Any tricks to ditch digging?

chuck99z28

Premium Member

Equipment
BX23s
Aug 13, 2019
Virginia
I have a BX23s and I dug a 20 ft trench for some drain pipe, and am now looking at doing 200 ft for irrigation pipe. Is there a trick to moving the tractor forward without having to get off and turn the seat forward?

I tried raising the FEL and I can lift the rear wheels and stabilizers.

Do you have to take the brakes off too? Does this even work on such a small tractor? Or does it hurt anything to do it?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The trick is to keep saying to yourself “man Im glad I dont have to dig this trench by hand”. After your knees give out the trick is convincing the wife you need a bigger TLB with a swivel seat and creeper function.

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
The normal method is; drive the tractor into position in line with the needed trench and make sure the front wheels are straight (do not lock the brakes), place the transmission in neutral, lower the FEL, lower the stabilizers and dig as far as you can reach. Then to move, reach around and raise the FEL, raise the stabilizers, and use the BH to push the tractor forward. You don't have to raise the rear wheels off the ground since the tractor is in neutral. Once into the new position, lower the FEL, lower your stabilizers and continue digging.

chuck99z28

Premium Member

Equipment
BX23s
Aug 13, 2019
Virginia
The trick is to keep saying to yourself “man Im glad I dont have to dig this trench by hand”. After your knees give out the trick is convincing the wife you need a bigger TLB with a swivel seat and creeper function.
Yes, that's exactly what I've been doing so far.

chuck99z28

Premium Member

Equipment
BX23s
Aug 13, 2019
Virginia
The normal method is; drive the tractor into position in line with the needed trench and make sure the front wheels are straight (do not lock the brakes), place the transmission in neutral, lower the FEL, lower the stabilizers and dig as far as you can reach. Then to move, reach around and raise the FEL, raise the stabilizers, and use the BH to push the tractor forward. You don't have to raise the rear wheels off the ground since the tractor is in neutral. Once into the new position, lower the FEL, lower your stabilizers and continue digging.
brilliant, thanks

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Do as biker said.

One more trick you can use. A bit of stick (or if your arms are long enough) you can leave the machine in gear and simply press the go pedal by hand (or stick) and steer as well all while remaining in the backhoe seat position. It's useful for when your digging around a curve.

Trust me, I've done it many times on the BX when I had it.

PS. Be careful using either method on slopes....Your hoe/loader can be used for brakes.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re dd's post
I think on my BX23S the engine dies as it 'knows' you're in 'backhoe' mode and not 'driver' mode.
I'll check later this week..good excuse for some 'seat time' !

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
re dd's post
I think on my BX23S the engine dies as it 'knows' you're in 'backhoe' mode and not 'driver' mode.
I'll check later this week..good excuse for some 'seat time' !
It doesn't know you're in "backhoe mode", but if you push too hard and reaching down around to that pedal, you're just taking too much weight off the seat and triggers the dead man switch.

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
I have always done as Bikerdib suggests. I stop with my boom all the way up, my dipper all the way in, and my bucket teeth pointed straight down. I twist my body left, my left hand lifts the FEL up a bit, while my right hand toggles both stabilizers up about half way. Next I rotate my body back straight, and drop the teeth straight down into my trench, and by extending the dipper and boom get myself pushed back to where I want to be. Then, leaving the bucket down in the trench, I twist my body to the left, drop the FEL, and the stabilizers, and right back to digging. Practice a bit and it becomes second nature, I don’t even think about it any more. Machine is in neutral, so nothing in the HST can be damaged.

Jerry

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
well written & easy to follow.

this is how ive always done it on small tractors with hoe's.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You ask for any tricks to ditch digging. One learns it pretty quick, but think about where you put the spoils so you can get to them the easiest when placing them back in the ditch, and not in your way as you go. Often times the answer to these questions depends on where you start your digging.

Last edited:

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
You ask for any tricks to ditch digging. One learns it pretty quick, but think about where you put the spoils so you can get to them the easiest when placing them back in the ditch, and not it your way as you go. Often times the answer to these questions depends on where you start your digging.
On that note another tip, if possible as you dig, segregate the topsoil from the dirt below so you can try to put the topsoil back on top and not down in the hole. Not always possible, depends on the circumstances.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
PA452, right on. And if you're removing sod take off a few inches of soil with it and put it out of the way to have it to lay back on top.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
This thread makes me want to get a BH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When I was reading through the manual for the BH I recently bought it had directions on how to dig a grave :eek:. I quickly hid the manual because if my wife ever finds the bill and the manual then I know where I’ll be sleeping lol.