b2710 front wheel problem

jamesparkhyde

Equipment
l295dt, B27
Mar 11, 2010
Langley, WA, USA
My B2710 makes a kind of whirring noise that gets worse and louder the faster I go. It is coming from somewhere around the front right wheel. I opened up the housing and saw that the main wheel bearing is fine, and the gears I can see look great too. The noise is somewhat intermittent, but quite frequent, and happens in forward or reverse. It's been like this for over a year, but it is slowly getting worse. Any ideas where it is coming from? I don't want to just start taking everything apart I can get some advice on where to look.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Could be one of the other bearings in the system but I don't have much to offer besides that. I'd suggest a damaged belt in the tire but I don't see a tractor tire turning fast enough. It's 4wd I take it? You might consider getting all 4 tires up off the ground on jack stands and letting the tires spin while you listen. Be careful if you try that! I'd have someone else in the seat in case something goes wrong and put it in reverse if you're standing in front of it. A long solid object like a ratchet extension or a wooden dowel rod makes a great stethoscope for hearing bad bearings.