resurfacing flywheel mm reference values

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
A couple of thoughts that I have run into before with these type of clutches in big trucks. 1. Was the clutch assembly in one piece or did you have to stack it up and put it on.
The clutch assembly came in one piece except for the first stage friction plate.

I ran into troubles before with the clutches that have a secondary flywheel in the middle that you can put that piece in backwards because it would fir but actually the ears that held it in place were actually not in the center and if put in wrong the clutch would not release. 2. Could you post some pictures of the flywheel and the pieces of the clutch not bolted in place?
Attached some pics, batteries now dead and no spares, will have to post additional tomorrow if the ones already posted are not sufficient.

Also a picture of the throwout bearing on the forks. Posted It might help to see the individual parts to see what might be going wrong. Clutches, particularly ones with more than one stage can be awfully frustrating particularly if the parts are not marked well. Good ones will have a mark on it saying which side is the flywheel side,
Friction plate that contacts the flywheel will only fit on one way.

but many don't. I am sure the answer is there somewheres but it can be extremely frustrating getting there. The worst thing can sometimes be getting the two clutch disc splines to line up. I have taken this clutch apart and bolted everything back up including the first part of the trans so many times that getting the two clutch disc splines to line up takes me about 2 min now.

I assume you are using a line up tool when you put the clutch on?
I do not have a two stage alignment tool. To align the second stage I center it in the top clutch cover. To align the first stage I use a socket wrapped in tape so it will just fit into the center of the first stage disc and the socket just fits into the center of the flywheel. Using this method I can get the trans slid into place in 2 - 3 min. then bolt up the trans.

Don't give up we will all figure it out sooner or latter.
If I forgot anything please ask again.

Thanks for your help. If you have any more questions, please ask.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Never mind....:eek:
Old # and new #'s clash but all come down to the #'s that you have.;)
Sorry to confuse!:eek:

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Is it a 2WD or 4WD?
Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond to you but I am getting cross eyed from spending so much time on this pc today.

It is a 4WD.

I beleve you could be correct in your diagnosis.

According to Messick's:
Part number 35260-14200 has been superseded by 32425-14200

Part number 35290-14200 has been superseded by 32425-14200

But I get different numbers else wear.

I will have to check further in the morning, I am tooooooo cross eyed to make scene of things tonight.

Thanks again for your help.:)

P.S. Having the wrong thickness disc would make sense. It would push the entire assembly too far up into the clutch cover not allowing the second stage to disengage.

I wonder if when they changed parts if they changed the milling specs for the flywheel also. I have not seen anything to confirm this but will have to check Monday.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Several different suppliers and #'s

But looks like:
4wd #'s
Clutch Assy.
Old clutch Assy.# 35290-14200
New clutch Assy.# 32425-14200

Disk
Old disk # 35290-14400
New disk # 32425-14400

Only thing I can think is that the rear disk is directional as the hub sits off center.
I would imagine that you have tried inserting it either direction.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Several different suppliers and #'s

But looks like:
4wd #'s
Clutch Assy.
Old clutch Assy.# 35290-14200
New clutch Assy.# 32425-14200

Disk
Old disk # 35290-14400
New disk # 32425-14400

Only thing I can think is that the rear disk is directional as the hub sits off center.
I would imagine that you have tried inserting it either direction.
I have tried installing it in both directions, it only fits in one way. If you try to install it backwards the center hub hits the flywheel not allowing the friction disc to touch the flywheel.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok good, I was just checking, sometimes it's the obvious things we miss!:eek:

Need to get a pic / measurements of a stock flywheel to compare the two,
or were you able to get those measurements?

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Ok good, I was just checking, sometimes it's the obvious things we miss!:eek:

Need to get a pic / measurements of a stock flywheel to compare the two,
or were you able to get those measurements?
I was able to get the Kubota factory specs for the flywheel. I had to have the flywheel re-milled to bring it back into specs.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
BAP, here are the pics I promised: Tried to attach a schematic of the clutch but everything that I tried failed. The schematic can be found on the third page under ENGINE not under clutch. It is a L275DT

Attachments

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Well, at least I got this much of the schematic of the clutch to upload.

Attachments

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
In your attached schematic of the clutch, it was item #4 that I was referring to that I have seen be able to be put in backwards and hole the clutch up. We also one time had a clutch that we could never make work and got the parts place to give us another one and it worked fine. We never could figure out what was wrong with the first one. Just about drove us crazy laying on our backs under a ten-wheeler putting a 13speed Road Ranger transmission in and out many times trying to make it work. It could very well be that the clutch is not the right one.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
In your attached schematic of the clutch, it was item #4 that I was referring to that I have seen be able to be put in backwards and hole the clutch up. We also one time had a clutch that we could never make work and got the parts place to give us another one and it worked fine. We never could figure out what was wrong with the first one. Just about drove us crazy laying on our backs under a ten-wheeler putting a 13speed Road Ranger transmission in and out many times trying to make it work. It could very well be that the clutch is not the right one.
Thanks for your response. Part #4 in this clutch assembly is flat on one side to act as a pressure plate, the other side is recessed and has ridges to hold the spring disc in place.

In the forth picture in post #51 you can see the back side of part #4.

The QC on the machining in the parts leaves a lot to be desired. Given the close tolerances needed for the clutch to work I am inclined to believe that this is a bad clutch pack, the second one. In the last set of pics I tried to show some of the material left behind that should have been removed. I cleaned some of it up and in the morning I will try to install it again. If that doesn't work I will have to try and find another source for the assembly. This is the second assembly from the same supplier.

Any other questions, please ask.

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Have you made any progress with your clutch?

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Spent late afternoon and this evening with my two grand sons. Best way to forget about your problems. Just got home to find a new clutch assembly and friction disc sitting on the deck. I will try my luck tomorrow installing them and let you know how it goes.:)

Thanks for your interest.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've got my fingers crossed and I told the pups to cross paws too for you!;)

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Adjusted clutch, bolted it up and bolted up trans. Now first and second stage will not disengage. :mad: Clutch peddle bottoms out and clutch arms start to flex.

Before I take my splitting maul to it, I am just going to leave it sit until tomorrow and the start over with a clean/clear mind one more time.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Adjusted clutch, bolted it up and bolted up trans. Now first and second stage will not disengage. :mad: Clutch peddle bottoms out and clutch arms start to flex.

Before I take my splitting maul to it, I am just going to leave it sit until tomorrow and the start over with a clean/clear mind one more time.

How old are ya? Grandbabies and all........

Sound feisty for an old man. :)