L3750 Oil level on dipstick

Wallyiii

Equipment
L3750
May 17, 2015
Griffin, Ga
Hey guys which mark do i go by on my L3750 mid 80's oil dipstick, there is a mark about 1/2" off tip then another 2" or so up from that. Is it between the two or to the first mark? :rolleyes:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The L3 chassis (L3350. L3750, L4150, L4350, L4850, L5450) has a very wide range of acceptable transmission hydraulic oil level. If it's above the first mark it has enough to work all day in summer heat without exceeding the design temp for the oil in the reservoir. Kub is pretty conservative - the higher mark just means there's no reason to own any more fluid than that, just to carry it around in your tractor.

Last edited:

Wallyiii

Equipment
L3750
May 17, 2015
Griffin, Ga
I did not know that the hydraulic fluid was same as for the engine oil. Are you saying the hydraulics (three point hitch lift & the front end loader uses the oil from the engine as well? I used 10W40 is that ok?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I did not know that the hydraulic fluid was same as for the engine oil. Are you saying the hydraulics (three point hitch lift & the front end loader uses the oil from the engine as well? I used 10W40 is that ok?
WAIT, WHAT, WHAT ????

No the Three point lift and loader don't take the same oil as the engine!

What dip stick are you talking about???
One on the engine or elsewhere?

The transmission and rearend use hydraulic fluid which is the same fluid as the three point lift and the loader.

Next if you were talking about the hydraulics yes it's 100% the wrong oil type, drain all of it and replace all the filters and UDT hydraulic fluid.

Now if it's engine oil you are talking about , no it's not OK, it's still wrong as it should be 15w40, again drain and replace filter, there is a difference between gasoline engine oil (10w40) and diesel engine oil (15w40).
As far as the marks go on the dipstick on the engine fill to the top mark.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
When Tooljunkie mentioned a one-gallon difference in the dipstick marks I was sure we were talking about the hydraulic dipstick, not the engine dipstick. I shouldn't have assumed that.

Luckily adding a small amount of 15w40 to the hydraulic reservoir will not hurt a L3750. Anybody new to tractors needs to be aware there are different oil types in it that should not be mixed. Front axle, engine and transmission are three separate volumes. The viscosity and additives are different, although the base oil is often the same. Mixing in a small amount of the wrong oil weight is not a huge deal. Draining and replacement is not urgent.

Back when Thomas skid-steers (Canadian) introduced hydrostatic drives they actually recommended 10W30 for the whole hydraulic system.

Last edited: