Stinger for my BX bucket.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I have had a few times that I needed to move objects too heavy for me to pick up, so I decided to build an attachment to slide onto the bucket and give it a couple of feet of reach. Probably would only pick up 200 lbs out that far, and that's fine. Not going to try to pick up an engine or such.
Figured out what I needed and went through the scrap bin, parts bin and metal stock and had everything I needed. 3 hours later after cutting, grinding, welding and painting, this is what I came up with.
First use is going to be setting the 10KW generator into the cage of the genset I'm building using a Yanmar 3TNA72 20 hp diesel out of a 430 L & G tractor like the one I own.
I decided to secure it to the D-ring in the bucket with a turnbuckle, so it'll be easy to remove and securely attached to the bucket.

Attachments

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Very nice work! Should give you good control for light loads, vs. a 3-pt boom.

I use my clamp-on pallet forks in a similar manner.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
The turnbuckle is mainly to hold it in place. It's a 1/2" turnbuckle too, so it's plenty strong. Like I said, it's just for light loads, so it's not an issue.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Don't overdo the weight. That is a material bucket, not an excavation bucket so the cutting edge nor the floor has extra support and will bend easily.

The Kubota HD buckets have plates welded to the bottom running front to back and the sides have welded in gussets plus the top edge is a roll formed piece, not a angle broke piece.

Right color too.:)

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Don't plan on lifting more than 200 lbs.
The generator I built it to lift weighs 130 lbs, too much for my old ass to pick up and not hurt myself anymore.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Don't overdo the weight. That is a material bucket, not an excavation bucket so the cutting edge nor the floor has extra support and will bend easily.

Right color too.:)
If you notice, I have a replaceable 5/8" thick cutting edge bolted to the original cutting edge that is welded on. That makes the bucket very strong in that area.
I really doubt any force the hydraulic system on the 211 FEL can exert could bend it.
Like I stated in the original post, I don't plan on lifting more than 200 lbs with it. I'll dig out the old Yale forklift if I need to do so.

Couldn't paint an accessory for it any other color except Kubota Dark Gray.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Used the stinger to install the generator in the frame this afternoon. Worked like a charm.

Got the engine and generator aligned coaxially and installed the drive coupling. Started it up and it runs true and very smooth. Gotta get a tach to check the RPMs, as it sounds like it might be turning a little more than the proper 3600 RPM.

Attachments

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Used the stinger to install the generator in the frame this afternoon. Worked like a charm.

Got the engine and generator aligned coaxially and installed the drive coupling. Started it up and it runs true and very smooth. Gotta get a tach to check the RPMs, as it sounds like it might be turning a little more than the proper 3600 RPM.
I did not notice any hooks welded to your bucket until the last pic. I use mine allot, probably lift more weight than I should. However, i bought a pair of forks and purchased a bale spear rated pretty stout. Took a piece of 3 inch sched 40 pipe 10ft long to slip over the spear to reach out to do similar as you. Already bent the pipe . Should have welded a flat bar on edge or piece of angle iron on top. Anyway easy to see your utility, nice additition.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
The chains or hawsers I use keep them open. The spring loaded hinges only put only a little pressure on them. No problem with them so far.