Follow up query on l234dt Clutch Issue

John RHR

Equipment
L 245 DT (emeritus) L3902
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
Folks -

This is giving me fits. I've replaced the clutch and I can't get the two halves of the tractor to come together. They're a bit less than an inch apart. The clutch itself is engaged - I can't turn the engine over with it in gear, but I can in neutral - indicating to me that the mainshaft has fully engaged the clutch. I don't think I have an issue with the pilot bearing - I replaced it and checked fit before it was installed.

So, I think the issue remains with the driveshaft to the front axle not having the splines engaged at the front axle. If I engaged 4wd, I can't turn the driveshaft with a pair of pliers, but I can turn the front tire freely. If the lever is disengaged, I can turn the driveshaft and the tire.

Is it possible to remove the front driveshaft? I'm thinking if I took it out, and completed the assembly of the two halves of the tractor and then reinstalled the shaft that that might work. Want to check here first for feedback. Any ideas or remarks about this or my original post on the issue earlier this afternoon would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

John Moorhead

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I can’t directly answer your question but if you remove the drive shaft and can then get it together then you know it was a problem with drive shaft some how
If it still won’t go together without drive shaft you can start looking hard at other problems...
Leave clutch out and see if it will go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk