Replaced factory tool box

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Way too big and would block my view to the rear anyway. I take it Kubota uses a plastic tool box now? Both mine are metal boxes with lockable lids.

only tools I ever take along are a jack knife, a pair of vice grips and a Crescent wrench, medium size, plus assorted lynch pins and adapter sleeves. All my implements have their own tool boxes attached to them.

Jim Dandy

Equipment
L245DT W/Loader M8030DT L275DT
Way too big and would block my view to the rear anyway. I take it Kubota uses a plastic tool box now? Both mine are metal boxes with lockable lids.

only tools I ever take along are a jack knife, a pair of vice grips and a Crescent wrench, medium size, plus assorted lynch pins and adapter sleeves. All my implements have their own tool boxes attached to them.
Looks like flip is on is grouchy pills again.

Greybeard

Equipment
L2501,
Apr 26, 2020
Forsyth, Ga
I agree, too hard to find things in an ammo can
The bottom of the can is mostly chain I use for dragging downed trees to my burn pile. Everything else is tucked away in three separate flat leather tool pouches with Velcro flaps so I’m not having to hunt for stuff in the bottom.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I did a similar thing years ago, but used a wider lower box.
IMO factory boxes are way too small. I like to have things like a few fencing tools on board. Saves me trips back to the barn. Good luck.
I replaced my plastic box with a store bought with a lift out tray....once installed discovered it blocked my view when backing up to an implement.
Then with no luck on finding a "wider and lower" box of the ideal dimensions, I went to the sheet metal place that makes air conditioning ducts, and had him make one with the dimensions that work best for me. Just another approach for a custom box at a reasonable price.

LwhiteAH64

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525, LP RCF2060, LP BB1260, Yanmar 220 Diesel w/KK 60 Rotary Cutter
Jul 16, 2018
Dade City, Fl
Great idea. I have a 30mm ammo can that I have been debating to replace the small plastic toolbox. Now off to fidget with the new project!!! :)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I changed the toolbox, moved the SMV placard and mounted a fire extinguisher.

View attachment 49614
I had a fire exinguisher on my old gasoline-tractor for 15 years thinking that’s a good idea. Never needed or used it. Can’t imagine needing one on a diesel... :confused:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I had a fire exinguisher on my old gasoline-tractor for 15 years thinking that’s a good idea. Never needed or used it. Can’t imagine needing one on a diesel... :confused:
I have only needed an extinguisher one time in my life so far and there is no doubt it saved a garage/contents at the time. I have always kept them handy since. I look at it as another form of low cost insurance as well as peace of mind.

On the tractor, aside form some electrical issue or dry stuff on hot exhaust, I don't see having any issues. I am around all kinds of other things though, so it may be handy to help someone else out of a jam.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Ever burn a brush pile? Electrical fires a remote possibility. Combines often catch fire (grain dust). Grain processors have blast walls designed to fail to save building (I know not tractor related).
You can snuff small fires with bucket or piling on dirt. Fire extinguisher last resort before the 911 call.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
My dad was a volunteer fire man for over 50 years. Barns set on fire from a cigarette butt and bad wiring. A hay field set on fire from a bad bearing on the hay baler. Grass fires from all kind of things. "Hot" hay, to green to be bailed, in the barn. Grass set on fire from the car exhaust touching the dry grass. Cutting torches, welders and grinders starting the shop on fire. The pile of oily rags starting the fire.

The best was the guy who used his lighter to see into his gas tank.

Often the extinguisher would often have slowed the fire if not put it out. Rural fires are often not close to the firehouse and any help is good.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
All good comments re: fire ext.

I don’t burn except in a dedicated burn-hole and it’s equipped with a water-hose and outlet. My house is converted from a 1950’s corporate hunting-lodge with all-tongue & groove wood paneling/ceilings, pegged oak floors and cedar tree-trunk porch supports.... so every room has a fire extinguisher. I don’t do hay.
My vehicles all have fire ext’s, but the only time one has been used was when my brother discharged one into the air conditioning ducts because he imagined the fog coming out was smoke.
I asked him if he’d thought about the lack of smell before he grabbed the extinguisher and he just gave me a blank look. Sometimes I worry about him. (I think Daddy must have pulled out early.)
Cost me $900 to have the dealership repair the damage.