RTV 900 shifting issues

Jlillie

Equipment
B7300/backhoe-RTV900-G6200H-K008-3 :non orange:Takeuchi TB25
Oct 20, 2009
Williamstown, MA, USA
I have a 2005 RTV 900 and even after the fluid changes, the shifter still hangs up under pressure. (Like if you are on a hill, and want to switch to reverse, it won't let go.)
I know the new units have a manual pressure release on them, is that something that I can add to my machine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsbBJJUfz7c

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hello,
I'm sorry to tell you, the release valve on the new RTV is not easily retrofitted to the older machine. There IS a simple adjustment that will fix your shifting problem though but it is not authorized by Kubota! ( it reduces the dynamic braking that Kubota are so proud of) I won't post directions to do it here (old OB1 would start spewing tort threats at me and other scary things!)but you can pm me. When we are on the subject of RTVs there are some other issues,
Kubota have a new, vastly improved drive shaft for the 2008 and older RTVs I recommend it. If your machine is still on warranty and you complain about shaft vibration Kubota will replace it. Not on warranty? SOL
The rear wheel hub nut (the one in the middle) Has a new torque spec, should be increased to 140 ftlbs . We have had some failures here.
The front end should have stops installed to limit turning angle, This was done from the factory in 2007. In certain conditions on the ones without the stops, the wheels can be turned so far that they pop off the CV joints ruining them. The stops are available from Kubota but at your expense!
Check the nuts on the front lower ball joints I have found way to many of them loose! ( I mean not even finger tight!
Make sure when the throttle pedal is pushed right down that the arm on the side of the transmission comes against the stop and the cable to the throttle lever on the engine just comes to full throttle. I install the clevis on the outside hole of the two provided at the engine throttle lever. There is another small mod I make here which also isn't authorized by Kubota.
Ed

Reactions: 1 user

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Further to the RTV shifting problem the new 2009 rtv is changed again! The most important thing they have done, and it is retrofitable to the older machines, is the reverse high pressure relief valve. They have reduced the pressure setting on it which you can do on yours but even better they now have a small orifice in it to bleed off the trapped pressure between the forward and reverse. this trapped pressure is effectively locking your transmission and preventing you from shifting if you are on any incline.(it's like trying to shift a transmission with the engine stopped and without declutching) You CAN adjust your reverse high pressure relief, it will make your problem 75% less and it will reduce the dynamic braking so you won't hit the windshield every time you let up on the accelerator (your dog will love you for it!) But I recommend that you get the new relief valve which is already adjusted AND has the orifice. It will still not be quite as good as the new ones because they have another release valve activated by the brake pedal but it will be quite good. If you replace the relief valve I recommend that you remove the damper on the accelerator linkage. with the reduced dynamic braking you now want that pedal to come up right away!
Hope this helps. The relief valve is very easy to replace and or adjust, almost anyone should be able to do it!
Ed

Reactions: 1 user

pinksquirrel

Equipment
900 utv
May 17, 2020
Diamond ohio.
i have a 900 utv 2011 pulling loads it does notwant to come out of gear, someone told me there is any easy fix but I just can't find it. does any one know the exact part?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
i have a 900 utv 2011 pulling loads it does notwant to come out of gear, someone told me there is any easy fix but I just can't find it. does any one know the exact part?
I assume you have a Kubota RTV 900, but what is the full model number, there are a dozen variations.