Kubota L2050 Backhoe attachment questions

Pocono boy

Equipment
L2050DT
Feb 26, 2013
Glen Mills,PA, USA
I recently purchased a 1989 L2050 and I am seriously considering purchasing a 3 point backhoe attachment for it. Reading forums I've seen anything from your tractor cracking in half to working great for 15 years. I spoke with my local Kubota dealer, they said they haven't seen too much cracking however they are difficult to take off. I will be digging in the North East aka rocks and tree roots. What is your honest opinion on using a 3 point backhoe with PTO pump without a subframe? If a subframe is really required, where could I purchase one for an old tractor? Also what kind of backhoe attachment would you recommend, Kubota, Woods, Bradco? Or a knock off like a Liberty?

I appreciate any response, thank you! I attached a picture of the tractor to give you an idea of the size and they are fun to look at!

Attachments

Last edited:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
In the old days Woods made the loaders and backhoes for Kubota. They had or have subframes and tractor side mounting brackets for most tractor models. I would contact Woods directly and request a subframe installation manual for your L2050. At that point you can either order the parts or use the manual to see how the subframe fits and then build your own brackets and subframe. The brand of the BH should not matter, buy whatever you find a good deal on. Mine has a PTO pump and I like it a lot.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Not to nitpick and get off topic but I wouldn't trust those ratchet straps to holding that tractor down. The strap up front can get cut way to easily going over top of the angle iron like that and the rear strap hooked to the angle iron above the fender can stretch out and break the angle iron. Get a set of chains and binders if you're going to transport often.

NOW as far as the backhoe goes. I would think that cracking a tractor in half is probably from operator error and getting to rough with the digging. Like the old saying goes "shit happens" so yeah I can see a tractor cracking if the backhoe in a 3pth is misused and abused.

As far as brands go Woods, Bradco, Bush Hog and a few others make a great after market loader. The chances of you finding a hoe used are slim.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I love my Woods BH750 on my Kubota B7100. I had to modify the subframe that came with the backhoe to fit my tractor because the subframe was built for a Yanmar. Mine works great and I would not change to a 3 point mount. My opinion is, my tractor is pretty small and with the hard digging I have done I would be afraid that I might have damaged my tractor without the subframe to distribute the forces of digging. If I was you, if at all possible I would want a subframe mount. I think MagKarl has a good plan about contacting Woods. They used to have the manuals on their web site for download but now you need to email for the older ones.
As far as finding a used backhoe, watch Craigs list. I see quite a few used backhoes for reasonable prices.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Yep, start watching Craig's List for a good deal on an appropriately sized BH. Mine came with a subframe for an unknown tractor, but with the pictures in the Woods subframe manual for my tractor I was able to modify everything I needed to make it work on my tractor. I probably have about $2K into my BH and subframe.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've got a Kubota 3pt BH and it works fine. The one thing I have always watched is not to try and lift both back tires off the ground while digging. Yes, a subframe BH is stronger but a 3pt unit will work fine as long as you use common sense while you're digging. If you are like me and use the tractor for other jobs the simple unhook of a 3pt hoe is nice. I wish you were closer to GA, I'd sell you the one I've got. I bought a trackhoe and no longer need it.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Depending on what your intent is and how much work you see for a backhoe all combined with your mechanical inclinations...

I think based on experience you'd probably do better with a 'real' backhoe than a 3-point hung onto your tractor.

We found it was so bothersome to make the hook-up we tended to leave it on all the time (got in way of brushhogging) or when it was off never pick it up (so much for digging). Either way inefficient and we rarely had the right piece of eqpt ready to go.

If you look around you can turn up old gas engine Case or Ford or Massey or JD (Allmand is another, Terex too) hoes for $5,000 to $10,000. Use it until you're finished with the job and then sell it and get your money back. You'll get a heck of a lot more machine for about the same money as buying a really good 3-pt model. Yeah, it'll drip and smoke but it will probably keep running long after you sell it.

Look at contractor liquidiations and auctions in your area or rental fleet change-outs.

Short of an excavator, a backhoe is the handiest thing on the place.

With patience you can build equity. We went through three, upgraded each one a little bit, used it some, sold it for more than we had in it, and ultimately landed a Kubota industrial frame-mount backhoe at an attractive price. Replaced all the OEM hoses and works like new---plenty of power and capability to meet 90% of our needs and small enough to go places big ones can't or shouldn't. And a LOT less than buying new.

Makes life easier another way: now have partime backhoe operator in spouse that couldn't physically attach the 3-point (heck, I had a hard time by myself) now will hop on the hoe and take off doing one thing while I'm running the other machine.

Keep the forum posted how you proceed and your decision-making process in order others may learn.

1Dragon

Equipment
L2900
Nov 25, 2009
Sunny Central CA.
I have to agree! If you really need a backhoe get the real thing. I bought a three point for my L2900 and all I can say is, it's better than a shovel...

tiddlydink

May 15, 2013
Pablo County Jail
I recently purchased a 1989 L2050 and I am seriously considering purchasing a 3 point backhoe attachment for it. Reading forums I've seen anything from your tractor cracking in half to working great for 15 years. I spoke with my local Kubota dealer, they said they haven't seen too much cracking however they are difficult to take off. I will be digging in the North East aka rocks and tree roots. What is your honest opinion on using a 3 point backhoe with PTO pump without a subframe? If a subframe is really required, where could I purchase one for an old tractor? Also what kind of backhoe attachment would you recommend, Kubota, Woods, Bradco? Or a knock off like a Liberty?

I appreciate any response, thank you! I attached a picture of the tractor to give you an idea of the size and they are fun to look at!

Backhoe? Man, Get a black Hoe. Put her in afro turf and she dig twice as fast.