BX23 Transmission won't move tractor

wfd2

Equipment
BX23, RTV900, M8560, and SSV65
Aug 7, 2013
Paris, MI
I was out pushing snow today and all of the sudden the tractor stopped, like I knocked the lever out of low.

Here are the symptoms:

1. Tractor whines and shudders and barely moves tractor. This happens in high or low, in reverse or forward.

2. Important point, when the throttle is set to high, the tractor stops shuddering and it feels like it's in neutral, even though it's in gear. Bring the throttle back down to under 3/4, it starts to shudder again and barely moves tractor.

3. Checked hydraulic oil, clean and no bubbles, etc and it's full.

4. Changed the hydraulic filter, as recommended on other sites. Didn't help.

5. Was record cold here a couple of days ago, -24 yesterday morning but it's 24 here now.

6. Checked linkage, looks good, appears to be moving in all the right places.

7. FEL and backhoe work fine as does the 3 pt lift.

Has anyone ever experienced this behavior or have any ideas where I might look next?

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
I had a similar experience with my BX 2370 (I doubt it is relative to your problem but thought I would mention). We got slammed with 3 feet of snow that left me dealing with six-foot drifts. I was working at the little BX hard using both the snowblower and F EL. As suddenly as you describe I encountered the same thing.

After going to the usual panic pucker I realized that snow had compressed and pack under both peddles and I was barely engaging the transmission. Once I chipped it out all is well and I was again reminded why mom never bragged about her bright son

petes all wet

Feb 21, 2015
stafford, virginia
mine did something similar. Filled tank with new bought diesel and ran it for three hours on Tuesday. Today (Saturday) cold start (24 degrees) in shed, 3 minutes warming up while I got coat and gloves on. Then one push across the driveway and there was a lunge, jerk, then the engine stopped, felt like I was popping the clutch on my dad's old ford truck. Now it wont start up at all. Recharged battery, checked oil levels, checked radiator levels. This has less than 100 hours use and I can't figure any reason it wont start. And my driveway is still covered in snow. any help appreciated.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
mine did something similar. Filled tank with new bought diesel and ran it for three hours on Tuesday. Today (Saturday) cold start (24 degrees) in shed, 3 minutes warming up while I got coat and gloves on. Then one push across the driveway and there was a lunge, jerk, then the engine stopped, felt like I was popping the clutch on my dad's old ford truck. Now it wont start up at all. Recharged battery, checked oil levels, checked radiator levels. This has less than 100 hours use and I can't figure any reason it wont start. And my driveway is still covered in snow. any help appreciated.
Sounds like some bad fuel. Even though it ran for 3 hrs when it sat overnight all the water would have settled to the bottom of the tank. That would give you a straight shot of water which would stop up your filter and kill the engine. I would try changing the fuel filters and try to start it back up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
wfd2,
Sounds like you might have something going on with either (externally) with the propeller shaft, or (internally) with the HST unit.
ON the propeller shaft look for sheered or missing bolts.
If you can look for the fan on the front of the HST pump spinning while you try to move the tractor.

petes all wet,
You could be suffering the same kind of fate if the motor won't crank.
If it does look for Fuel issues like Bulldog stated.

Attachments

Last edited:

wfd2

Equipment
Aug 7, 2013
Paris, MI
Thanks, I'll take a look at the drive train. Mine runs fine, BH, FEL works fine, just won't move. Funny thing is if you give full throttle, the tractor feels like you've taken it out of gear.

wfd2

Equipment
Aug 7, 2013
Paris, MI
My situation is a little different- mine runs fine, just won't move. Petes, also check the switch under the seat. There is a cut off switch under the seat that could be stuck or broken. A broken switch will kill the engine and could present itself as you described.