M4D-071 problems

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I just watched the video and I'd say that's normal for hyd steering. With the extra weight of the loader on there the tires are getting plenty of bite and while turning slow it doesn't have enough flow to make them turn. I bet if you lift the front tires off the ground it will work fine. Just the nature of the beast.

Like my L3000. It doesn't have hydrostatic steering and with a load on the front I can't turn my wheels at all unless it's moving. just something you have to get used to.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Rex, both my M9's act the same way and always have since new. Slow movement, no movement in the wheels (at idle). Fast wheel movement at idle, wheels cut. Now if I kick up the rpm and move the wheel slowly, the wheels cut slowly. I think it's just the nature of the steering mechanism.

Occasionally on pavement, mine will pull to the side as well but it vanishes just as fast as it appears. Again, I think it's the steering mechanism. I do a lot of roading, my fields are pretty far apart as in miles so lots of times I'm roading at rated RPM in high gear, wish it went a bit faster than 22 mph sometimes.

Love to have a JCB Fastrak. Just cannot afford the asking price. Something about 45 per on the road with a tractor I find interesting.

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
I am use to having to correct the steering by maybe bumping it from time to time but I have never had a tractor that while going on a straight road I needed to continue turning the wheel to the left, that just doesn't seem normal to me.

Rex

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That isn't right. I have to correct mine but just a slight nudge. Not familiar with the workings of the steering mechanism but I wonder if there is a setting to eliminate that. It is hydraulic after all.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I watched the video & I agree I've never seen that much free movement in hydostatic steering valve with no movement in frt wheels. I think either control valve or cylinder is leaking internally.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Under some circumstances, when sitting still and not rolling for example, and with the engine at low speed, turning the steering wheel (even vigorously) can have no apparent effect on changing the angle of the front wheels.

I’m not sure that short video demonstrates a problem because of the non-rolling moment...but it does border on being excessive and the dealer should be able to address that.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I am use to having to correct the steering by maybe bumping it from time to time but I have never had a tractor that while going on a straight road I needed to continue turning the wheel to the left, that just doesn't seem normal to me.

Rex
The need to correct will depend on the pitch of the road. If it's a flat road not much correction is needed. If it has pitch to the right or left the tractor will follow and you'll need to correct. Every hydrostatic steer tractor I've been on is that way.

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
Went by the dealer and they had a new m4 like mine and the steering did the same as mine, the service manager said that is the way they all work, ots crazy to me but I guess that is the kubota way. It does look like they would fix that, apparently itt has been like that for a long time with kubota.

Rex

bernhardine

Equipment
M4072 (M4D-071), B7000
Jan 14, 2019
Germany
I can't really believe all this. We've got three tractors of this modell here in our village. I checked mine this morning, the one of my neighbour this afternoon and phoned the third owner and asked him about.
All three M4-071 don't show that behaviour! All three follow exactly and absolut direct the turn of the steering wheel.
We checked on different grounds and with FEL (and a little load) and without. It was always the same: if the steeringwheel is turned very slowly, the front wheels move instantly and hold the position when turning stops.
If the steering wheel ist turned quicker, like in your video, the front wheels react very much quicker than shown in the video.

Even the WSM says that it is an issue, if you have to turn the steeringwheel all the time, if you drive a straight line.

Last edited:

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
I can't really believe all this. We've got three tractors of this modell here in our village. I checked mine this morning, the one of my neighbour this afternoon and phoned the third owner and asked him about.
All three M4-071 don't show that behaviour! All three follow exactly and absolut direct the turn of the steering wheel.
We checked on different grounds and with FEL (and a little load) and without. It was always the same: if the steeringwheel is turned very slowly, the front wheels move instantly and hold the position when turning stops.
If the steering wheel ist turned quicker, like in your video, the front wheels react very much quicker than shown in the video.

Even the WSM says that it is an issue, if you have to turn the steeringwheel all the time, if you drive a straight line.
What size tires do you have on the front? Mine and the others that I have checked were 320/70/24 and sitting on grass.

Rex

bernhardine

Equipment
M4072 (M4D-071), B7000
Jan 14, 2019
Germany
What size tires do you have on the front? Mine and the others that I have checked were 320/70/24 and sitting on grass.
Rex
OEM here the tractor comes with 320/85 R20 in the front
I bought it with 360/70 R20.
My neighbour an the other guy have 420/60 R20 on the front.

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
OEM here the tractor comes with 320/85 R20 in the front
I bought it with 360/70 R20.
My neighbour an the other guy have 420/60 R20 on the front.
Hey,
Does your M4 have a mechanical link between the steering wheel and the front tires?

Rex

bernhardine

Equipment
M4072 (M4D-071), B7000
Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Does your M4 have a mechanical link between the steering wheel and the front tires?
No. Absolutely not.
It's a pure hydraulic/hydrostatic system.

And this system is the only one used on these specific models worldwide!

I'm pretty sure your problem is a faulty steering-cylinder at the front axle (or may be a not proper adjusted pressure relieve valve of the SCM).

Last edited:

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
I just watched the video and I'd say that's normal for hyd steering. With the extra weight of the loader on there the tires are getting plenty of bite and while turning slow it doesn't have enough flow to make them turn. I bet if you lift the front tires off the ground it will work fine. Just the nature of the beast.

Like my L3000. It doesn't have hydrostatic steering and with a load on the front I can't turn my wheels at all unless it's moving. just something you have to get used to.
I think you are right, my bosses jd 5076e does the same thing if you are sitting still.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The other day I fiddled with my M9000 in the driveway. Turned the steering wheels slowly at an idle with the loader on the ground. Wheels did not move. Raised the front end off the ground, same deal, wheels moved.

I think you are fine. Both my M's act the same way. I've never paid any attention to it actually.

Now, turning the engine off and turning the steering wheel, the wheels move but the effort is quite high.

I do know with a 4x6 round bale on the front spear I'd better have some engine rpm or they won't turn at all.

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
So now my loader has started leaking down while running, measuring the lift cylinders it moves a 1/4" in 15 or 20 minutes with an empty bucket, dealer said it was the cylinders so I took them in and they rebuilt them but I'm pretty sure it's still doing it, got to check it better. La1154a, 120 hrs

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
So now my loader has started leaking down while running, measuring the lift cylinders it moves a 1/4" in 15 or 20 minutes with an empty bucket, dealer said it was the cylinders so I took them in and they rebuilt them but I'm pretty sure it's still doing it, got to check it better. La1154a, 120 hrs
My cab M9 leaks down, my open station M9 don't. My cab tractor has done that since new in 2004 I ignore it. The open station (2002) has never leaked at all, never drops.

Could be a valve seat in the loader control or possibly a speck of dirt under the seat but like I said, I don't pay any attention as it don't impact operation at all.

The cab tractor has 2200 hours on it, the open station has 4000 hours on it. Both loaders are the same, just different actuation linkage.

Rexr

Equipment
M4D-071
Feb 7, 2020
Georgia
Do you have to keep raising the loader if you are just driving or mowing with the cab tractor?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Do you have to keep raising the loader if you are just driving or mowing with the cab tractor?
Yep, curl too. Always been like that since new. Not to irritating, maybe once every hour or so. Only takes a second, not worth the aggrivation of taking the valve body apart. I'm sure it's a seat issue but it never gets any worse so I ignore it.

Years ago I had a smaller Kubota with a Kubota backhoe on it and it did the same thing, stabilizer legs would drop and so would the dipper stick. I put rubber bands on the legs and kept the boom locked.

Sold that even before I traded the tractor in on a new one. Most useless accessory I ever owned. Sold it on CL for what it cost me so that ended well.