transporting a b7001

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
This unit lists at 475 kg, or about 1100 lbs. With the loader and counterweight, I would guess that it is just over 1500 lbs. It is certainly small enough to fit in my F-250, so the only issue is loading it.

I have a pair of aluminum ramp brackets, which claim to be rated at 750 lbs each when used with an 8' 2x8. To me it looks like these sag a lot just loading my riding mower. Would a 2x8 really be strong enough by itself? Would a 2x4 on edge underneath each plank be enough additional support? Or should I spend $200 at Princess Auto and get their 1500 lb loading ramp?

Some years ago I made a pair of ramps, each using 4 2x6's on edge, bolted together with spacers between to make them wider than the tires. These were way overkill for loading a small 4x4 into the truck, but I no longer have them. Lumber cost would be about $25, then the hardware and time involved.

I have a portable winch set up on the pickup box, so I don't need to drive the tractor on.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Stay away from the 2 x period, they are too weak to take this kind of weight. You would have 750 pounds on each board which is well above shear and tensile strength of most species of soft wood. The height of the grade and the distance to even winch on would bow those board over that spand to the point they would snap. Now, if you install a standard perpendicular to the 2 x 8 x 8 at mid point span and add two 2 x 4 x 8s for truss mid span of the perpendicular standard angled back into the 2 x 8 x 8, use bolts, no nails, not even glue nails... and I'll sign off on the design....;) Believe me no one will steal your ramps, they will think their part of a roof truss system left over from a construction project.... ( LOL ) :D

Last edited: