Mice

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Well, to give an update, no new mice problems. Raising the hood appears to have taken care of their desire to build nest in the engine. I place Grandpa's Gus Mice Repellent in the cab and not had a nest in there.

The other thing we have done, we worked on cleaning up the barn and eliminating a lot of hiding spots for them and getting rid of lots of nest. Now that the barn is more open, lot less places for them to setup shop.

Reactions: 1 users

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Well, to give an update, no new mice problems. Raising the hood appears to have taken care of their desire to build nest in the engine. I place Grandpa's Gus Mice Repellent in the cab and not had a nest in there.

The other thing we have done, we worked on cleaning up the barn and eliminating a lot of hiding spots for them and getting rid of lots of nest. Now that the barn is more open, lot less places for them to setup shop.
What is Grandpa's Gus

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I always had a problem with mice entering my separate garage, they always chewed through the corners of the garage door sweeps and bottom weather seal. And once they had free access to get in and out they had any number of places to nest, including inside the cowl behind the instruments of a tractor that always had its hood raised.
The garage door is the only place they could get through, it's well sealed otherwise. Two years ago I came across these two products: a steel mesh reinforced bottom seal and self adhering, thin metal strips that fit to the door's flexible side sweeps. Since installing them I've had 0 mice. It's odd that the door is opened enough during use that you'd think mice would just scurry in when it was up? But they seem to like having their own way to get in and out to forage for water and food and blocking those two places finally put a stop to my problem.

Reactions: 1 user

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I wonder if that Grandpa stuff would work in my tool box drawers they seem to like to nest in there too. I'll have to try that out when I get that stuff. :)

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Just ordered I have a lot of equipment with cabs and mice are aways a problem in the winter time. Thanks I hope it works.
Well, it has worked for me. The ladies in the office were the ones who got me looking at the product, they use it in their cabinets in their garages. I have used it since the end of 2019 and has worked thus far. I place a new pack in the tractor about every other month.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Poison will certainly get them but then what happens when a dog eats a poisoned rodent?
Nothing. Tomcat bait is warfarin and doesn’t pass on to other predators. You’re thinking about strychnine which does poison predators. Strychnine requires a license to buy. I use Tomcat bait stations everywhere on my property and especially in my barn.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
There are lots of field mice in the area. Also, the new yard was filled with moles. We acquired a couple of kittens and made them a warm place in the barn. We feed them regularly. They hunt mice and moles for recreation. They will bring in 2-3 every day.
There were a couple of mice that made it into the basement. I put out a Victor trap and caught them with no problem.
Occasionally, the cats will catch a careless bird, but all in all, they earn their keep.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If dad moves to the farm, that will be one option that we install and the poison will go by the wayside.
I can’t keep cats. Owls and coyotes get them.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Well, it has worked for me. The ladies in the office were the ones who got me looking at the product, they use it in their cabinets in their garages. I have used it since the end of 2019 and has worked thus far. I place a new pack in the tractor about every other month.
Got the 10 packs of Grandpa's stuff today and I kinda like the smell it's really strong I hope it works but if not it doubles as a air freshener :)

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Well, I really hate them!! I have a number of storage areas and the mice & I go back and forth on who has the upper hand. I may have to try some of that stuff, but it is pretty pricey? They have not ever messed with my old tractor.

Any chance the wiring coatings on these Kubota's is natural-based and I should be extra careful - like some ford and dodges were?

I mess around with classic cars and this is always an issue. Many use dryer sheets, Irish spring or other home remedies. I use the tomcat bait stations extensively in the basement, garage, detached garage, and tractor shed and still occasionally have issues and resort to the regular traps etc.

FWIW Those suckers ate the vinyl on a convertible top and the wires on my splitter among other things. I keep feed in metal containers (but can't fault them for going after that though...) :p

Last edited:

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
I’ve had my tractor almost 3 years. Kept in a 3-sided pole barn with a SxS and ATV so open to critters. Based on other’s advise here I leave the hood up. Before I leave (only there on weekends) I spray all wheels, engine areas and visible wiring with Febreeze Lavender. Supposedly, rodents do not like the smell of lavender I can’t swear to it but I have never had issues.

I must have trace amounts of mouse/rat DNA in my system. My wife and kids love the smell. I hold my breath and can’t get out the barn fast enough after spraying - I can’t stand the smell. :sick:

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Glue traps have been my go to for Rodents. They will actually leave limbs on the things and you never see a live 3 legged rodent! Also, rodents always follow a wall or structure before they will dare cross an open area. So perhaps keeping the Tractor in a wide open location and away from the walls will help. Had a pest control guy show me all the routes my rats were taking - it’s how we figured out their ingress.

I hate killing field mice - cute little beggars but if they make it inside anywhere I kill ‘em like the rest.

CAN someone confirm- our wiring coating does not appear to be Soy based? Had personal experience when Dodge gave it a go on my Challenger. They ate the wires on my steering rack and I could only drive thing in a straight line! Knowing we don’t have soy based coating would be a nice thing to know.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That youtube video linked above is “private” and not viewable.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Peppermint oil seems to work pretty good here. Mix with water and spray.

a farmer buddy of mine made one of the traps with a 5 gallon bucket. You can find them on Youtube. The top of the bucket rotates on a dowel. He made a ramp, put peanut butter on the rotating top, the mice go up, step off the ramp onto the top, the top rotates and they fall in the bucket and can’t climb out. It worked in his barn.

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
I know this will get some disagreement but our 1932 AC model M only gets used once a year. Critters love to build in the engine area. We put some diesel in a water bottle, squeeze the contents on the areas they build nests in, Seems to keep them from coming back for a year. The fuel evaporates and must leave enough residue behind to annoy them.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Poison blocks, glue traps and regular traps work well! There is nothing cute about critters that get into your equipment. They can really do some damage.

Reactions: 2 users