B2650 PTO shaft hook up

mpham

Equipment
B 2650 cab
Nov 15, 2016
Massachusetts
Hi:
No matter where I put the lever I can't get the shaft on the tractor to rotate so I can get the teeth to line up. What's the trick? Tried trans in neutral, key on, middle pto only, middle and rear. I even tried with the tractor running. I can't turn the implement so what's the deal? Thanks.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Hi:
No matter where I put the lever I can't get the shaft on the tractor to rotate so I can get the teeth to line up. What's the trick? Tried trans in neutral, key on, middle pto only, middle and rear. I even tried with the tractor running. I can't turn the implement so what's the deal? Thanks.
On mine, if I select "front PTO" only the rear pto stub will rotate close to 1/2 of a revolution. Plenty of movement to match up the splines. Engine off, etc., for safety reasons but technically not needed.

David
Edit: I wasn't thinkin quite correctly: my "front" pto is technically the "MID PTO" only. My bad. But selecting the mid pto only does allow my rear pto stub to rotate almost half a turn...stop to stop.

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The PTO may not be going all the way into neutral. We had trouble on my L2501 with the PTO. The lever was in the off position and the tractor would start but the PTO lever was not moving all the way to the off position down at the transmission case. A little PB Blaster on the shaft coming out of the housing and down the cable to the lever and things loosen up and work correctly again.

mpham

Equipment
B 2650 cab
Nov 15, 2016
Massachusetts
Thanks.
I will check to see if it is off all the way. Mine doesn't move at all no matter which lever I move. It's like a brake is holding it.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
With tractor running you can try the various pto options mid or off (visual inspection only don't get near a rotating pto). When you find what works shut tractor off. If you're hooking up a tiller, raise it to get tines off ground, both sides should rotate. using spray oil in shaft and connect will let parts slide together easier, if you haven't used them in awhile