B2400 hydrostatic problems

jcullers4

Equipment
Kubota B2400
May 15, 2010
fayetteville, ar
Need some help here. I have a 1500 hour B2400 HST. Here is whats going on. All the hydraulic functions work perfectly including the FEL and the 3 point. In REVERSE the power is completely normal. Put it against a tree in reverse and she'll spin all four no problem. The problem is VERY LOW POWER IN FORWARD. It will pull itself in low range but will not climb very much of an incline or obstacle. In high range it will barely try to pull itself on flat ground, goes normal on a down hill, and you can forget it on any kind of incline. Hydraulic fluid and filter have been replaced this morning but the problem persists. Any suggestions.

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
Sounds like a hydro problem, does it also have an hst filter? Checking your hst pressures would be the next thing in line. Maybe pull the trans. strainer to check for debris. Did the old filter have debris in it? Maybe cut it open and see what is in the bottom.

KubotaTech

Equipment
Apr 1, 2010
PA
You may want to check the forward relief pressure and reverse relief pressure. If you arent sure where to check it or dont have the fitting, you may want to get a dealer to check it out.

jcullers4

Equipment
Kubota B2400
May 15, 2010
fayetteville, ar
Ok. I have swapped out the forward/reverse high pressure relief valves to the opposite sides yet am getting the same result. Good reverse power, low forward power. Any further suggestions would be mucho appreciated. Thanks.

KubotaTech

Equipment
Apr 1, 2010
PA
Does it make any abnormal hydraulic noises when you move the pedal in forward or reverse? By switching the relief valves and nothing happening, it seems like the relief valves are not the cause. To check the pressure, there are plugs to remove from the valve block and you put a gauge in, but I am not exactly sure which plugs they are.

jcullers4

Equipment
Kubota B2400
May 15, 2010
fayetteville, ar
As for noise, it just makes that good old hydro whine once forward motion becomes strained or stalled. And you are correct Kubotatech about the pressure check ports. They are very easy to access from underneath the tractor. There are three ports. The forward high pressure relief (left) the charge relief (middle), and the reverse high pressure(right). I am being loaned a pressure gauge and HST adapters this evening from a buddy. I'll check the pressures tonight. Not sure what's next if it comes back low. Any ideas?:confused:

KubotaTech

Equipment
Apr 1, 2010
PA
From the symptoms I would have to guess your forward relief pressure will be low. If that is the case, I would guess it is something internal, since you had switched the relief valves and nothing had changed. If the charge pressure is low, maybe the charge relief or charge pump is to blame. Post it when you get the result.

jcullers4

Equipment
Kubota B2400
May 15, 2010
fayetteville, ar
I'll be getting into it deeper this weekend. I'll let you all know the verdict. I've been making lots of calls and after much ado....it doesn't sound good. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help thus far.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
JC.... unfortunately oit sounds like a hydro issue to me. I wopuld get up close and personal with the WSM for your tractor before making any decisions... Remember the Law of the 7 P's.

PLENTY OF PRIOR PLANNING PREVENTS PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

Plus it will save you time and money:eek: Butch

jcullers4

Equipment
Kubota B2400
May 15, 2010
fayetteville, ar
Butch,

FREAKING outstanding advice (the 7 p's). I'll be using that one at work man. Well, I have unfortunately narrowed it down to the internals. I'm bettin' on the swash plate being the culprit, but we'll see.

I split the lil' booger apart on saturday afternoon. Not near as bad as I thought it would be. Took a smooth 4 1/2 hours though. I'd have to say nearly half of that was due to caution while entering the unknown. Hopefully I'll never get a chance to beat my time.

Got a buddy at work who used to work at a local tractor dealership as a mechanic so he's the man from this point. We're gonna tackle the inner workings together. Hopefully this ol' boy will get an education along the way.

LATER ,:cool:
JC

jcullers4

Equipment
Kubota B2400
May 15, 2010
fayetteville, ar
Well, we broke into the transmission and have found the problem. On the pump side cylinder block all the valves are rather worn on the ends and have developed a bit of a ridge on them. The bearing, washer, and swash plate are all either pitted or scratched. The cradle bearings for the swash plate look to be OK but i'll not be taking any chances.
As for the motor side, everything seems to be just as it should be. I can't find anything that seems to be out of tolerance, so I don't think I'll have to replace anything north of the pump side.
Now comes a matter of price shopping and weighing the decision of rebuild or spend a little more and just put a whole new unit in. I am checking prices at Coleman Equipment, Messicks, and my local dealership for prices. If anyone has other suggestions on where to look for replacement parts I'd be very grateful for the input.

Gettin' Closer,:rolleyes:
JC

jcullers4

Equipment
Kubota B2400
May 15, 2010
fayetteville, ar
WHAT A JOKE!?

Kubota TOTALLY puts the shaft to you on parts. To replace the parts mentioned in my last post plus a couple other oddball seals, gaskets, and so on it would cost......drumroll please...........NEARLY $1,500.00!!!!! Not to mention paying a guy to reassemble the thing probably $100 - $200 right there. Meanwhile an ENTIRE HST UNIT, I'm talkin' bout the whole thing, new casing, valve body, shaft.........everything, will cost $1,945.00. WOW KUBOTA. Way to encourage people to reduce reuse and recycle.

OF COURSE I'm going with the new unit that is guaranteed to work for an extra 450 bucks. Meanwhile I've got a 75% good used HST unit that is worth JACK SQUAT. Who would want to dump $1,500 into a used hst unit that you are not 110% sure there is nothing else the matter with, when you could just chunk it, throw in a little extra, and get a brand new warranted unit.You'd have to be nuts.

I guess I owe KUBOTA a BIG THANKS. Thanks for overpricing your parts to the point of absurdity. Otherwise I may have wasted my valuable time tinkering away on that nasty ol' transmission in effort to repair it and get more use out an otherwise perfectly good piece of equipment. But nope thanks to your BRILLIANT pricing scheme I now don't even have to think TWICE. I can simply THROW OUT THE OLD and SLAP IN A NEW ONE. Really appreciate all the time ( not money ) you're saving me. You guys are the BEST.

I'll be outside by the mailbox,
JC:cool:

P.S. Do I sound bitter?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Many, as in most dealers are scarred stiff to repair a hydrostat! Kubota sell many more new units than parts because the demand is much higher. Install the new hydro and be happy you don't have a JD!
Ed

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
If this is any consolation... my neighbor had a HSD to go out on his tractor. Being the do it yourself king of guy.... he rebuilt it.

Not once.... but three times (all with the tear down and reassembly required):eek: and still ended up getting a new bolt in unit.

I have a fully equiped shop and if my HSD goes out.... based on what I have seen others experience, I am replacing the unit new.

But you can bet your sweet BIPPY (a neat 60's term for you young whipper snappers:D) I will do an autopsy on the old unit and MAY even attempt to repair it fo a standby in case times get tougher than thay are now.

Butch:cool:

jcullers4

Equipment
Kubota B2400
May 15, 2010
fayetteville, ar
BACK IN ACTION. She's back together and working great. Bought a new hsd from my local dealer (price is the same anywhere you try). It came in a few days later. Complete unit already assembled ( less a bearing and oil seal around the front output shaft) was easy to install. Definitely needed another set of hands for wiggling the little booger back together. After about 30 mins it was back to a one man show strapping everything back together. Topped it of with new fluid and away she rolled. Thanks to everyone on here that offered advice and/or direction it is greatly appreciated. :):D:):)