Front Tire came off Rim.

tsafa

Equipment
Kubota L3800, FEL, F550 Dump, 10K Trailer
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Does Kabota have Road Side assistance on a New Tractor? Tire looks like it came off rim while making a tight turn.

Any chance for Tire Repair on a Sat night during snow storm?

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Does Kabota have Road Side assistance on a New Tractor? Tire looks like it came off rim while making a tight turn.

Any chance for Tire Repair on a Sat night during snow storm?
Low air pressure?

Load on the FEL and no counter weight?

I've fixed tractor tires at home. Just pry it back on and air it up.

UnionMan

Equipment
M5-111HDC12, L3800 HST , RTV-X1100C, SCAG TigerCat 61" Kawi FX Motor
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
Never done a Tractor tire, but use to use a ratchet strap on ATV tires to get the bead to seat. I dont see why that would work on a front tire of a tractor.

UnionMan

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Low air pressure?

Load on the FEL and no counter weight?

I've fixed tractor tires at home. Just pry it back on and air it up.

No. It is dead flat. The tire is in the rim, but the seal has broken around the edge, so I can not just put air in there.

500 lb counter weight on the back.

Last edited:

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Never done a Tractor tire, but use to use a ratchet strap on ATV tires to get the bead to seat. I dont see why that would work on a front tire of a tractor.

UnionMan
I did not think of a ratchet around the tire. Does the front tire take have a normal size air valve for putting air into it. I have an small air compressor for cars and trucks. Would that fit on an L3800 front tire?

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Must of been low on air?

Yes it'll have a regular valve stem. And the ratchet strap should work.
The tire did not look low on pressure. Unless perhaps the 500lb counter-weight was preventing the front end from putting enough weight on the front tire to show that it was low on pressure.

I will try the ratchet strap tomorrow. My thought is to use the front end loader to raise the tractor in order to get the strap around it and inflate it. Let me know if this seems like a good idea (I know book says not to do this sort of thing). If it works, you guys saved me a bunch of money from having to send the tractor back to the dealer. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
The tire did not look low on pressure. Unless perhaps the 500lb counter-weight was preventing the front end from putting enough weight on the front tire to show that it was low on pressure.

I will try the ratchet strap tomorrow. My thought is to use the front end loader to raise the tractor in order to get the strap around it and inflate it. Let me know if this seems like a good idea (I know book says not to do this sort of thing). If it works, you guys saved me a bunch of money from having to send the tractor back to the dealer. Thanks.
It's fine to lift the front of the tractor with the bucket.

If that doesn't work, take the tire & rim off and run it down to the local tire shop. No way I'd take the whole tractor in for a flat.

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
It's fine to lift the front of the tractor with the bucket.

If that doesn't work, take the tire & rim off and run it down to the local tire shop. No way I'd take the whole tractor in for a flat.
Great advice. Thanks.

Since, we are on the subject of Flats... what would you do if on of the rear tires ever goes flat? Is that something that you guys would handle yourself? or does that go in for service?

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Many moons ago........

I bought my 'highly' educated brother (multiple degrees, 6 figure earner) an air compressor for christmas. He gave me this look as to say "WTF do I need this for?"

Everyman needs tools.

And wherewithal.

We don't even talk anymore..........I don't do christmas anymore either.

As for the roll-off on the front? No-brainer with a FEL. That sucker would be off and down the road in a matter of minutes.

As for the rear? You need a jack and big wrench........and if its full of ballast? .....yeah,....... you need a pair of those too.......

:)

Last edited:

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Seriously, on the rears........

That is what I keep 6x6 timber drops and plywood around for.

If in the field......

Plywood between the ground and jack......bucket down.....
jack it up.......slide timbers underneath for support......remove wheel.......roll wheel/tire on to utility trailer........take into town for repair or replace.

Or if you got money........Pay the $250-$300 service call plus repair.

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Seriously, on the rears........

That is what I keep 6x6 timber drops and plywood around for.

If in the field......

Plywood between the ground and jack......bucket down.....
jack it up.......slide timbers underneath for support......remove wheel.......roll wheel/tire on to utility trailer........take into town for repair or replace.

Or if you got money........Pay the $250-$300 service call plus repair.
Ok... looks like I better start shopping around for a serious jack.

What do you think of this one:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/big-red-12-ton-bottle-jack?cm_vc=-10005

Says 12 tons. Looks tall enough to reach the rear axle.

Or this one:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/big-red-6-ton-bottle-jack?cm_vc=-10005

Last edited:

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Tire wall height will determine the amount of lift you will need to get the tire off.
If you went out to your tractor in the morning to a flat rear tire and your tire has 8 inches of wall height, you will need a jack that has enough reach to get to the bottom of the axle and THEN give you 9 inches of lift to get the tire off.

The other thing, with large tires, you will not just pick it up and slide it on the lugs, you'll need to adjust the height of the tractor as you install the wheel.....up a 1/4".......down an 1/8".......etc.......

And even with blocking underneath, you won't ketch me reaching for a bottle jack with the wheel half on half off.

Look to a heavy floor jack........not to tote around but one you can throw in the back of the truck if you have a flat in the field.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Many moons ago........

I bought my 'highly' educated brother (multiple degrees, 6 figure earner) an air compressor for christmas. He gave me this look as to say "WTF do I need this for?"

Everyman needs tools.

And wherewithal.

We don't even talk anymore..........I don't do christmas anymore either.

As for the roll-off on the front? No-brainer with a FEL. That sucker would be off and down the road in a matter of minutes.

As for the rear? You need a jack and big wrench........and if its full of ballast? .....yeah,....... you need a pair of those too.......

:)
Murphy,

ever seen the ol starting fluid trick? Sounds crazy as hell, but I saw it work one time! Take the tire, shoot some starting fluid around inside and then throw a match inside:eek:.......expansion of the air fills the tire, and seals the bead on the rim! Shocked the sheeiut out of me.........no, I'll jack the tractor up and carry the tire in myself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A_XOWA-DAk

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Personally I wouldn't pay to to have a front tire fixed unless it was the last option. At the least I would get the tire off and take it to a tire shop.

If you can't get the tire to reseat and you do have to take it off, you'll want to lower it back down so that there is weight on the tire to keep it from spinning when you are breaking loose the lug nuts. Of course you'll raise it back up before taking the lug nuts off completely.

One other thing to consider is that it went flat for a reason. So you probably have a puncture, if its not visible and still leaking air. You can use soap in a spray bottle, inflate the tire, spray the tire and look for the bubbles, if its not to bad I'd get a plug kit and plug it, otherwise you might have to get it patched.

This is the type of jack I keep around for the tractors.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/reese-towpowerreg;-farm-jack-54-in

Good luck...

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
My brother and I replaced the rear tires on our L3750 a couple years ago. Just need a stout bottle jack, big wrench, sledge hammer and a couple big crow bars.

That said, the tire shop will do it from now on! :cool:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I have always just used an automotive jack - they can go down very low, yet jack plenty high. In the field I'd go for a couple of thicknesses of plywood under it, and stick a couple of timbers or a jack stand to hold the weight once the wheel is up.
The auto jack has the advantage that you don't have to put your hands or arms under the tractor while jacking.
Also, remember that the tractor weighs less than a full sized pickup. Even with filled tires you are not putting a 2 ton jack to a strain.

Attachments

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Tire Fixed.

After fussing with two Ratchet Strap and cheap compressor for a while, I used the FEL to jack up the tractor and remove the tire. I ended up going to 2 tire shops. The first tire-shop could not get the thick cold rubber to seal to the rim even after they put the tire in front of a heater 20 minutes. The second shop I went to more or less used a 1/4 can of tire sealer around the rim edge to try to get a seal and finally got it. The freezing temperature was the culprit. I was very happy to give the mechanic $20.

I am able to finish the snow plowing job. I will post pictures of the mountains of snow I created later today.

Last edited: