B3200 Can I use Chains on my Front Tires.

kmichaelis

Equipment
B3200
Jan 16, 2020
Kettle Falls
I have a B3200 with Titan Tires 23X8.50-14 in the front. I've ordered some chains for the front but it looks like there is little to no space between the tires and the front wheel attachment assembly/tie rod. Can these front tires be reversed and would that solve the spacing issue?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
There is many different opinions on this subject. Some say yep others say no way, others say sometimes. All have good points and some not so good points. I really dont know I have run chains on all 4's on the jeep , on the tractor no. I can see that maybe there may be an issue with the steering linkage getting twisted or bent if you turned maybe hard or something,, But I for one really don't know

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have a B3200 with Titan Tires 23X8.50-14 in the front. I've ordered some chains for the front but it looks like there is little to no space between the tires and the front wheel attachment assembly/tie rod. Can these front tires be reversed and would that solve the spacing issue?
Use wheel spacers to push the rim out. Do not reverse the rims on the hub.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First I'll caution you that any offset to the front wheels puts a huge strain on the axles, and too much and they will fail, especially with loader work.

Looking at the rims I don't think you will gain anything by flipping them, they look to be center set, but you could try.

I don't normally recommend using spacers on the front but 1" to 1 1/2" spacers should give you enough clearance for chains if the rim flipping doesn't work.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have chains on the front tires of my B2650, and they don't seem to be close to the tie rods etc. Why don't you wait until your chains come and install them, it might be a non issue?

Attachments

Last edited:

kmichaelis

Equipment
B3200
Jan 16, 2020
Kettle Falls
Thanks for all the advice. I did try to mount the chains but there is in fact, no clearance. Appreciate all the advice, I'll just keep the rear chains and return the fronts!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
You should be able to mod the chains to fit your tires properly. All you need is a metal chisel, a 5 lb sledgehammer, some vice grips and bolt cutters. Look online for tire chain modification videos from the tire chain suppliers.

Get or make a good set of spiders to keep the chains tight to the outside. Dont leave the chains loose, especially on the fronts.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
When plowing with my M9, I only run chains in the front tires, not the rear. I do that to mitigate plow steer. My M9 is heavy enough with the plow on that it really don't need more snow traction. I have R1's btw.

Attachments

MINICUP28

Equipment
B7610, KX-018, RTV-500, JD X758
Feb 21, 2019
COBLESKILL, NY
First I'll caution you that any offset to the front wheels puts a huge strain on the axles, and too much and they will fail, especially with loader work.

Looking at the rims I don't think you will gain anything by flipping them, they look to be center set, but you could try.

I don't normally recommend using spacers on the front but 1" to 1 1/2" spacers should give you enough clearance for chains if the rim flipping doesn't work.
Another caution to using front wheels spacers: too much offset can cause the front tires to hit the loader support frame at full lock. At least on the B7610.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Watch for good shape car/truck tire chains at garage sales. I lucked onto a couple of nice sets that had the "V" cross bar in the links. With very little modification (hacksaw and wire feed welder) I made a set to fit the front wheels on my older JD750 MFWD compact tractor. They made for a very low profile set of chains and those "V" cross bars really grabbed on ice and hard packed snow. What a difference they make if you run a blade on the front end of your tractor to push snow!! Just don't spin the wheels on your concrete or asphalt drive! :D

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
I am assuming you need chains because of ice?

Weight is king, add ballast. I added weight on my 3 point hitch by mounting my rear blade with a weight box mounted to it. It contains 30 retaining wall bricks that weigh 22.5 lbs each and including the blade weight I’m close to 1k lbs.
Then I grooved my R4 industrial tires. I was skeptical at first but after grooving I intentionally tried to get the mule stuck in snow and ice, off road and downhill and was unable to get it stuck.

I was considering chains but had a clearance issue with rear tires and cab supports and was concerned with concrete damage.

Attachments

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
Its quite possible the owners manual doesn't suggest chains on the front 1 for clearance issues and 2 for driveline longevity. The front drive shaft splines are really small and stripping the couplers is a possibility. They strip on their own in time and usually I'll replace both couplers, roll pins and the mid shaft. Also the durability of the FEL comes into question with a heavy side push that comes with a snow plow, its not well designed to take a huge amount of side loading.

If you can get chains to fit with wheel spacers or flipping the wheels side to side just avoid going full send if you're using a plow and mind how fast you let anything spin without forward movement.