seat safety weight question

ahardy

Equipment
L5740
May 25, 2020
Riverton WY
I just bought L5740 2009 w 300 hours. Looks in great shape. starts right up. Transport person unloaded it without issues. It stalls after 50 to 100 ft. I weigh 120 pounds. Is my weight setting off the stop sensor (operator presence control system)? No warning lights are on the display. It has 1/2 tank of diesel showing. I have the mower attached, but not running. Thanks Alicen

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Are you sure your fuel-valve is turned on?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If your weight was the issue you would probably not get fifty to a hundred feet. Your fuel could be turned off, you could have a blocked fuel filter, or you could have a blockage in the fuel line or the exit from the tank itself.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Another thought after looking at the parts illustration for your tractor's fuel system.

You are having this issue with 1/2 tank of fuel. Fill the tank and see if the problem stops.

Many tractors including yours use a lift pump, i.e. a pump to feed fuel to the diesel injection pump.

When the fuel tank is full, if the top of the tank is above the height of the injection pump, fuel will flow by gravity and satisfy the engine's needs.

At other times, such as driving on slopes or with a partially filled fuel tank, the height of the fuel level drops below the injection pump and a lift pump is needed to deliver the fuel.

When working on gravity, the lift pump's internal valves allow the fuel to flow freely. There is no switching on or off of the lift pump but if yours is failing it could explain the stalling with less than a full tank.

Dave

ahardy

Equipment
L5740
May 25, 2020
Riverton WY
Kubota L5740 keeps stalling: If you have lightweight ladies driving your tractors: It was the seat operator presence control. I drove another persons Kubota today and when I leaned forward to start to turn it off it died. I have to pull the sit all the way forward and not lean forward or it triggers not enough weight and stalls the tractor. Either that or start eating alot of ice cream and donuts. Thank you all for your reply as I am learning. Pretty motivated. Read the entire owners manual last night, good sleeping material.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I have no problem believing your weight is not enough for the safety switch in the seat. Some will say well if you lay a large rock in the seat it will keep the switch working but the tractor is sitting still, the rock is not moving around, the seat is not bouncing since the tractor is sitting still and all of your weight is not in the seat for a lot of your legs and feet weight are not riding on the seat rather on your feet. I would bypass the switch and see if that solves it.

It was interesting to read about the lift pump for the fuel, was not aware of that.

Reactions: 1 user

ahardy

Equipment
L5740
May 25, 2020
Riverton WY
thanks everyone! So far, so good. Since I didn't know why it was stalling at first, I kept leaning forward to see the panel for error codes. Every time I did that, I took some weight off the seat and it stalled. I have moved the seat almost all the way forward and I got the mower going and have put the tractor to work. So far I don't think I need to disable the seat, just keep my butt in the seat. lol Hope this helps if your daughters or wife's are working your tractor. Enjoying this orange tractor now!

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
You could also replace the sensor in the seat. I think its around $60. That old switch may not be as sensitive as it once was and is becoming easier to trip. Its too bad yours isnt as asimple and mine. On the L2501 its a simple little plastic finger that flops up and down. U can literally take a rubber band and hold it down, or reach under with your hand and hold it down. I am a small guy like you, and weight under 130 as well. If I lean to the side on the L2501 mine will start to cut off. I can usually shift my weight back into the seat quickly and catch the engine before it dies and it will keep going - gotta be fast though :D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Welcome to the forum. I think you need to eat more pizza! My wife is 110# and does all the mowing with a Grasshopper zero turn. She'd be mowing and I'd hear the engine die, and immediately continue running.

I soon discovered she was traveling at a pretty good rate and would hit anything that wasn't absolutely smooth, the small "bounce" with not enough weight would cause the problem. The switches can get a wear spot on them cause the problem. I replaced that switch, and it did cure that condition.

On your L5740 I think you can put a spacer of some sort, like a small plastic cap) on top of the switch under your seat. It's a plunger switch. That spacer will allow the switch to make better contact for a light weight operator. (No offense meant!)

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Under the seat on mine is a safety switch that pops up shutting off the tractor. When I would run the chipper or get off the tractor would die. I took a zip tie three or or four years ago and zip tied it down. No more issues.

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
I took a zip tie three or or four years ago and zip tied it down. No more issues.
Wish I could get away with it but its too hilly here to get away with. Part of the fire brake area has a real potential for a roll over if I get stupid. I want it to die if it gets tipped.

Arlian

Sep 10, 2017
Coopersburg, PA
I wanted to share that I found a similar behavior recently on my 2017 L3901 with a different cause. I confirmed the seat switch was good by doing the check on continuity between pins A and C when fully depressed. It checked good. Then I jumped the harness between pins A and C on the tractor side connector and the stalling behavior continued. After a little bit of head scratching I inspected the harness and found a broken wire on the tractor side of the harness about 1 inch from the connector. The strands in the wire were broken, but the plastic exterior was only partially compromised so it was not obvious initially that there was a broken wire. I soldered a short piece of wire in to repair it and that fixed the problem.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I had this problem on my MX4800...and I'm not lightweight. But leaning forward, or to the left or right, would cause a stall or near stall. The tiny little digital display would state "OPC" which stands for operator presence control. See if your display shows that anywhere when it does it again.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
If your seat is spring loaded, try loosening that up if you haven’t already.