Hydraulic Thumb for the Kubota BX25-D

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
After I did the install install on Land Pride grapple and third function valve my little brain got to thinking and I've decided it was time for the mechanical thumb to go on the BX. Yes it worked well but it was a royal pain having to get on and off the machine to set the thumb up.
I decided this week it was time for a mid winter break and spend some "me time" in the shop at the tractors so the hydraulic thumb is something I really wanted to do.
Finding the proper hydraulic cylinder was impossible so the next thing was to " Modify" one and I likey doing that :D

Video: http://youtu.be/BAp8_pWtq0o

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Looking GREAT!!

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Paul, That is one mod I plan on doing to my Woods B/H. Looks great! Just one question, What do you use for your graphics? I have been looking for some software since I restored a Ditchwitch trencher a few years back and the replacement decals were not available anymore.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Paul, another masterpiece... looking forward to part two.

Some guys are creative and come up with great ideas. Some guys are machinists and some are fabricators. My friend, you have it all plus a wifey that takes an interest in what you do. You are blessed!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news... but Pual buddy you miss spelled Kubota on the video title! I'm waiting to see the video, my air card is a little low on data and cant watch videos that fast

Wildfire

Equipment
patiently awaiting part deux
I might have it done late this weekend. Might being the magic word :D

Looking GREAT!!
Thanks

Paul, That is one mod I plan on doing to my Woods B/H. Looks great! Just one question, What do you use for your graphics? I have been looking for some software since I restored a Ditchwitch trencher a few years back and the replacement decals were not available anymore.
That's my wife's department. About the only thing I know about graphics when she hands them to me is I peel and stick. :D
I do know she got a number of different programs she relies on. Some of them look complicated to me but I'll ask her about it in the morning.
You couldn't get a local graphic shop to do yours?

Paul, another masterpiece... looking forward to part two.

Some guys are creative and come up with great ideas. Some guys are machinists and some are fabricators. My friend, you have it all plus a wifey that takes an interest in what you do. You are blessed!
Well thanks Steve for your vote of confidence. Yesterday while in the shop doing the hydraulic thumb mod I looked at my wife and said " Why do I put myself through this stuff"

Ya it was that kind of day on this mod. I ran into an unexpected problem with the mod. Wasn't sure how I was going to get around it then figured out a way that required running the lathe so I went in to start up the lathe and when I hit the start button I popped a start up relay and then it wouldn't fire up. :mad:

To make a long story short I repaired the relay, got the lathe online again and worked around the issue. I was 15 minutes away from quitting or crying and then again maybe both :D

The Part 2 video will show what can go wrong doing this sort of stuff and just how there are times that you need to pull a rabbit out of your hat to make it all work.

At this point in time I'm happy to report that the hydraulic thumb is now alive and it sure works nice and love the way it's done. I have to design and machine a custom switch and holder for the Back hoe lever and a aluminum cover for that new third function valve then it's completed.

Without a doubt my wife is my best friend. She has always supported me no matter why I've done and some of my ideas have been very much out there but they've always worked out (so far) ;)

Thanks for your kind words and your right, when it comes to my wife I'm am truly blessed :)

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news... but Pual buddy you miss spelled Kubota on the video title! I'm waiting to see the video, my air card is a little low on data and cant watch videos that fast
No I didn't! You spelled "Paul" wrong though:mad:

Yes I did and just fixed it :D

Every now and then I get a brain fart, well it's actually more frequent than every now and then but it works out in the end. :eek:

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
No I didn't! You spelled "Paul" wrong though:mad:

Yes I did and just fixed it :D

Every now and then I get a brain fart, well it's actually more frequent than every now and then but it works out in the end. :eek:
I think you fixed it around the time I posted this, on Youtube it went from Kobota to Kubota... sorry PAUL, fat finger of mine stutter on the key board every now and then :D

Wildfire

Equipment
I think you fixed it around the time I posted this, on Youtube it went from Kobota to Kubota... sorry PAUL, fat finger of mine stutter on the key board every now and then :D

:D Its so easy to have a typo. Good thing I don't use this friggen iPad to make a video. With its auto correct you'd never know what I'd be trying to say.

I sent an email to a buddy a few days ago and he replied back saying " can you translate? Your iPad took over and I can't understand what it's saying" :D

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Paul thanks for posting. Your work is AMAZING !

What you have done in part 1 in my mind is better than factory. It's one thing to have all the right tools. It is totally another thing to use them to their fullest potential. You are a gifted man, to envision something then to go out create it.

Looking forward to part 2. I'm very interested and seeing the end result of your version of the Land Pride $450 switch. I'm am confident it will be a better design than the original.

Keep up the Awesome work. :D

Wildfire

Equipment
Paul thanks for posting. Your work is AMAZING !

What you have done in part 1 in my mind is better than factory. It's one thing to have all the right tools. It is totally another thing to use them to their fullest potential. You are a gifted man, to envision something then to go out create it.

Looking forward to part 2. I'm very interested and seeing the end result of your version of the Land Pride $450 switch. I'm am confident it will be a better design than the original.

Keep up the Awesome work. :D
Thanks Dan. Your to kind :)

Well Part 2 is done and the hydraulic thumb is now completed. After a bit of thought I came up with a design for the switch that I'm more than happy with and it only cost me $1.99.
Take a look. It's a long video at 40 minutes but you'll get to see some of the weird things that can and will go wrong during a build like this but that's what makes it fun :D

Part #2 Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW1SnOXC4Cw

rbjoseph25

Equipment
95 B7200HST 4X4
Feb 22, 2014
Ridgeway
I just watched this and pt1 about an hr ago. Love the work you do. I can not believe they wanted $450 for that grapple switch, that's crazy. I like what you did better. With the right tools, anything can be done.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hell Paul, is one of those guys that if you gave him a broken stapler and a roll of toilet paper he could build something better than factory

Wildfire

Equipment
Thanks guys. Skeets you crack me up. I should hire you as my agent :D.

I was pretty rotted about the price of the switch and that's why I mentioned it a number of times on the two part video. There's no way to justify that cost. There's no new technology in it, there's nothing other than a few wires and plastic so it boils down to just gouging the customer and I want them to know it.

That being said their $500 switch is a handful for the best of us. It's really big. The switch I used cost me $1.99 and I had the aluminum in the shop for a few years left over from a job so that was free. Yes it took me a few hours to fabricate it but that's what these projects is all about. :)

Here's a few photos of the switch. It sure works well.

randu

Equipment
RTV 1100 B2650/FEL/BH
Dec 15, 2010
Alpena,MI
Paul,
You sure do amaze me with your problem solving with the hydraulic fittings and switch fabrication. Now, if you only had a 3-D printer, you could have cloned the FEL knob and put your own switch in it.
I also plan to put the hydraulic cylinder on my thumb but I want to find a different place to get the power from since I don't have the valve setup you do, maybe off the backhoe stack or maybe a mechanical valve linked to a foot pedal.
Great work and a great instructional video and explanation for those of us who lack the experience you have.
Randy

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
You are the best. What like about your "Mod's" when thing do not go as you would like you show it. That take some balls. It is real life.
I saw the fender for the front tires. They are cute. I got three Kubota's and we can not get these in the USA. I have them on my JD.

Keep up the great work.

David Pidgeon

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
I allways wounder if you still have enough time to work for money...
The stuff looks great, but also time consuming.

This year I have no time to create something in the workshop, to much traveling. :confused:

Wildfire

Equipment
Paul,
You sure do amaze me with your problem solving with the hydraulic fittings and switch fabrication. Now, if you only had a 3-D printer, you could have cloned the FEL knob and put your own switch in it.
I also plan to put the hydraulic cylinder on my thumb but I want to find a different place to get the power from since I don't have the valve setup you do, maybe off the backhoe stack or maybe a mechanical valve linked to a foot pedal.
Great work and a great instructional video and explanation for those of us who lack the experience you have.
Randy
Thanks Randy. You could take your hydraulic pressure from your back hoe and use a mechanical valve to operate it all. I'll see if I can find the link for you later on to show how one guy did it. Ya a 3-D printer would be great. I should ask wifey if there's one in our future :D

Glad your enjoying the video's. Thanks so much.

You are the best. What like about your "Mod's" when thing do not go as you would like you show it. That take some balls. It is real life.
I saw the fender for the front tires. They are cute. I got three Kubota's and we can not get these in the USA. I have them on my JD.

Keep up the great work.

David Pidgeon
Thanks David. Well I always believed that one should keep it real. Show the good with the bad. I buddies tell me I'm at my best when I'm up to my neck in poop lol. I like problem solving and really that's what we do here at the shop. The fenders you see on the BX are from a John Deere. I custom built the brackets. I did it because the 5740 has the front fenders and now they match lol

I allways wounder if you still have enough time to work for money...
The stuff looks great, but also time consuming.

This year I have no time to create something in the workshop, to much traveling. :confused:
It's tough carl. We do a lot of work here at the shop but I'd like to just do my own thing all the time but I need to pay the bills. Your right. It takes a lot of time to do this stuff. someone asked me how many hours were on my BX. I said 72 hours operating it and 500 hours working on it :)

Nice hearing from you my friend.

Wildfire

Equipment