L245DT PTO Class?

One Among The Fence

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 21, 2019
Greeley, CO
I apologize if this isn't the place to be posting this but I was wondering what the PTO driveline class is on my I believe its a 1983 L245DT. Ive been looking at getting a bush hog BH4 or something equivalent but don't know if the PTO Drive splines will match it. Ive seen some companies state its a Class 1 3-pt hitch and Class 3 PTO Driveline, I know I have a Class 1 hitch and that's it.

Thanks

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Haven't heard of class 3 PTO before. You have a standard 540 PTO spline. It has 3 speeds; you will need to run in first.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Yep, it will work. It's the standard PTO, unless you are trying to use the spline off the front of you engine, jk

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
If you don't have an internal over running clutch it would be a good idea to get an external one.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Comer is a world wide manufacturer of PTO stuff.

I have attached a chart from their catalogue showing the different "classes" of pto shafts.

To know what you should use you need to know the rpm of your pto, the Horse Power and Torque.

A pto shaft for a 30 horsepower tractor, although it would fit the pto splines of a much larger tractor, could not transmit the power coming out of the larger tractor hence the need for the "class" rating system.

The green arrow marks the "class" column.

Dave

Attachments

One Among The Fence

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 21, 2019
Greeley, CO
Comer is a world wide manufacturer of PTO stuff.

I have attached a chart from their catalogue showing the different "classes" of pto shafts.

To know what you should use you need to know the rpm of your pto, the Horse Power and Torque.

A pto shaft for a 30 horsepower tractor, although it would fit the pto splines of a much larger tractor, could not transmit the power coming out of the larger tractor hence the need for the "class" rating system.

The green arrow marks the "class" column.

Dave
That is an awesome chart!! Thanks for that!

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Sorry for being dumb but what kind of clutch is that?
The name is a bit misleading. It's actually a ratchet for your PTO. When the PTO runs off of the countershaft on your transmission, the PTO is linked to the wheels. So when you run an implement that has a lot of rotating mass, and you want to stop the tractor, you step on the clutch, but the rotational momentum from your brush hog keeps pushing the tractor if you don't have the overrunning clutch. To tell if you have one, put the PTO in gear with the engine off. If you have an overrunning clutch, you should still be able to turn the PTO clockwise, but not counterclockwise.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-adapter-male-spline-1-3-8-in-x-6-27114899--1

One Among The Fence

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 21, 2019
Greeley, CO
The name is a bit misleading. It's actually a ratchet for your PTO. When the PTO runs off of the countershaft on your transmission, the PTO is linked to the wheels. So when you run an implement that has a lot of rotating mass, and you want to stop the tractor, you step on the clutch, but the rotational momentum from your brush hog keeps pushing the tractor if you don't have the overrunning clutch. To tell if you have one, put the PTO in gear with the engine off. If you have an overrunning clutch, you should still be able to turn the PTO clockwise, but not counterclockwise.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-adapter-male-spline-1-3-8-in-x-6-27114899--1

Thanks for the info! Next time I’m off I’ll have to check it out