Help me pick tires for new tractor

tawood

Equipment
L2501
Apr 18, 2020
Lapeer, MI
18 months ago i agonized over the same dilemma on my MX 5200. Went with R4s. They were bad in deep snow and horrible in mud or fieldwork. Last november i ordered the ag tires, sold the R4s and have enjoyed good traction ever since. Unfortunately i lost a $1000 in the process. Get the ag tires and dont look back.
Brian, I'm going through right now what you did. I got talked into R4s, and its been a huge mistake. I've always had R1s and traction was never a problem. Mowing the yard wasn't a problem either, and I never saw the marks that supposedly the R4s would eliminate. Now, with the R4s, I have no traction, and....MARKS IN THE YARD! I can't tell you how much I hate R4s! I personally think R4s are the biggest scam to tractor owners ever perpetuated.
I've contacted a few guys selling L tractors with R1s, hoping they would trade me for my nearly-new R4s, but so far no luck. Guess I'm gonna have to drop $1000 like you did.

edisonck

Equipment
MX5800, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, DH2596 Disc Harrow, Ford 860, Ford 3-bottom plow
Mar 9, 2020
Chaska, MN
tawood,

I got my new R1's on my tractor last weekend and love them- no comparison to my R4's for how I use my tractor. It was an expensive lesson, but I am glad I 'bit the bullet' now.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just to follow up, I hope to pick up my tractor this week. I went with the R1 Ag tires. I will try to provide an update on how I like them.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Wise decision.

I have a set of turf tires that have been in my shed for over a decade, after switching to R1s on the smaller tractor. And the R4s on my compact B2910 have never worked well except in very dry conditions or on flat areas.

Well, I should say the R4s did work well initially in one way, causing me to wet my pants before I realized how little traction they offered on a wet grassy slope...:eek: