Diesel Fuel storage tank

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
I currently have a very old 200 gallon+(unknown) diesel fuel tank that I am looking to replace with a 100 to 110 gallon diesel fuel storage tank. I want one that is portable (the one I have is not portable, is very heavy, double walled, and well made). I also want a hand pump as I do not wish to connect to a battery in the middle of a snow storm.

Any good recommendations?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
TSC has tanks, or Northern Tool.

I'd recommend a Fill-rite pump. I prefer the push/pull type to the rotary but that just a personal preference. Either will work and even though they're more expensive it worth the money in the long run.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Just a thought since there was just another thread about the B2650 fuel usage, but how many hours a year do you put on that tractor? Other poster claimed a little over .5 gph with the tractor. So just less then 200 hrs a year with 100 gallons, how long will that fuel be sitting? I use mine about 75-100 hrs a year and never monitor fuel usage but I cant imagine I burn 100 gallons a year.

joearizona

Equipment
B2650 W/LA534 Loader & BB1260 Box Scraper, 48" Pallet forks, 72" Rake
Apr 24, 2019
Hidden Valley, Arizona
I use a 55 gal drum w/ a harbor freight 12 VDC pump and a gauge from northern tool so I know how much fuel is in the tank. I have a battery always on charge to run the pump.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I would look at Craigslist and such if here. Often can find a used outfit. I am in process of preparing about a 40 gallon hyd tank for a portable gas tank for mowers.

Fuel tank for a big truck may work well also.

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
Just a thought since there was just another thread about the B2650 fuel usage, but how many hours a year do you put on that tractor? Other poster claimed a little over .5 gph with the tractor. So just less then 200 hrs a year with 100 gallons, how long will that fuel be sitting? I use mine about 75-100 hrs a year and never monitor fuel usage but I cant imagine I burn 100 gallons a year.
I purchased my B2650 in December. Since then I have put 75 hours on the machine. I mow a lot of acreage in the summer, will take care of leaves in the fall, and plow/snow blow in the winter. I'm seeding lawns, etc with the machine.

I have a zero turn mower, but love the AC in the cab and love not breathing dust!

It is worth it for me to have a fuel tank on my property, especially in the winter.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Maybe consider 2 - 55 G drums ? You haven't said HOW you're going to refill, but a 2 drum system, allows you to haul one to gas station, fill up and NOT be out of fuel or waste time getting fuel.....
I'm assuming you have a loader to move the 500#+- drums around ? As long as drums are off the ground,say on concrete blocks, they'll last a long time.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
You are only allowed to transport like 104 gallons max on the highway without all the hazmat stuff.
Big fines if you are caught.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You are only allowed to transport like 104 gallons max on the highway without all the hazmat stuff.
Big fines if you are caught.
Dont know about NM but ... straight from the State of Texas Comptrollers website: Persons transporting their own fuel in their own cargo tanks for their own use and not for resale are not required to obtain a motor fuel transporter license.

From the D.O.T.:
If you are transporting Diesel or Kerosene, or Jet A fuels you do not need a USDOT 406 Code system. Diesel fuel does not require a Specification Package.

If you are an INDIVIDUAL transporting Gasoline or ANY fuel for Personal Private Use you do not need a DOT406 System. The USDOT does NOT regulate individuals, only commerce or commercial applications. This IS NOT limited to 110 gallons as believed. Under these regulations you can transport any quantity you want.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You are good to go if there is less then 119 gallons of fuel.

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/fueltran/training/genawaretrng.pdf

All but 1 of the transfer tanks at Northern Tool are less then 119 gallons for a reason.

There might be an exception for ag in some states but it is federal regs for everyone else.
If you read that link it is a TRAINING program for EMPLOYEES of companies that transport fuels for various purposes. It does not apply to INDIVIDUALS.
NTs tanks are designed to accomodate ALL users, even those commercial operations.

From https://dieselgastrailer.com/faqs/
The following entities are exempt from all HazMat regulations with regards to transporting fuels of ALL KINDS. If you are one of these entities the USDOT DOES NOT enforce DOT 406 standards for you.

All Federal Government agencies
All Municipalities
All Indian Reservations
Academic Institutions
Agricultural applications
Private individuals
As cited in The Code of Federal Regulations, CFR49 171.1 Section D # 6.

This can be reviewed in context and in depth at http://phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/regs or you can follow this link to locate your states USDOT Enforcement Division ask them to review this site information and confirm the accuracy of the information http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/mission/field-offices

Last edited:

eliot3b4

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Nov 7, 2019
Eliot, Maine
Maybe consider 2 - 55 G drums ? You haven't said HOW you're going to refill, but a 2 drum system, allows you to haul one to gas station, fill up and NOT be out of fuel or waste time getting fuel.....
I'm assuming you have a loader to move the 500#+- drums around ? As long as drums are off the ground,say on concrete blocks, they'll last a long time.
My oil/propane dealer fills my diesel fuel tank. I don't own a pickup truck and do not want to go to the gas station to fill up 5 gallon cans al l of the time. I do that with gasoline for the z turn mower and it is a pain in the neck.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, how about a 'home heating oil' tank ? That's kinda diesel oil isn't it ?? I've seen 5 year old HHO tanks listed for free as homeowner upgraded to natgas.
I used a 1/2 tank ( 100G ?) here as a portable watering can for a garden for years...
Nice that the delivery guy can fill it for you !! I don't go through much ( BX23S and forklift) so maybe 5 G every 2 months.
Whatever tank you get, be sure to add a fuelfilter on it. Maybe angle it back so any water collects away from spigot.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I'm pretty pleased with my 30gal Arksen tank I have. For me, 30 gal gets me through a year. Easy fill as well, you just put the nozzle from the tank in the transfer can and run the pump in reverse to suck it in to the storage tank. It is on wheels so I could put it on my trailer or back of a truck but for me it is easier to just toss the transfer cans in the back of my truck and grab 10gal of diesel when I stop to fill up my truck. I like not having to hoist up those 5gal cans and deal with the no spill valves and making a general mess. Floor space bonus as well. This 30gal tank takes less space than 2 of the 5gal cans on the floor. I now have the empty transfer cans on a shelf above the Arksen out of the way. Future mods will be an inline fuel filter on the pump and changing out the hand crank for an electric pump.

I thought about using an old fuel oil tank or setting up an outside gravity tank but I don't burn enough to warrant one.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When I have fuel delivered the min. is 250 gallons, or there is a $30 trip charge. Buying bulk fuel is like playing the stock market. The company changes their price every morning based on oil futures (I think).

I checked on premium gasoline, lower 90's octane no ethanol was $2.00 that day.

DVR

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5400, L3560LE, L3301. KX033-4
May 8, 2020
Columbia, SC
I have a 100gal tank I bought from northern tool with the rotary hand crank. Plenty quick enough and simple.
I keep it on a pallet. When it's time to fill, I use my pallet forks, load it on a utility trailer, drive to town, bring back and unload.
It has worked out well... so far

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
OK, how about a 'home heating oil' tank ? That's kinda diesel oil isn't it ?? I've seen 5 year old HHO tanks listed for free as homeowner upgraded to natgas.
I used a 1/2 tank ( 100G ?) here as a portable watering can for a garden for years...
Nice that the delivery guy can fill it for you !! I don't go through much ( BX23S and forklift) so maybe 5 G every 2 months.
Whatever tank you get, be sure to add a fuelfilter on it. Maybe angle it back so any water collects away from spigot.

I have two, both bought cheap. One was nearly new, but lower propane prices made it obsolete. I don't use them for my tractor though, but for for my airplane, which prefers mogas, which I haul from town a couple times a year. In 30 years, using a quality filtration system , no issues whatsoever. Makes me think it'd work for my tractor OK! I use a 55 gallon drum for the L3301, off road diesel so lots cheaper/

Terrain Twister

Equipment
B2650, RTV-X1100C
Nov 17, 2018
Heron, MT
I recently did a home heating oil tank (275 gallon). Around here that's Red Diesel. Bought a used one with a homemade stand that keeps it roughly 3' off the ground. Since it had two lower bungs (one on the bottom and one on the lower side bottom), I just gravity feed into the RTV and gravity feed into a 5 gallon can to refill the tractor. I used the side bottom bung for that. If I feel it has gotten any water in it, I can open the bottom bung and dump a little in a pail to check. The top has a manual vent on it, the fill and a gauge.