L1500DT (L175) Grease points and tips

njblanco10

Equipment
l1500dt, l175
Jan 6, 2018
Larsen Bay, Alaska
Hey guys,

I am new to owning a tractor, but loving it so far. I try to upkeep my equipment and know grease is important. I have a couple questions and concerns. Thanks for your time and help:

The zerk fittings on the ball joints are not taking grease very well in my opinion. They seem fairly rusted up and this may be the problem. Would it be advisable to replace them with new zerk fittings?

Also, there are zerk fittings on the housings near the end of the axles. Approximately how much grease should I put in, and is there any way of measuring how much is already in there? Thanks for input. Take care.

Are there other parts of this equipment I should grease thoroughly?

Thanks for input. Take care.

- Nick
Larsen Bay, Alaska

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I replaced all of the zerks on my tractor just because they were cheap and available. Most will be the same size and threads (probably metric thread)

The clutch and brake pedals are greased under the tractor and need it frequently to stay loose on my tractor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Dried up grease points may not take grease well initially, but if any grease is going in the zerks are likely not the problem (easy replacement though).
For points that are open (like bushings) I have generally greased until I see new grease ooze out. For bearings I don’t believe you will get a definitive answer, but I give them 3 pumps. I don’t have any zerks on an axle, but have heard of plugs that are removed prior to greasing, with the idea that you grease until it comes out the check plug.
Look around for an owners manual and / or service manual, as they would be a big help. Enjoy your new tractor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro