L3650 GST shifter gets in a bind

04trx

Mar 4, 2017
Grandy,NC,USA
I have a L3650 GST with the front loader and the tranny has started to get in a bind when trying to put the shifter in forward gear. When the tractor is OFF the shifter and tranny works perfect. I can move the shifter from forward to reverse all day with no problems while the tractor is off. Once I start the tractor it goes in reverse everytime, however when you try to put it in forward the shifter and tranny seems to get in a bind. It takes about 7-8 tries using the clutch and moving the shifter lever from reverse to forward before it will go into the forward gear.I have changed the fuilds and filters and that didn't fix my problem.All thoughts are helpful,thanks.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Clutch dragging. Check your adjustment. Should be 1/2" to 1" inch free play in clutch pedal.
If clutch has been overheated it could be warped or damaged from hard pulling.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First: I don't think you mean its a main gear shifter problem, main gear shifter on a GST only controls N&1-8.
Now the shuttle shifter controls forward and reverse.
It also does not care about the Mechanical clutch, in fact you don't even need to engage or disengage the mechanical clutch to shift gears or to shuttle from forward to reverse.
Start with some simple trouble shooting:
With the tractor running and without ever touching the clutch pedal, and with the shifter in N try to move the shuttle to forward then back to neutral then back to reverse, does it move from forward to neutral to reverse fluidly?
If it does not, move the shifter to 1 and try again, again with engine running and without touching the clutch pedal, move the shuttle to forward then back to neutral then back to reverse. how does that react?

If it binds start with the mechanical aspect of the system, remove covers and look at the linkage and look for worn, broken or binding parts.

If the external is good then you'll be looking at the internal syncros.

If you don't have the WSM (AKA Service manual), send me a PM and I'll give you a link to download it. ;)

Attachments

04trx

Mar 4, 2017
Grandy,NC,USA
I started the tractor and put the shuttle shift in N and work the lever forward to reverse everything works great. As soon as I put the GST in 1st gear, the tractor went in reverse without a problem.When trying to push the lever to forward the tranny got in a bind. All linkages are in good shape.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have a syncro that is worn or broken.

Did this condition start all of the sudden, or was it getting harder and harder as time went on?

How many hours are on the unit?

Last edited: