be posting. I've been following your post and now I'm able to see the great vid u made. You do very nice work. The cup holder is a real good one. What store did u get it at ?

Wildfire

Equipment
You are incredible, I too work in a machine shop and do many mods to my B3300SU that i will soon be posting. I've been following your post and now I'm able to see the great vid u made. You do very nice work. The cup holder is a real good one. What store did u get it at ?
Thanks Bob. I really appreciate your kind words on my work. It's always nice to hear that someone enjoys seeing this stuff. I got the cup at our local Costco. They cost $20. for two and they are great. Here is a web site for them. I'll be looking forward to seeing your work as well.

http://www.gocontigo.com/travel-mugs.html

Where did u get thoses LED lights from ? You do great work. Thanks Bob
Bob which lights are you referring to? I get them different places but if I knew which ones you were interested in I'd tell you. Thanks again, Paul

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
...but the Chinese.
When you are working with some manufacturers maybe you should be satisfied with the busines in Canada or USA. In the end you need to paiy to get patents and then to fight for your rights if your ideas are copied. If you just take a share of the profit the manufacturers make, all the problems with chinese copys are their business. You get some money and not frustrated by copies.

I know what you mean and also what you feel. I can see all that stuff when I travel in China. When I look for useable tools, they even copy german stuff with "Made in Germany".
And allways tell you to be copied is an honor to the Master...

But nowadays even the Chinese get unhappy being copied by their Brothers and Sisters :)

carl

Wildfire

Equipment
When you are working with some manufacturers maybe you should be satisfied with the busines in Canada or USA. In the end you need to paiy to get patents and then to fight for your rights if your ideas are copied. If you just take a share of the profit the manufacturers make, all the problems with chinese copys are their business. You get some money and not frustrated by copies.

I know what you mean and also what you feel. I can see all that stuff when I travel in China. When I look for useable tools, they even copy german stuff with "Made in Germany".
And allways tell you to be copied is an honor to the Master...

But nowadays even the Chinese get unhappy being copied by their Brothers and Sisters :)

carl
China is starting to get Vietnam to do there work for them. They re-engineer everything. I'm surprised they would use " Made in Germany" but I guess they don't care.
I have always admired Germany and it's people for there outstanding design and workmanship. Your people are the best in the world when it comes to manufacturing.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Your people are the best in the world when it comes to manufacturing.
Maybe... :rolleyes:

What I have figured out is that our cultur of working is different to a lot of other societies. Most work to live, the germans say they live to work. We don't call our work a job, we use "Beruf" which means something like "the reason to live". So we normally don't have a behaviour of " It's not my job", we care about the product and efficiency.
Money is in the end just to support your living, but not really the reason why you do the work.
Of course there are also those who live at the edge of surviving...

I like this way of culture, because you are pleased by the work you get done. You are proud about your skills.
Like you... ;)

carl