Implement Height Stop Thumbscrew Upgrade

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
I found it a bit hard to grip the implement height stop thumbscrew on my new L3301HST tightly enough to crank it down enough to keep the stop from moving when I bump it with the height lever. The thumbscrew is just an ordinary M6 x 1mm pitch thumbscrew, 20mm long. I replaced it with a lever cam screw from McMaster-Carr for around $12.50, making the stop easier to adjust. The part I used is part number 5720K31. There's also an all stainless steel version for around $42, but that's a bit more deluxe than I need. Here are the before and after pictures:

Reactions: 1 user

gsganzer

Mar 5, 2015
Denton, Texas
I've always cussed that little knob on my L3800. It was always difficult to tighten and loosen. Yesterday I took a better look at it and solved my problem by adding a flat washer between the split ring lock washer and the knob. It seems the lock washer was catching on the knobs plastic.

If it doesn't work out well, I'll swap to your fix. Thanks for posting the part numbers.

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
I'm glad that y'all like this so much! I don't know if the thumbscrew size is common across different generations of tractors, so I'd suggest verifying the threads needed before ordering one of these. I had plans to 3D-print something more complicated to replace the whole stop assembly, until I stumbled over the lever cam doohickey and it occurred to me that the thumbscrew probably had a common thread type.

I didn't pay close attention to the dimensions when I ordered, and I was expecting a shorter lever. But it still worked out well. It was a bit fiddly to get the screw adjusted right. It threads into the cam lever with a much finer thread than the M6 x 1mm pitch thread on the bottom. Once it's adjusted just right, it clamps down tightly, slides nicely with just a bit of tension from the original lock washer, and the cam only opens 90 degrees before bumping against the protruding top of the screw. Hopefully that will all make sense once you get one in your hands and play with it a bit.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Great idea. I have been thinking of how to fix mine. I ordered a handle off Ebay last night after reading this idea. Thanks

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya know, when the big "K" reads these posts, and they do or at least someone that works for the big "K" does. One would think the company would take some if not all of these ideas and add them to the machines, I mean krist we pay enough for them to start with, and a couple more pennies cost in the manufacturing end wouldnt kill us. Just MHO you understand.
But maybe they are like HD. Someone comes up with a good idea and posts it, and 2 years later it shows up, and is touted as a wonderful well thought out highly engineered idea from the MoCo. OK Im done bytchin now

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
The thumbscrew/knob isn't that bad of an idea, it's just that the ones used don't allow much grip or leverage to get it good and tight. I have another tractor that just had a bad design (or possibly bad modification by my grandfather) that only had a wing nut, I came up with a better modification and use a knob on it.

I bought one of these last year to use on my Kubota after seeing another user post about doing the same modification:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013IA71L4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
The thumbscrew/knob isn't that bad of an idea, it's just that the ones used don't allow much grip or leverage to get it good and tight. I have another tractor that just had a bad design (or possibly bad modification by my grandfather) that only had a wing nut, I came up with a better modification and use a knob on it.

I bought one of these last year to use on my Kubota after seeing another user post about doing the same modification:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013IA71L4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here are some on eBay....I have one coming.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kipp-04232-...771307?hash=item41c22f906b:g:7RoAAOSwIgNXslUv

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
My handle came yesterday and I put it on. I had to add 2 flat washers under it to get it located correctly but it works good. Now to try it out since the rain stopped

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
I got a question by PM from somebody who ordered a cam lever and wanted to know what tools they'd need to bring when they go to their property where their L2501HST lives. I just took mine off the tractor without any tools so I could remember how it goes together and post a picture.

The screw in my cam lever can be adjusted with either a small flat bladed screwdriver or a T-15 Torx driver. Different cam levers might require a different tool. The original thumb screw can come out without any tools, and the cam lever can also come back out without tools. The driver is just needed to adjust the cam lever screw when (re)installing it.

The back side of the sheet metal plate that it mounts on is accessible without disassembling anything else. No tool should be needed for the piece that the thumbscrew or cam lever screws into.

Attachments

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Great mod...thanks for sharing.

I ordered a KIPP branded one from fleabay...about $18 shipped. Very nice aluminum lever.

Only issue I had was removing the factory thumb screw. Guessing they used a one-time use locknut. First the plastic knob broke, then I broke off the threads in the nut. No visible thread locker or corrosion present. Had to cut off welded nut from backing plate. By sheer luck I had one metric M6 nylon locknut in the parts bin. So what should have been a 5 minute job took 20!

This is a must do mod!

DaveMueller

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST TLB, LA524, BH77, Ford 917L
Apr 16, 2019
Mill Run
I found my lever at the local bicycle shop. It's meant for seat posts. The threaded portion was a little long, but the hacksaw fixed that. It was about $6. I took an M6x1 nut with me to check the thread.