DIY Ditch Mower

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
Started as an idea, being a cheap skate I knew I could build something cheaper and better than the machine DR makes. Raided the scrap pile at work (hence angle iron frame), a trip to Agri Supply, and Rural King.... and this is what you get. Have to upload a video of it running, works quite well, 16HP motor and a 28” blade make quick work of 3/4” brush and y’all grass/weeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I need something like that. Wondering why you didn't run it off the PTO?

Nice looking log home, did you build it yourself? My wife and I built yours early in the 1990's.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you use the PTO you need to add a $$$ gearbox, say 1:5 to increase the 540 PTO to 'blade speed'(whatever that is for size of blade)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nice! Folks who think outside the box are a special breed, and there is no telling what they may come up with.

I get the idea, looking at that truck, working with this kind of project is something you enjoy, or at least good at.

Now, have the engine on a platform that can swivel on the plate it is mounted on. Then when you hit something too big the whole arm can swing back.

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
the engine and boom are mounted on a free swinging pivot with a 12 volt winch to lift it and or float over large debris, that pivot is mounted to a swinging plate with a plastic shear bolt, of something is hit it can swing back out the way. engine and belt drive are all on the same plane, fuel tank, battery and wiring junction box for remote are on the 3pt frame with coiled electrical and fuel line to facilitate movement.

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
I need something like that. Wondering why you didn't run it off the PTO?

Nice looking log home, did you build it yourself? My wife and I built yours early in the 1990's.

thank you, built it 2 years ago, all the wood for exterior and interior where harvested on my property.

went with the small engine for 2 reasons, 1st the motor was free, its electric start and plenty powerful enough. 2nd i didnt want the expense and complexity of a pto gear box and figuring out the geometry of mantaining belt tension while being able to pivot up and down and break away rearward.

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
Nice! Folks who think outside the box are a special breed, and there is no telling what they may come up with.

I get the idea, looking at that truck, working with this kind of project is something you enjoy, or at least good at.

Now, have the engine on a platform that can swivel on the plate it is mounted on. Then when you hit something too big the whole arm can swing back.
yes, being a engineer by trade and fixing crap that other engineers design for a living, its nice to build stuff to my likeing!!!! my problem is I like to over complicate things with electronics and various means of automation.... fyi engine is started, stopped, and winch is controlled by a network of Can interface PCBs... recycled crane parts!!!

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I likey.
Only thing I might do different is have the drive belt aligned to the top groove on the blade pulley. Then you could have another blade/pulley driven off the bottom groove mounted inboard for twice the cutting

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
That's good work right there! Simple enough for repairs down the road also.

Can you post a link to the video? I tried searching utube for diy ditch mowers, there is a ton of them, a bunch just look like an accident waiting to happen!

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Makes me wonder how small of a set a blades you could find for a brush hog. The heavy ones that are hinged, for large stationary objects. Or with your Fab skills, possibly make your own. I'd be nervous of not getting strong enough hinge pins.

I could see with every pass deeper in the ditch, the more objects will be waiting!

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
I would never attempt to fav something reciprocating like this, I have no way to reliably harden the blades, hub and or the bolts. There is a company called Billy Goat I think, they build a 30” walk behind brush cutter. I’m pretty sure they use a swinging blade and stump jumper style head on a belt driven spindle. That’s about the only direction I would lean. Headed OTC to South America for the week, will pull the blade off and take some pictures when I get home, never bent a blade up like this before an I have hit some pretty serious crap!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Started as an idea,...

https://uploads.tapatalk-.....[/img.]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Please also upload the pics at some point to this website so they get archived. Tapatalk will eventually shut off free access to the pics making this great thread useless to others.

pretty easy to do... you can use the tapatalk links they provided to upload them to here

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
have seen where folks made something to cut using chains instead of a blade.... a heavy duty weed eater you might say.

their reasoning was same as those who desire a swinging blade.... large untended objects don't destroy everything you just built.

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
have seen where folks made something to cut using chains instead of a blade.... a heavy duty weed eater you might say.

their reasoning was same as those who desire a swinging blade.... large untended objects don't destroy everything you just built.

problem with the chains is you don't get a good finish cut in grass, the intent is to knock all the brush down and get it under control, then let the wild grass takeover that can be manicured. the rock was a minor speed bump in my grand master plan... other than taking over the world!!! :cool:

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
Please also upload the pics at some point to this website so they get archived. Tapatalk will eventually shut off free access to the pics making this great thread useless to others.

pretty easy to do... you can use the tapatalk links they provided to upload them to here
what website? I thought by uploading direct to with the app it archived them..... I have failed please guide me.:confused: