Trying to swap wiring harness from a L175 on to my L1500

rajun.cajun

Equipment
L1500 with beat up 4 ft. Bush hog used mainly to mow overgrown ditches.
Mar 6, 2010
sigourney Ia
Does anybody know where i can get a L175 wiring harness that's in good shape or new? My alternator went out on my L1500 and the plug on the back of it is a 4 prong plug whereas the L175 is a 3 prong plug (or vice versa I can't remember at the moment), I figure it'll just be easier to convert to the 175 harness since the parts (key switch, start switch, alternator etc.) are readily available for that model.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You'll have a real tough time finding that wiring harness.

I would suggest you repair what you have. ;)

What are your issues?

rajun.cajun

Equipment
Mar 6, 2010
sigourney Ia
The alternator on my 1500 has 4 wires and the 175 has 3 wires, as far as i know the 175 is the only model that the parts are compatible with. I have found no diagrams or anything to tell me where the 4th wire goes and on top of that the harness is dry rotted and brittle, wires are starting to break. Half the wires have been cut so really the only thing that the harness goes to is alternator and starter, it doesn't even go to the headlights anymore. Guess I could always pull it and make a new harness but I still don't know where the 4th wire would go if I change over to the l175 alternator.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I was able to get a new harness from the dealer for my L185. Did you check for yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
If you're just looking to switch to a 3 prong, I'd look into having the current alternator rebuilt if it's rebuildable. My rebuild cost me ~$60. If your harness is shot, a new one may be in order. Jim, I ordered a regulator for an L175. They got me one and it works on my L1500, so I'm assuming that such a thing exists.

rajun.cajun

Equipment
Mar 6, 2010
sigourney Ia
I checked with my dealer and he couldn't give me much information as far as getting a harness but I didn't really push him to find out. As for the three having a built in regulator, I didn't even think about that so I'll have to dig into it deeper on mine. I don't know that rebuilding would be an option because all there are is Japanese symbols and no numbers so I don't know if someone around here would be willing to deal with.

Thanks for all the info, this gives me something to work with since I've been at a dead end for a while.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Napa and O Reillys were stumped by mine but the alternator shop found the kit in a couple minutes. Its Nippondenso alternator.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
It's a simple enough harness that you can make a new one yourself if you are handy that way. I did that on my L245 - it was so extensively butchered from the previous owner for the addition of an electric clutch on the front PTO, turn signals, various auxiliary lights, random unknown stuff, etc that I stripped it out and was able to sort it out with the help of the schematic from the manual.