L35 1999 - So much fun with a bit of clutch and air filter mysteries

ducatiduke

Jul 13, 2018
NYC
Hi! So far, my purchase has be awesome and have only had a few hiccups.
- Oil change went fine, no issues there
- I went to replace the fuel filter, I guess while I was grabbing the ring and the bowl and the darn bowl cracked! No worries, a new one is on the way.
- The thing that was unfortunate was I wanted to do the front axle case oil change, but could not fire it up to raise it to put it on blocks and really did not want to get the jacks and stands out seeing I was on dirt.
- I went to replace the air filter and d*mn it, it will not fit. I posted a few pictures of the old and new. Odd the original one looks like it have some sort of construction adhesive to keep the one part attached. Looking at the parts manual, it looks like they changed it. The air filter canister has an internal ring guide (?) and the new one is about 1/8" too wide in diameter... Plus it is shorter... Still trying to figure that one out. I am just going rinse out the old and put it back in to buy some time. Maybe someone can help me with quick fix or point me in the right direction on that one.
- The most important part of this post is to understand and fix the transmission issues. Anytime I stop the tractor and restart it, it sometimes does not go into gear. I gently try to move it back to N and then back into a gear, nothing.... I do the same while pressing in the clutch pedal, nothing... I gently go from forward to reverse and back to forward, nothing. What seems to work with the highest percentage, is to move it to N and then back to 1 wait for a moment and then it wakes up... from there, i move it to the gear I want. When this happens the power steering is not working (i.e. it is hard to move the steering wheel)... The UDT fluid is topped off, so I know it is not low. I did look online and in this forum and did not seen too much. I will not was about a WSM for a L35 because I was not able to find one in all of the places mentioned in the site. Maybe someone will send me something re the WSM...

Do any of my fellow orange army onliners have any thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
In your future posts hit enter between thoughts or issues, make it much easier to read when it's not all bunched together. ;)

Filter wise post some pictures and tell us what part numbers you ordered for the new filter.

On the transmission engagement issue, that is pointing to a pump or regulator issue.
The steering and the GSt system shares the same pump section.
Get the WSM and it will help you to test the system.

ducatiduke

Jul 13, 2018
NYC
Thx for your reply! I went back and re organized the original post and added pictures. I appreciate your feedback and insight.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thx for your reply! I went back and re organized the original post and added pictures. I appreciate your feedback and insight.
TA DA!

Sorry Wrong filter :eek:

That's the filter for a single filter setup, you have a dual filter setup.

Outer filter: P/N 32751-96260
Inner filter: P/N 32751-96270

Normally the inner filter only needs to be changed every blue moon.

And yes the metal cover is glued to the filter:

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Anytime I stop the tractor and restart it
Do you mean when you move the shuttle out of forward and into neutral?

That with the steering loss, points to the pump or possibly it's just sucking air into the pump, look for weeping leaks around the suction pipe and all fittings.
I have seen and heard of them wearing holes in the suction pipe, having bad seals, and bad connections on rubber lines causing air to become entrained in the fluid causing all sorts of issues.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
TA DA!

Sorry Wrong filter :eek:

That's the filter for a single filter setup, you have a dual filter setup.

Outer filter: P/N 32751-96260
Inner filter: P/N 32751-96270

Normally the inner filter only needs to be changed every blue moon.

And yes the metal cover is glued to the filter:

my L35s air filter does not have the glued on metal cap, it only has the rubber on both ends.

Attachments

Mpaavola

Equipment
L35
Nov 5, 2018
Shingle Springs, CA
I had the same transmission problem with my L35. It turned out to be a leak in the suction line near the hydraulic filter. Replaced the line and all was good. It was a very small weeping leak so I did not notice it until I went looking.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Other than your filter woes, NEVER, NEVER rinse the inner filter out with anything. Like Idaho Wolfman says, replacement of the inner filter is basically never.

Don't rinse the outer either. blow it out with low pressure compressed air from the INSIDE OUT.

ducatiduke

Jul 13, 2018
NYC
@NIW - Crazy! I swear my parts book does not say this, but I am going with it! I just ordered it and the WSM. Tyvm!!!

ducatiduke

Jul 13, 2018
NYC
@NIW - when you write -

That with the steering loss, points to the pump or possibly it's just sucking air into the pump, look for weeping leaks around the suction pipe and all fittings.
I have seen and heard of them wearing holes in the suction pipe, having bad seals, and bad connections on rubber lines causing air to become entrained in the fluid causing all sorts of issues.

How would you suggest troubleshooting this? Would old school vacuum testing with smoke work from the automotive days?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
@NIW - when you write -

How would you suggest troubleshooting this? Would old school vacuum testing with smoke work from the automotive days?
Look for wet spots first, if it's at all dirty, clean around all the lines with a degreaser, then run it a bit and look for fluid, it won't be much. ;)

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
There is 3. I replaced mine because they were dry rotted. Very light seepage on the protective braid but no dripping overall.