Anyone ever mount a swivel or reversable light?

tawood

Equipment
L2501
Apr 18, 2020
Lapeer, MI
Hi all,
I've been wanting to put reverse lights, with a switch, on my ROPS, so I can see when plowing snow with the 3pt at night (for next season, obviously). Thing is, I live in flat country, and keep my tractor in a garage with a low overhead door, which requires the ROPS to be down. So I normally keep it down 24/7, and only raise it when I'm doing some ditch work where there is a tipping hazard, or when running the post hole digger as the digger handle hits the ROPS when folded. Every time I raise the ROPS, there is a hazard that I will forget, and take the top of my garage door frame out (After 25 years of owning tractors kept in a garage, ask me how I know!).
I'd like to mount a couple of LED lights to the underside of the ROPS that I could have point towards the back when the ROPS is folded, then swivel towards the back when the ROPS is up.
Anyone ever try this? I'm looking at a few lights that look like they would work, and my only concern would be that they might "loosen up" over time and get "floppy", if that makes sense.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you could 'gut' a 'security camera' that has PTZ( Pan, Tilt, Zoom) and add high powered LEDs... thne your smartphone can control it AND see as well...
$50 and some time/effort......

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
See dealer for rollbar brackets or make your own. Used extruded aluminum cut on miter saw and carbide tooth blade. Used cork with double sided carpet tape on painted surfaces. Switch box using strong magnets for mounting.

Attachments

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Tawood-

I just did this on mine a few months ago using magnets. You can swivel them, turn/reposition as needed.

Here's what I used...pretty easy to do, and the lights are quite bright.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JKWCVTX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The magnets are solid and will not dislodge when running over bumpy terrain.

Here are the lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZ9VAOI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and light kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZPX32N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

183King

Equipment
Bx1500 w/ FEL, MMM and PTO Bagger
Jan 5, 2016
MA, USA
See dealer for rollbar brackets or make your own. Used extruded aluminum cut on miter saw and carbide tooth blade. Used cork with double sided carpet tape on painted surfaces. Switch box using strong magnets for mounting.

I’m getting ready to do ROPS lights as well and have been looking for ideas. I like the magnets cool idea and if you add enough wire you may be able to move them somewhere you don’t expect to use them now. The extruded aluminum isn’t clean looking. It looks wonky at best, and don’t start with the drilling the ROPS hurts the integrity. Drilling a couple of 1/8” holes isn’t going to change the overall integrity and the rust factor is a joke. You could lay those out in your front yard in Minnesota and they would take your lifetime to rust from the inside out or outside in. What I would like to see is more pics of where people mounted their switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Why not consider another place to mount them? I did ROPS mounted lights on a couple tractors and they weren't satisfactory. They attracted bugs in the warm weather (close to your head), and caused glare in my glasses.

My Ford has a rear-facing light at about seat height and it works fine. The forward-facing lights are on the fenders. These work well. One of the past Kubotae had the auxiliary fronts on "L" brackets added to the frame of the loader.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Id permanently mount a light bar on both sides of the ROPS, I have no desire to have to constantly reposition lights on my machines.

Ive never had luck with magnets, having a heavy light fall while driving sucks. If you fold your ROPS back and drive around you will discover your Magnetic light is missing one day. Magnets also attract metallic debris and end up scratching the paint.

Last edited:

tawood

Equipment
L2501
Apr 18, 2020
Lapeer, MI
Hmm, I never thought of magnets...although seems like vibration would cause them to turn or reposition themselves.

I found a kit that would attach a light to the outside of the ROPS, and it states that it can swivel after loosening the mounting bolt. I think I'm going to try this, as I would only be turning the light a couple of times a year.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Even with a 95# pull magnet, the HP of your tractor will scrape them off by shrubbery or tree branches. Place them on the inside of the frame. You can easily move them for stationary work or work in open areas.

BManFX4

Equipment
BX2380, RCK60B, LandPride RTA1250, CountyLine RC5, Titan BX42S Chipper
Apr 14, 2020
Loudon, TN
I found that seat level lights work well for my reverse lighting. Since my ROPS has holes in it from the factory I mounted the lights where you see them here. I bought two sets of these lights on Amazon. One set is a flood pattern, the other set is a spot pattern. I mounted one of each type on the ROPS and the combination really provides a nice balance of lighting around the whole rear. The only downside is I have to remove the slow vehicle emblem because it partially blocks one of the lights.

For forward lighting I used a more aggressive approach - it's a 12" LED lightbar. I drilled and tapped the ROPS for two 1/4"-28 bolts to mount it, used some blue Loctite and it has stayed in place perfectly.

Because I use my BX in the woods for preparing deer plots I was concerned about exposed wiring. I routed my power wiring within the ROPS as much as possible, wrapping it in corrugated loom, wrapped in TESA tape at the flex joint in the ROPS. So far it has proven durable.

I found these power switches at Advance Auto Parts. They are wired so they are blue when the tractor is running and they turn orange when the lights are on.

Attachments

BManFX4

Equipment
BX2380, RCK60B, LandPride RTA1250, CountyLine RC5, Titan BX42S Chipper
Apr 14, 2020
Loudon, TN
Here's where I routed the power into the ROPS, using a factory hole.

Here's what the light switches look like when the lights are energized.

Sorry about the dirty / wet tractor. I finished bush hogging the back property last night and am going to wash it later today, after it warms up a bit. 35 F here this morning.

Attachments

Mechanical Type

Equipment
Mx5200 8' scrape, 7'Box, 6' hog, Grapple, forks
May 17, 2020
Country Living
I simply mounted two lights facing forward and one light looking down at the three point. They are all controlled by one switch. The U bolts and u bolt brackets are available at McMaster Carr for very little. I would post a picture if I could find out where my "gallery" is located on the forum user CP.

Nevermind, it's way too much work to reduce the picture size to 150kb max size allowed.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I think you should rig a parallelogram so the lights automatically maintain position as the ROPS is folded. :D

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Here is my setup. To bad that I am trading it in towards a LX2610, (already got quote for tradein(owner really liked the lights or I would remove them)reordered the LED's from amazon which are tilt-able with an allen bolt. Also shows where I mounted the switches(weather proof enclosure and switches) and all wires soldered and installed in plastic wire loom.
20200628_214709[1].jpg
20200628_214717[1].jpg
20200628_214728[1].jpg
20200628_214728[1].jpg

Reactions: 1 user

ThomasH

Equipment
LX2610HSDC BH77
May 26, 2020
Cheney, WA
While not cheap, Artillian makes a swivel light that appears to do exactly what you are asking.