Best place to add lights to an L2501

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Looking to add auxiliary lights to my new L2501. The obvious place is the ROPs bar, but I don't like how the light shines brightly on the area right in front of you, including the hood and instrument panel. On my MX4800, I have a canopy and mounted the lights at the leading edge of the canopy which puts them far enough ahead to provide non-distracting light with some reach. Since I have no canopy on the 2501, anyone think of a good place besides the ROPs to put them? Somewhere reasonably protected?

I'm likely to buy Rigid D-Series Pro Flood lights. I've bought a variety of the round and square multi-LED lights but they are cheap...I've had the lenses fall out, the lights get water in them, etc. I've had the Rigids on the MX for over a year now, tractor always stored outside, zero issue.

Thanks in advance

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I tried lights on the ROPS of a couple tractors and wasn't happy with them. The best setup I had before getting a cabbed tractor was a bracket fastened to the part of the loader frame that stays on the tractor. ROPS mounted work lights attracted bugs in warm weather and probably because I wear glasses, provided glare year-round. This was true with both halogens and LED's.

Here's a post about what worked for me on a cabbed tractor. Six Maxxima floods (2 forward and two rear at roof, two in grill guard) and a cube tucked in the stationary loader tube on each side. Flip a couple switches and it's daytime all around the Kubota:

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41723

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I tried lights on the ROPS of a couple tractors and wasn't happy with them. The best setup I had before getting a cabbed tractor was a bracket fastened to the part of the loader frame that stays on the tractor. ROPS mounted work lights attracted bugs in warm weather and probably because I wear glasses, provided glare year-round. This was true with both halogens and LED's.

Here's a post about what worked for me on a cabbed tractor. Six Maxxima floods (2 forward and two rear at roof, two in grill guard) and a cube tucked in the stationary loader tube on each side. Flip a couple switches and it's daytime all around the Kubota:

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41723
Thanks for the advice. I really like the side-mounted loader tube lights. How did you secure them and wire them? It seems these tubes only have the opening on one end?

The brush guard idea might work, other than I typically keep my loader on since I do use it even while flail mowing to "feel" the ground. If I keep it low enough maybe that would work.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
i placed my lites on the underside of the ROPS used proper sized square U bolts works well just direct the light before final fastening
This is what I've done in the past - it works OK but I was just hoping for the light to be further forward.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I have a much smaller machine but heres a vide of stock headlights vs a 120W LED kit with two side pods and a main bar hanging from the rops. The main bar and pods are adjustable so you could probably do what you wanted.

I did it because with the front snowblower, almost 100% of the headlights get blocked.

Video should show light and throw distance. All this runs off a 20 amp fuse and i've never popped it so it doesnt draw much at all.

https://youtu.be/lhe905DcHpQ

I think this was the kit I used:
https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-ZH00...565706605&s=gateway&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-3

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Thanks for the advice. I really like the side-mounted loader tube lights. How did you secure them and wire them? It seems these tubes only have the opening on one end?

The brush guard idea might work, other than I typically keep my loader on since I do use it even while flail mowing to "feel" the ground. If I keep it low enough maybe that would work.
Made up a small angle. One leg is bolted to the light's factory mounting bracket before sliding it into the tube. I drilled and tapped the other leg to 1/4-20. Then I drilled a 5/16" hole in the tube, stuck a 1/4-20 screw through the hole and into the angle's leg.

The tube is open on the engine side for easy access with wires.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Made up a small angle. One leg is bolted to the light's factory mounting bracket before sliding it into the tube. I drilled and tapped the other leg to 1/4-20. Then I drilled a 5/16" hole in the tube, stuck a 1/4-20 screw through the hole and into the angle's leg.

The tube is open on the engine side for easy access with wires.
Thanks. On some tractors, the tube is not open.

Although I doubt there is any real harm, I'm not totally comfortable drilling the tube. I could do an adhesive or magnet mount though.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Check out the LED bar lights you will be pleased with how brilliant they are compared to the halogens and standard pot lighting. I put one on the front and back of the cab and tossed out the halogens.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/14-in-double-row-led-light-bar/A-p8598997e

More lumens the better. These are 5280 lumens and use only 5W. One bulb has 10x better lighting than the 4x50W OEM halogens it replaced.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I ended up buying another set of Rigid Industries D-Series Pro flood lights...I will use one on my MX and one on my L2501 as backup lights.

Then I bought a set of Baja Designs combo driving / flood lights for the L2501 which I will end up installing on the ROPs bar. Both Rigid and Baja Designs are higher quality lights with headquarters in the US, lifetime warranties, and quality optics and water proofing.

I thought about a light bar but you cannot angle them off to the sides at all.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Just wondering if it's going to be back on the ROPS if more of a spot light might project better, and also spill less light on the dash, hood, etc?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Problem I had with lights mounted on the rops was bugs. I got two mounted on mine and have used them once.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The spot lights do avoid most of the glare off the dash and hood, but they only give light of limited use. They reach out further than I need, but only illuminate a smaller area. I need to see what I am doing right in front of the tractor and to the sides, for mowing. The lights are arriving today; I'll give an update / photos once I get them installed.

FordTech, I see you're in the deep south. Up here in NH, I run lights only in the fall when it gets darker sooner..and when that happens, the temps are usually in the mid 40's to lower 50's. No bugs.